Page 1 of 1 1
R/R Fuel pumps
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 5:33 PM
247hoopsfan

Date registered: Dec 1899
R/R Fuel pumps

Any one have experience changing out the twin fuel pumps? Is it a DIY job for an average backyard mechanic like me? My son's 92 300CE appears to need new ones.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 5:57 PM
Nutz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
RE: R/R Fuel pumps

It's a fairly easy job for a 'backyard' mechanic. The basics, disconnect battery ,ground out the car,pinch off the fuel line and tighten connections adequately and most importantly,inspect for leaks.

But before you throw parts at it,have you done a fuel volume and fuel pressure test to confirm that the fuel pumps are shot?

#23051 - in reply to #23029
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 12:11 PM
247hoopsfan

My son took the car to a mechanic for diagnostic test. The symtoms are it will occasionally sputter under acceleration, but drives fine most of the time. They did a fuel pressure test, and at first told him he had dirty injectors, so they ran some cleaner through it and pronounced it fixed. He picked up the car, and had the same problem. He took it back, and they say they checked it again, and found one fuel pump working weaker than the other. I question their finding , but dont know what else it could be. I dont want him to throw money at it, as 2 pumps will cost $400 or so, plus labor. If you have any suggestions, that would be great. Maybe we will try the replacement ouselves. Car has 115,000 on it. I know I had to replace the fuel pumps on my 88 300E a few years back. But before they went out, I heard a hum coming from the back of the car. And the car ran fine right up to when they quit on me.
#23368 - in reply to #23051
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 8:04 PM
jdc1244

You should not throw parts at it but the pump on my 300 SE was dead at just over 100,000 miles. If the pumps aren’t bad they more then likely will be soon. Replacing them now would not be out of line. If it fixes the problem, fine; if not you’ve done what you’ll need to do soon anyway.

My old pump was noisy, the new one completely quiet. I don’t think the pump(s) should make any noise at all. If you do replace the pump replace the filter as well.

#23594 - in reply to #23029
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1