Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : What makes a wheel wanna fall off?

Page 1 of 2 12
What makes a wheel wanna fall off?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 1:40 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
What makes a wheel wanna fall off?

Shlomo's front right wheel seems like it has an attitude.

It doesn't like to do exactly where the other tire does, and it is concerning-- Makes the car feel like its going two directions at once-- scary on a windy highway.

I think I found the funny noise. The alternator is loose in the bracket, but the bracket seems to be bolted down well? anyone know anything about this?

The wheel is next on the list, but I don't know what parts to buy! We replaced the tie rods, but that did not fix it, what else on the front suspension could be so loose that you can shake the wheel and hear a clank whenever it is parked?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 2:43 PM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): '79 300SD, '83 300D, '75 Harley-Davidson Chopper
Re: What makes a wheel wanna fall off?

idler arm, steering box..wheel bearings, ball joints (but not usually with wheels on the ground).  You need to jack it up cna have someone shake while you look.<br />

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/26/2006 2:45 PM
#26708 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 3:44 PM
BenzDieselTuner

my very first guess, considering u said it wants to go 2 directions at once (feels like it) is BALL JOINTS !!!!
#26726 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 3:45 PM
BenzDieselTuner

this info is based on my experience with the early 80's 5er BMW's.....
#26727 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 10:02 AM
iNeon

I can't see anything that is moving at all on the corner in question, but it deffinitely moving and making noise.

When I say the wheel is about to fall off, I mean that the wheel seems like it will 'tilt' on its mount, so when that geometry changes, it changes the driving character of the car.

I doubt that the wheel will actually fall off, but mother had an accident in a car who's steering fell out from under itself, taking the brakes and all control with it... I don't like thinking about letting shlomo determine his own path-- I trust the lil guy, but ya know...

So what all goes into a full rebuild besides around 2 grand? I can't afford to pay for someone to do it, so I will have to try and just install one part at a time on that corner until the car is repaired. What all parts should I buy?
#26911 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 12:01 PM
BenzDieselTuner

let BoneheadDoctor tell u, he would know exactly what u should order........im not too sure........
#26935 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 6:02 PM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

<p>Have you checked ball joints yet? by jacking it up to where the wheels are about 2inches off the ground. use a long crowbar to put under the wneel and pry upwards while the other hand is resting on top the wheel. feel for anything when you do ithis...if there is play in the ball joints you will feel it knock in either direction as you do this. grab the wheels top and bottom and then on the sides and pull and push opposit directions and feel for bearing play...IF you have it on jackstands have someone look for movement in the tie rod ends (slop) as you do this. If you do tie rod ends I recomend doing the full set on both sides. I like pre-assembed assemblies. If you do ball joints do both sides as well. same with bushings or bearings. Whatever you do on one side do on the other. How many miles are on this car? And how long do you plan to own and drive this car?<br /></p><p> </p>

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/27/2006 6:03 PM
#27000 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 8:33 PM
iNeon

Thanks so much BHD! You're actually explaining things--- good!

The car is a 1979 240D with 152,000 miles that I don't yet wish to 'restore.' If possible, I'd like to just repair what is wrong, until I am able to throw down a couple grand on any one repair!

My father asked if the wheel bearings are pressed into the rotors?
#27071 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 8:11 AM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

iNeon - 6/27/2006 8:33 PM Thanks so much BHD! You're actually explaining things--- good! The car is a 1979 240D with 152,000 miles that I don't yet wish to 'restore.' If possible, I'd like to just repair what is wrong, until I am able to throw down a couple grand on any one repair! My father asked if the wheel bearings are pressed into the rotors?
No. The bearings are actually in the HUB that the rotors bolt to. THe bearings are not pressed into the hub but the outer races for the tapered roller bearings are. You can do these without a press if you are very carefull and know what not to do. NEVER EVER wail away or strike a bearing with a hammer.

You can rebuild the entire front end for less than $700 if you can do the work yourself....plus the cost of an alignment.

Find out if your ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, or idler arm appear bad. You may have nothing more than bad upper control arm bushings, those are cheap and easy to replace. However keep in mind why I like to do the entire front end at once. You have about the same milage I have on my W123. I needed bal ljoints and guide rod bearings...but I did everything at once. Alignmnents aren't cheap here and if I did it piecemeal I would have to had an alignment several times. at no small expense.

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/28/2006 8:13 AM
#27137 - in reply to #27071
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 9:17 AM
Nutz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
RE: What makes a wheel wanna fall off?

Fix it soon

#27142 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 10:32 AM
iNeon

OK, so let me run this past you guys (sort of again)...

Ball Joint/Upper Control Arm Assemblies
Front Wheel Bearing Kit(long)
Control Arm Bushing Kit; Lower Inner Left/Right
Control Arm Bushing Kit; Lower Outer Left/Right; Guide Rod to Control Arm
Shock Absorbers

And I am not sure about the drag link/steering damper. Do you replace that "center tie rod" or just repair the ends? I see the part itself and a repair kit for it as well.

