Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : Adjusting the Transmission

Page 1 of 1 1
Adjusting the Transmission
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 7:21 AM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
Adjusting the Transmission

Shlomo(79 240D, 153k, Automatic) seems to slip(it's almost a double shift, thu-thunk feeling) in the 1-2 shift and revvs from 2-3, he also immediately shifts to 4th sometimes.

Pedal pressure seems to help it, if you let up on the shifts, it seems to help matters, but I was wondering if it is something so simple as an adjustment? I've fiddled with the Bowden Cable and that doesn't do a lot, I think it is correct, but is there another point of adjustment?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 11:58 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 78' MB 300D 87 Chief Cherokee
RE: Adjusting the Transmission

My 300D does the same thing, its anoying!
#37388 - in reply to #37329
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 6:35 PM
iNeon

Re: Adjusting the Transmission

Well, I know the car has vacuum issues, and a million other things because of it, but I just don't think I am capable of doing it all.

The brakes are hard, the shut-off valve is leaking oil onto the drivers mat, the entire locks/cruise-control system is in-op, the driveline mounts need to be changed, the front suspension rebuilt, the transmission shifts funnily, the charging system is STILL squirreley and the rear bumper needs to be replaced.

But the air conditioner is 55 degrees at night, 62 during the day and the engine and radio work very well-- so I don't worry too much.
#37497 - in reply to #37388
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 7:52 PM
jdc1244

RE: Adjusting the Transmission

Pull the door lock vacuum lines out. They are in the engine compartment near the oil filter canister. That fixed my flairing transmission.
#37513 - in reply to #37329
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 11:36 PM
iNeon

The door locks have been manual since a long long while ago!

The only things hooked up are transmission, brakes(that still don't get any assist) and engine shut-off.

Could this be because of an overabundance of vacuum because of the locks/cruise not being hooked up?
#37560 - in reply to #37513
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 1:37 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 78' MB 300D 87 Chief Cherokee

iNeon - 8/10/2006 11:36 PM

The door locks have been manual since a long long while ago!

The only things hooked up are transmission, brakes(that still don't get any assist) and engine shut-off.

Could this be because of an overabundance of vacuum because of the locks/cruise not being hooked up?

I complain about my tranny on the 300D in benz world and some one reply this to me "Replace or adjust the vacuum modulator valve on the side of the transmission" Thats the only reason I got for my transmision going crazy. It could be the reason why, I have to invistigate on that A.S.A.P
#37588 - in reply to #37560
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 6:43 AM
BenzDieselTuner

no, if ur power assisted brakes arent working, then im sure u need a vacuum pump.......thats what solved all my problems.......luckily, this is an easy problem to test for, just disconnect the line to the brake booster from the pump, and put ur finger over it, while the motor runs, if it sucks, then u have pressure, if no, then u have no pressure.........
#37601 - in reply to #37329
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 7:00 AM
iNeon

I bought a mightyvac and checked the vacuum-- it seems like it was around 20" of vacuum? It's been a while, but I know the vacuum pump works ok.

It might be the master cylinder or the booster itself. When I push the brakes when first putting the car into gear, I can hear a distinct hiss, and sometimes the brakes feel as if the assist is working, but only once in a blue moon-- and only for one press of the pedal.
#37606 - in reply to #37601
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 8:49 AM
BenzDieselTuner

could be a bad booster, OR a WEAK vacuum pump............
#37611 - in reply to #37329
Author
Posted 8/15/2006 11:00 AM
iNeon

There doesn't seem to be any provision for adjusting the transmission on the car, there are a few levers and what looks like a brass box on the side that has a little water shield over the top of what I think is a vacuum line(very covered in oily dirty schmutz) but it doesn't look like there is any way to do anything with it.

Oh well.
#38325 - in reply to #37611
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1