280E manual trans
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 10:56 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: 280E manual trans

iunno jdc-- id assume a leak=)

I have big black stains on both parking spots now because of Shlomo-- so this wouldn't be any different=)
#19884 - in reply to #18505
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 10:58 PM
BenzDieselTuner

yeah, but if its a main transmission seal leak, then its bad!

my car came with one.........

now its gone, thanks to the seal moisturizing effects of Amsoil ATF........

still, i'd buy it............

fill it with Shell Premium or something as soon as u get her, and ad some cleaner, and she should purr............

gotta fix on that ignition system though.....
#19887 - in reply to #19884
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 11:03 PM
jdc1244

RE: 280E manual trans

I'd check to see how bad the leak is. If it's the p/s for example that's not a big deal.
#19891 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 2:25 PM
Nutz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006

ineon,

If you are going to add US style bumpers then you will need to punch holes in the rear section for the bumper shocks to insert and I cant remember if I had to do the same on the front though when I changed my Euro bumpers for US spec.

I say you get it and maybe we can trade bumpers ???

#20145 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 4:08 PM
iNeon

Now, now-- they only look a little bent, I'm kinda sure they can be repaired, and for less than the $350.00 apiece I have seen them advertised for used. I was just wondering if US bumpers were direct-fit for temporary type fitting, but if you have to modify sheetmetal(and bastardize the car for life in doing so) it'd make more sense not to mess with that.

Now, for the big question--

Will MBUSA dealerships make a key for it(he does not have a key) with jus a signed title before it comes back in my name if I do purchase it? He claims that it needs a new ignition cylinder(I have not seen it yet, I do hope noone drove it with a screwdriver) because the key was lost, but why wouldn't he just have a locksmith cut a key?

Will they have issues because it is not a US model?

Which leads me to-- Just going on a visual inspection, will it be way too much of a gamble? It does seem like the car has received *official* beater status at some point in its life, and I worry that it is mechanically in shambles and he is trying to claim there is no key so he can get a few hundred bux on the assumption that it runs.

Can it be push-started just to check if it runs, like an old vw? Any other *fag proof* (heh heh) way of checking for running status in someone elses driveway? jump wire x to terminal y, or is it much harder than that?

Finally--

Should I risk it and drive Shlomo to let him know that I do value these kinds of cars, or will that send the "i can fix it cheaply, so will stand to make the profit you couldn't" vibes that made the 500se lady not accept my offer? I worry both ways-- If I show up in a newer car like the leon, he may think I have money to spend(I really don't-- one has to go after this one) and if i show up in the shlomo, then he will think I can repair anything that is wrong with it, and want his full asking price(800bux) any quick tips on negotiations?

Finally FINALLY--

I looked at the pictures again, and it kinda looks like one minor accident in the front and lots of oxidized paint may be making it look worse than it really is. If the interior is fairly clean(cloth seats not terribly stained, carpets the same etc etc) I think it wouldn't be a bad deal, even if it would need some reconditioning-- these are the w123s every one of us dreams about, especially with the manual transmission and 4 headrests! It really depends if there is rust that is hiding in door jambs, under the carpets, battery tray etc etc. So maybe-- he said to call him today, so hopefully I'll know something tonight!

Throw in your last opinions and tips, please?

**edit for nutz**

Sounds like a plan, but only if you'll give me a place to stay and wash, feed me and help me fix the body whilever we are doing the swapping heh heh

Edited by iNeon 6/7/2006 4:11 PM
#20173 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 4:37 PM
Nutz
Expert

jdc1244 - 6/6/2006 6:50 PM Note the passenger side tow hook - very EuroBenz.

Is that also an Euro trait ? All my Euro W123's have them front and rear but US versions don't ?

#20186 - in reply to #19878
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 4:39 PM
Nutz
Expert

ineon,

You're SOL in regards to bathing you

#20188 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 5:12 PM
iNeon

dork-- I mean that i'd be pretty ripe from showering in sinks on the trip to Alaska..

If I were to send something that large, the postage would cost as much as going myself-- Why wouldn't I go myself, then? That's all I was saying=P
#20194 - in reply to #20188
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 5:57 PM
Nutz
Expert

iNeon - 6/7/2006 1:12 PM dork-- I mean that i'd be pretty ripe from showering in sinks on the trip to Alaska..

I know,just giving you sh!t

#20212 - in reply to #20194
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 6:05 PM
iNeon

Hows about giving me some tips for when I go to check out this car in 30 minutes?;)

I really don't even know what to look for... beyond cosmetic signs of crappiness and Visual hints at mechanical faults.

