Page 1 of 1 1
450SLC w/ fuel problems
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 8:21 AM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
450SLC w/ fuel problems

I've run across what looks like a fair c107 in my favorite color combination(white on blue) and the seller says that the car only needs a fuel pump. Question being... Is it ever really that simple?

What are odds of pulling a working pump from a 450sel at a U Pull It yard? Don't a lot of these cars get junked because the injection systems are problematic and cost an arm and a leg to even get diagnosed?

c107 for coupe? or w107? I don't know the nomenclature! Enlighten me!

Are these cars as easy as 240D cars? I know I've asked before but the car is actually in my price range and I'd really like a 107 for the garage instead of the VW. Even if it doesn't have a removable roof...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 4:31 PM
Walrus

RE: 450SLC w/ fuel problems

iNeon - 8/8/2006 7:21 AM I've run across what looks like a fair c107 in my favorite color combination(white on blue) and the seller says that the car only needs a fuel pump. Question being... Is it ever really that simple? What are odds of pulling a working pump from a 450sel at a U Pull It yard? Don't a lot of these cars get junked because the injection systems are problematic and cost an arm and a leg to even get diagnosed? c107 for coupe? or w107? I don't know the nomenclature! Enlighten me! Are these cars as easy as 240D cars? I know I've asked before but the car is actually in my price range and I'd really like a 107 for the garage instead of the VW. Even if it doesn't have a removable roof...

What model year?  Ike reminded me of the potential problems of a D-Jet car (1972-1976, I think).  I seem to see cars of this vintage with similar diagnosis...  Fuel Pump.  Seems like a fuel pump for a D-Jet is close to $400 bucks.  I don't think I'd trust a pull-off on this as the fuel pressure and capacity is critical to a smooth running machine, especially these systems.

W107 is the "official" designation from what I have read, but the more accepted is R107 for the SL, C107 for the SLC.  The overlying concern for the 117 engine series is the condition of the timing chain and guides.  Cam oilers and Fuel injection is a major concern as well on the older 107's.

Where is the car, If I might ask?  There is one near me (fort payne)that meets your description; however, the interior is rough.  Owner sez same thing...  needs fuel pump to run.  I looked at the car and passed on it.  The budget I developed for "bringing it up to snuff" was a bit over 5grand...

Good luck.

#36491 - in reply to #36373
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 7:34 PM
iNeon

Re: 450SLC w/ fuel problems

The car is a 1980 model 450slc, it is in Birmingham and is listed at 650 bux

i know... i know... 'nothing more expensive than... but it doesnt look beaten down in the single picture I saw! I have yet to see the interior, however.
#36633 - in reply to #36491
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 11:05 PM
Walrus

Re: 450SLC w/ fuel problems

iNeon - 8/8/2006 6:34 PM The car is a 1980 model 450slc, it is in Birmingham and is listed at 650 bux i know... i know... 'nothing more expensive than... but it doesnt look beaten down in the single picture I saw! I have yet to see the interior, however.

$650?!?  hard to go wrong... Parted out, it is worth a few times that.  1980 is k-jetronic, mechanical/electric or CIS injection.  Fuel pmp around $150.  If body is indeed good, and interior fair, it would be worth a very close look.  Watch out for Cancer.  It likes to hide in the floorboards, rockers, and especially the back window.  Bondo and paint can hide a lot of flaws...  Take a magnet with you, but don't forget some body panels are aluminum (hood, I think...  Not sure on the 450's).  1980 was the weakest Hp output of the 4.5litre breed.  I think it fell to around 160, but can't remember for sure.  Look for matching numbers on front fenders,  hood, doors, and trunk lid for evidence of replaced panes/collision damage.

#36751 - in reply to #36633
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1