Page 1 of 1 1
Repainting hood
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/16/2006 8:30 PM
fgwinn

Date registered: Dec 1899
Repainting hood

At 42K miles the hood is starting to look pretty sad. I have been keeping up with touch up paint but I do not have the time these days to do a first rate touch up job. I am thinking about getting the hood repainted in another year or so. Has anyone had their W211 hood repainted? If so did it do hold up any better than the OEM paint finish with respect to stone chips? I estimate that I am getting paint chips at the rate of about one per 1000 miles.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/16/2006 9:53 PM
AsianML

Re: Repainting hood

fgwinn-- If you do decide to get it done, could you give us an estimate of the costs. The ML is looking pretty bad on the whole front end as well (paint chips). I know it may cost different, but I just want a ballpark figure. Thanks. Oh and I wonder if the paint will match the rest of the body.
#31446 - in reply to #31432
Author
Posted 7/18/2006 6:40 PM
AndrewAZ

If you are having that much trouble with paint chips you need to stop following people closely on highways, I just washed my moms E the other day she just hit 2,xxx miles and not a sing paint chip, but i always wax it. I suggest that you look into getting a clear bra after you get your hood repainted.
#31807 - in reply to #31432
Author
Posted 7/18/2006 8:50 PM
fgwinn

Maintaining a greater distance between cars is good advice. Problem with too much separation is that people will frequently change lanes immediately in front of your car. There is so much construction along my typical routes that it's hard to avoid the debris that gets kicked up. At least 50% of the chips on my car are outside the typical coverage zone of the clear film. I would rather apply the money to a repaint than to the film.

AndrewAZ - 7/18/2006 6:40 PM

If you are having that much trouble with paint chips you need to stop following people closely on highways, I just washed my moms E the other day she just hit 2,xxx miles and not a sing paint chip, but i always wax it. I suggest that you look into getting a clear bra after you get your hood repainted.
#31818 - in reply to #31807
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 6:59 AM
AndrewAZ

fgwinn - 7/18/2006 5:50 PM

Maintaining a greater distance between cars is good advice. Problem with too much separation is that people will frequently change lanes immediately in front of your car. There is so much construction along my typical routes that it's hard to avoid the debris that gets kicked up. At least 50% of the chips on my car are outside the typical coverage zone of the clear film. I would rather apply the money to a repaint than to the film.

AndrewAZ - 7/18/2006 6:40 PM

yea I understand not all roads are as good a the ones in arizona lol... But yea I would deff do a repaint but if you are going to keep the car for a long time or put a lot of miles on it I suggest a clear bra it will save you another repaint down the road.
#32036 - in reply to #31818
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 4:25 PM
fgwinn

RE: Repainting hood

There is one dubious benefit to the stone-chip prone paint jobs on MB cars.

I went to look at a 2004 SL500 today that a friend of mine was considering.
There were plenty of things wrong with this car that had 32,500 miles on it.
But one thing that was not a problem was stone chips on the hood. I suspect
that the hood was repainted.

Normally you could estimate the mileage on the car just by counting the
stone chips.

#32293 - in reply to #31432
Author
Posted 7/22/2006 10:43 PM
AndrewAZ

RE: Repainting hood

fgwinn - 7/21/2006 1:25 PM

There is one dubious benefit to the stone-chip prone paint jobs on MB cars.

I went to look at a 2004 SL500 today that a friend of mine was considering.
There were plenty of things wrong with this car that had 32,500 miles on it.
But one thing that was not a problem was stone chips on the hood. I suspect
that the hood was repainted.

Normally you could estimate the mileage on the car just by counting the
stone chips.

I had a 2000ML with over 55,000 miles and it had less chips than my 2002ML with 33,000 miles. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes not...
#32495 - in reply to #32293
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1