What would be problem areas beyond the normal places for rust?
#20216 - in reply to #20212
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 6:35 PM
Nutz
Expert

Pull the aircleaner housing and look for oil (blowby) inside the airflow sensor. A little is somewhat okay but excessive amounts is a sure sign of an upcoming rebuild. Check to see if the oil cooler is not leaking and hoses are in good order too. If you take a spark plug socket,pull # 1 out and check it out. Oil coated or detonation or bridging is what you want to look out for on the plugs.

Ask also when the last valve lash adjustment was done.

#20232 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 7:36 PM
jdc1244

Nutz - 6/7/2006 4:37 PM

Is that also an Euro trait ? All my Euro W123's have them front and rear but US versions don't ?

The tow hook eyes on the US cars are shorter and angle down, to accommodate the bigger bumper, I think; the Euro tow hook eyes seem longer and stick straight out.

Edit: Hey, what happened to my font?

Edited by jdc1244 6/7/2006 7:37 PM
#20240 - in reply to #20186
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 8:15 PM
iNeon

Well, ya'll--

Its beat, and I mean BEAT, a dent on every corner, missing trims, smelly interior etc. etc. etc.

The plusses are that it has good chrome(both bumpers have been hit) and most of its european bits left. It has a green dipstick, for what I assume is a SLS, warning triangle, factory tow package with a strange plug mounted right next to the exhaust(it has to be original-- its a german part)

The minusses are that it needs a rear door, the drivers door didn't latch correctly, the hood pull was inoperative(he had to use pliers) and it was not hit lightly in the front-- the a/c condensor was pushed into the radiator, but that did look to be the extent of the damage. The rear suspension did not look like it was leaking fluid, and it didnt look exactly like my 240s, so I assumed it was SLS, which is a liability on a beater, not an asset, so i am listing it here...

Do any of youall know where I could price a set of matching locks?

What would the european bits and other nice things like cloth door panels and decent seats be worth if i used the better chrome on shlomo?

He is not flexible on the price of 800 dollars, so I would need to break even, at least.

Will a 280e 5-speed bolt to shlomos engine? Ideally, if it was not so easy as removing the ignition tumbler and hotwiring it, and it running/driving ok, that would be the next step for me.

Thanks so much for discussing this stuff with me!
#20250 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 8:16 PM
Nutz
Expert

jdc1244 - 6/7/2006 3:36 PM
Nutz - 6/7/2006 4:37 PM

The tow hook eyes on the US cars are shorter and angle down, to accommodate the bigger bumper, I think; the Euro tow hook eyes seem longer and stick straight out. Edit: Hey, what happened to my font? :confuzed:

The font will be set to whomever you are quoting and their style of font.

#20251 - in reply to #20240
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 12:41 AM
BenzDieselTuner

i havnt the slightest at the moment..........ask Nutz.........i'm kaput
#20315 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 12:52 AM
Nutz
Expert

The transmission will bolt right up but you need the pedals (brake and clutch,clutch master cylinder................)

$800 huh ? Sounds like it has been driven hard and put away wet but if it runs then it may be worth getting.

#20322 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 6:30 AM
iNeon

Is it illegal to ask how to hotwire a car here?

I mean, I really am not going to steal anyones car, hopefully none of us would(I'm sure one might...) You could PM me if you feel bad about letting that information out, if you know how, that is=)

He claims that mercedes and all of the independent shops can not make a key for it, that they told him it was the 1 in 1 million that can't be rekeyed. He said that he used a screwdriver to connect the terminals on the solenoid(which was my idea too) and that it turns over, but with the key in the lock position, that the 'computer' will not allow the car to run.

Isn't this car mechanically fuel injected? No computer, but I do think that the key needs to be on so the electrical parts themselves are on?

I am so sorry for all of these questions, but its a cool car, even with all the dents, if i could have a mercedes beater, i'd simply adore it.

Oh yeah-- the odometer shows 210k...
#20346 - in reply to #18505
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 10:15 AM
BenzDieselTuner

u should go to the MB Center in Birmingham yourself, with the VIN, and find out.........who knows what some guy is telling you........
#20365 - in reply to #20346
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 2:08 PM
iNeon

Nutz - 6/7/2006 11:52 PM

The transmission will bolt right up but you need the pedals (brake and clutch,clutch master cylinder................)

$800 huh ? Sounds like it has been driven hard and put away wet but if it runs then it may be worth getting.

heh heh

We *are* talking about a whole car, now

Would the driveshaft match? My father says it is going to be 'harder than you think" but I imagine it is as simple as taking each piece off and replacing it with the piece from the manual transmission car?
#20426 - in reply to #20322
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 3:38 PM
BenzDieselTuner

i dont know..........?
#20440 - in reply to #20426
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123