Another question I have is that I see some parts associated with lower control arms, but not the parts themselves? Are these bushing-only type of repairs?

The running total is right at $300 without shocks and the parts I have mentioned. Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks again for all the help! I'll make sure to get good batteries for the digital camera for to document this-- these epic repairs, they just don't stop, eh?
#27153 - in reply to #27142
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 6:22 PM
BenzDieselTuner

steering damper= important

drag link = important

#27245 - in reply to #27153
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 6:22 PM
BenzDieselTuner

buy Bilstein HD shocks and steering damper, u will be amazed, even without performance springs.........
#27246 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 7:39 PM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

iNeon - 6/28/2006 10:32 AM OK, so let me run this past you guys (sort of again)... Ball Joint/Upper Control Arm Assemblies Front Wheel Bearing Kit(long) Control Arm Bushing Kit; Lower Inner Left/Right Control Arm Bushing Kit; Lower Outer Left/Right; Guide Rod to Control Arm Shock Absorbers And I am not sure about the drag link/steering damper. Do you replace that "center tie rod" or just repair the ends? I see the part itself and a repair kit for it as well. Another question I have is that I see some parts associated with lower control arms, but not the parts themselves? Are these bushing-only type of repairs? The running total is right at $300 without shocks and the parts I have mentioned. Have I forgotten anything? Thanks again for all the help! I'll make sure to get good batteries for the digital camera for to document this-- these epic repairs, they just don't stop, eh?

Guide rod bearing kit..(this is just the big knob looking thing). I would get the tie rod assemblies..the center tie rod assembly ...

Don't forget the lower ball joints....they get pressed into the steering knuckles. Idler arm prepair kit (real easy to do). as well as the steering damper. Shocks can always be done later as they do not affect alignment.

now doing the LCA bushings will be an adventure. You need really and I mean REALLY good spring compressors. your average compressors are NOT up to the task. Trust me that those springs are under 4" of compression with the front wheels off the ground. If a cheap tool slips or breaks you can maim or kill yourself when that spring launches. I can't stress that enough.

I feel that if 3 parts are worn out on the front end its time to redo the whole front end.  Then you will likely never have to do it again. Now if you have to have a shop do everything then that would be ungodly expensive.  If you do it yourself then its really not that bad.  Please avoid eBay parts...you really have no idea if they are cheap Chinese knockoffs or quality parts. 

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/28/2006 7:44 PM
#27289 - in reply to #27153
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 10:55 PM
iNeon

I have always gotten my parts from www.AutoHausAZ.com

We *just* changed the tie rods not 1,000 miles ago thinking that was it, I won't change those again, they're fine.
#27418 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/29/2006 1:44 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

What about a tie rod end? Would play in one of those cause this? Their not that pricey either mine were $80 NZ each I think.
#27511 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/29/2006 9:08 AM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

iNeon - 6/28/2006 10:55 PM I have always gotten my parts from www.AutoHausAZ.com We *just* changed the tie rods not 1,000 miles ago thinking that was it, I won't change those again, they're fine.
if those were just replaced 1,000 miles ago there is no need to replace them again. Now if it was 3 years ago I would do it on principle. Have you checked things in the manner I said to try yet? You need to determine if you have problems and where you have them before deciding what your next step should be. No sense doing a full rebuild if all thats bad are the upper control arm bushings.

Autohauz sells both chinese as well as name brand OEM stuff. I've done business with them before. No problems with them...but I get all my parts elsewhere these days.

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/29/2006 9:10 AM
#27541 - in reply to #27418
Author
Posted 6/29/2006 2:26 PM
iNeon

Enclosed is the shopping cart I guess I have to checkout with.

Is there anything that I have forgotten?

The repair epic will begin sometime, iunno when, but soon.. and will also include matching bilsteins on the front and new tires to match the back as well-- after an allignment.

What about tools? What will I need that won't be in the toolbox? Will McParts lend it to me?

Thanks again!

*edit*

I noticed two steering dampers already=)

Edited by iNeon 6/29/2006 2:38 PM

(partslist.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments partslist.jpg (70KB - 1 downloads)
#27576 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/29/2006 6:59 PM
BenzDieselTuner

sweet!

congrats!
#27637 - in reply to #26692
Author
Posted 6/29/2006 9:26 PM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

<p>Sway bar bushings at the control arm are needed as well. There are 4 of those. You need a special ball joint press....most rental ones don't fit. And the spring compressor...well can't tell you where to rent the correct one that you won't kill yourself using.</p><p> </p><p>Do you own a bushing driver set and a set of drift punches?  or know someone you may borrow them from? </p>

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/29/2006 9:28 PM
#27698 - in reply to #27637
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12