Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 7:40 PM
dantefr

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: PA to FL

jdc1244 - 5/7/2006 7:29 PM

An MB with a doughnut spare! Say it aint so… :ahhh:

hahahaha no no no don't worry, MB doesn't use those stupid doughnut spares..... My car came stock with 18inch AMG rims and MB didn't give me a 5th to use as a spare so instead they gave me the rim that is on all the stock 97-99 S-Classes. It's a "full size" Mercedes Benz wheel, but isn't the same ones that came on my particular car.
#10453 - in reply to #10449
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 7:56 PM
ychachad

I'd check the A/C for leaks and proper pressure as 140s are notorious for evap leaks.

You should also balance your tyres and check air pressure. A tyre out of balance can shake your car and ruin the whole trip.

Check the battery, tyre pressures, dump a bottle of fuel system cleaner to remove any deposits and a bottle of water remover to remove any condensation in the fuel tank from your harsh Pitt, PA winters.

Carry a spare bottle of 50 weight oil in case your car has leaks or starts burning oil!!!

Fill your windsheild fluid, 140s leak that fluid in the summers.

Fill the tank up with 93 octane and enjoy the ride.

Say hello to all my friends in Morgantown, WV on your way down from I-79.

Carry some nice tunes.

Let me know if you're going to be in Tampa

dantefr - 4/27/2006 2:27 AM

Hey everyone, I'm finally taking the W140 on a "little" road trip. A buddy and I are driving from Pittsburgh, PA to Sarasota, FL in mid-May. I was curious to konw what you all recomend I have done to my car before I leave. Its about 1,200 miles and we plan on driving straight through the night, so I can't worry about ANYTHING! I'm going to have the oil changed, the brakes checked, and the tires rotated. This is the first time I've taken my baby on a trip further than Indiana or Detroit. I'm really anxious to get going, but I need to be 100% sure the car will make it. Oh by the way, I'm taking the 500SEL b/c I'm trying to keep the miles low on the Grand. :laugh:
#10463 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:04 PM
1996_S500

Re: PA to FL

dantefr - 5/7/2006 3:35 PM

And 1996_S500, I'll snap a few pictures of the lighted doorsills later today...

Sweet. Thanks Dantefr, Can't wait to see them. Good luck with the spare. I you ever want to sell that spare, and get an AMG rim, that would sell for a lot, cuz it is brand new.
#10492 - in reply to #10415
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 3:43 AM
dantefr

ychachad, I may be in Tampa for a few hours on Saturday, but it all depends on how long the trip takes me. How many hours did it take you from Morgantown? I'm sure my A/C just needs charged since I replaced the evaporator 2 years ago... But then again, you never know considering it works sometimes, and it doesn't other times. It's always cold, but just not as cold as it should be and since I'm going to Florida, I NEED A/C! Especially with a black on black car!

1996_S500, Do you know anywhere I can get a used AMG rim? I don't want a knock off, only an original! Also, what do you think I could get for my unused spare tire? I checked the dealer for AMG rims and they want $1500 a piece! A lot more than I ever want to spend on a rim!

CAN'T WAIT! 11 MORE DAYS!!
#10620 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 4:52 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

dantefr - 5/8/2006 3:43 AM

ychachad, I may be in Tampa for a few hours on Saturday, but it all depends on how long the trip takes me. How many hours did it take you from Morgantown? I'm sure my A/C just needs charged since I replaced the evaporator 2 years ago... But then again, you never know considering it works sometimes, and it doesn't other times. It's always cold, but just not as cold as it should be and since I'm going to Florida, I NEED A/C! Especially with a black on black car!

1996_S500, Do you know anywhere I can get a used AMG rim? I don't want a knock off, only an original! Also, what do you think I could get for my unused spare tire? I checked the dealer for AMG rims and they want $1500 a piece! A lot more than I ever want to spend on a rim!

Go to a wreckers yard, as it is the spare it may not need to be perfect. But you may want a mint one. Thats up to you. Someone has bound to have written off a car with AMG rims. But they may want to sell them as a set.
#10626 - in reply to #10620
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 9:34 AM
1996_S500

dantefr - 5/8/2006 12:43 AM

Hey Dantefr,

I have searched eBay, and have found a couple that you may be interested in. If eBay is not your thing, that I would do what NZ Benz is suggesting, by going to a wrecking yard. I found some 18x8s, as well as some 18x9s. I don't know what you are running on, so I posted them both. But, at least check these out...

18x8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Mercedes-Benz-AMG-18-x-8-Monoblock...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-18x8-Mercedes-AMG-Monoblock-Wheel...

18x9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-18x9-Mercedes-AMG-Monoblock-Wheel...

About the 97 rims, you should ask your dealer what they sell them for, and sell it for a little less than them, but the thing is, is that they can't be too expensive, because it is for only 1 rim, even though it is in pristine condition.

Hope this helps.
#10657 - in reply to #10620
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 5:41 PM
dantefr

Thanks a lot 1996_S500!! I am actually really into Ebay and should probably look for one there. I've also considered upgrading my stock 500SEL rims to AMG Monoblocks. I was curious to know what everyone thought about doing 18X9 in the rear and 18X8 in the front... Not sure how the car will ride, but I saw an SL500 with a similar set up and want maximum traction for the rear. Let me know! and thanks again 1996_S500!!
#10822 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 7:25 PM
1996_S500

dantefr - 5/8/2006 2:41 PM

Thanks a lot 1996_S500!! I am actually really into Ebay and should probably look for one there. I've also considered upgrading my stock 500SEL rims to AMG Monoblocks. I was curious to know what everyone thought about doing 18X9 in the rear and 18X8 in the front... Not sure how the car will ride, but I saw an SL500 with a similar set up and want maximum traction for the rear. Let me know! and thanks again 1996_S500!!

