280E manual trans
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 7:04 PM
jdc1244

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: 280E manual trans

iNeon - 6/8/2006 6:30 AM

Isn't this car mechanically fuel injected? No computer, but I do think that the key needs to be on so the electrical parts themselves are on?

That’s a good question – Bosch K Jetronic with Lambda, using an oxygen sensor and a primitive control unit to provide electronic control to the air/fuel mixture, was available in 1980. That means it may not have been used until the 1981 model year cars. The car you’re considering may be mechanical only, particularly if it was built in 1979.

Provided the chassis is not rusted and the engine not abused, you have a restoration car. Which means you need to have the money to do the restoration or be able to do it yourself. Unless you can invest that kind of time or money I’d council not to buy the car.
#20549 - in reply to #20346
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 9:59 PM
iNeon

I already have a VW to futz with that needs to be put back together.

It had enough rust for me to think about waiting, so I think I am going to, it is just too rusty and too many dents.
#20615 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 11:36 PM
BenzDieselTuner

oh well, next time................

just leave a P3 card on it, so that the new owner can come discuss with us!

Edited by BenzDieselTuner 6/8/2006 11:45 PM
#20636 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/10/2006 8:04 AM
iNeon

JDC--

The car was very dented and had rust that did not show badly yet, but most (i want to say 3) of the jack points had these little rings of rust around them, and if you pressed a fingernail in there, it was soft.

The battery tray looked like it was just surface rust, but i did the same thing and poked a hole in it.

It needs both bumpers worked on or replaced, a new radiator, fan, fan surround(pushed into belts) electric fan an a/c condensor and a single electric fan support rail from the fairly light front damage... not including cosmetics(grille, star, lower air dam, headlight bezel)

it needs a rear passsengers door, the rear drivers corner isn't flat, and has a dent, one of the front fenders also had a dentish appearance.

the interior didnt look terrible, but it did not smell like one of these cars should(a little musty from the seat stuffing and like cigar smoke/leather conditioner and a little ass sweat thrown in for good measure) It just smelled wrong.

The short of it: this car is a parts car that may or may not even run-- i don't know either way, so I planned to bid accordingly. Since the mechanicals AND body are not really useable for parts, the cooling system is not useable for parts and the euro interior smells bad(ive found smells very hard to remove before) It really isn't a valuable car. I can search harder and find a different car for roughly 2x the price and drive it home-- but i need to finish the vw and then think about another-- the price this car is priced at, will finish the vw on a shoestring budget(economy paint, new seals, mexibumpers) and that is the better use of it.

I went in thinking that it was a project, but a small one-- like shlomo, not a full-tilt $10,000 and not done yet kind of project. A w123 is not worth tha kind of expense yet, and this one will be way too far gone before i'd be able to get to it.

Stay tuned to off-topic-- the VW will be worth looking at in a few months=)
#21276 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/10/2006 11:50 AM
jdc1244

RE: 280E manual trans

The the car is in such poor condition is sad, needless to say. It is relatively unique, at least in the US. We can only hope someone why wishes to restore the car ends up with it.

It's wise for you to pass on the car and focus on your veedub - looking forward to hearing of the progress.
#21292 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 9:32 AM
BenzDieselTuner

RE: 280E manual trans

yep, that'll be loads of fun i bet..........hopefully with lots of pics......
#21404 - in reply to #18505
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 3 123