No problem Dantefr, anything for a W140 owner. Good luck with the rims man!
#10884 - in reply to #10822
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 3:42 PM
ychachad

I hammered the trip from MT to Lakeland in exactly 15 hours. Straight.
However, I did it in my LS400, as I had my 140 shipped since my Tag on it had expired.

dantefr - 5/8/2006 3:43 AM

#11347 - in reply to #10620
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 12:16 AM
dantefr

Thanks ychachad! Look for my Grand Edition on 75 on Saturday Morning... PA Plates, you can't miss it haha

well I'm leaving in less than three short days and have decided to take the Grand Edition rather than the 500SEL. Earlier today I dropped the Grand off at a Mercedes Stealership (Only because they stock all necessary fluids and can have it done faster than my indy mechanic) and told them that I'm taking the car to Florida and I need everything checked. They are going to change the oil, check the tire pressure and allignment, as well as balance, flush the radiator, make sure the AC is ICE cold, check all fluid levels, and check the brakes. I just replaced the tires a few weeks ago so they're brand new, and everything else works perfectly. I plan on leaving around 9pm on Friday night and hope to be in Sarasota by 2pm on Saturday (Provided all goes according to plan). After I arrive, I'll post how the trip went! Wish me luck!!

Edited by dantefr 5/17/2006 12:17 AM
#13313 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 1:56 AM
1996_S500

dantefr - 5/16/2006 9:16 PM

Thanks ychachad! Look for my Grand Edition on 75 on Saturday Morning... PA Plates, you can't miss it haha

well I'm leaving in less than three short days and have decided to take the Grand Edition rather than the 500SEL. Earlier today I dropped the Grand off at a Mercedes Stealership (Only because they stock all necessary fluids and can have it done faster than my indy mechanic) and told them that I'm taking the car to Florida and I need everything checked. They are going to change the oil, check the tire pressure and allignment, as well as balance, flush the radiator, make sure the AC is ICE cold, check all fluid levels, and check the brakes. I just replaced the tires a few weeks ago so they're brand new, and everything else works perfectly. I plan on leaving around 9pm on Friday night and hope to be in Sarasota by 2pm on Saturday (Provided all goes according to plan). After I arrive, I'll post how the trip went! Wish me luck!!

Hope MB doesn't charge you to much with the check-up. Best of luck Dante, I hope your car proves to be reliable, and doesn't give you any problems.

Make sure to take some nice pictures. Your S500 Grand will look fantastic in every picture you take, but certain sceneries make it look even better.(if that's possible)

Every picture that a W140 is in is great.
#13327 - in reply to #13313
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 4:53 PM
dantefr

Well I only plan on stopping when I need gas, so I figure I'll stop 2 or 3 times on the way down, but I'll snap a picture or 2 while I'm gassing up, and then maybe a few while I'm there. I can not wait to leave! I was out in my 500SEL today and just wanted to keep driving.
As for the stealership charging me too much, It'll be about the same as an Indy mechanic (a little more for the oil change) considering I'm not really having anything done to the car, just having it checked out. Shouldn't be more than $200.00, but with Mercedes, you never know.
#13499 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 10:38 PM
1996_S500

dantefr - 5/17/2006 1:53 PM

Well I only plan on stopping when I need gas, so I figure I'll stop 2 or 3 times on the way down, but I'll snap a picture or 2 while I'm gassing up, and then maybe a few while I'm there. I can not wait to leave! I was out in my 500SEL today and just wanted to keep driving.
As for the stealership charging me too much, It'll be about the same as an Indy mechanic (a little more for the oil change) considering I'm not really having anything done to the car, just having it checked out. Shouldn't be more than $200.00, but with Mercedes, you never know.

cool. Those pics are going to look really nice. did you ever get around to posting those pics of the illuminated door sills? I hope so. Those look really cool, but I want to see an actual picture if possible.
#13628 - in reply to #13499
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 12:39 AM
dantefr

Yeah, I do have them, I'll email them to you since I have no idea how to resize them to post on the website. If you can figure it out, you are more than welcome to post them up.
#13657 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 9:18 PM
dantefr

OK, here are the picture I've been promising.... I'll post up more when I get back from my trip in June.

(Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 001.jpg)

(Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 002.jpg)

(Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 003.jpg)

(Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 004.jpg)

(Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 001.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 002.jpg (11KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 003.jpg (18KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 004.jpg (25KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Grand Edition Illuminated Door Sills 005.jpg (10KB - 2 downloads)
#13914 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 5:28 PM
dantefr

Just to let everyone know, I haven't left yet Kind of a long story, but nothing to do with the car. I will now be leaving on Wednesday afternoon. I'll be sure to snap some pictures along the way and post them up.
#14493 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 11:35 PM
1996_S500

dantefr - 5/20/2006 2:28 PM

Just to let everyone know, I haven't left yet Kind of a long story, but nothing to do with the car. I will now be leaving on Wednesday afternoon. I'll be sure to snap some pictures along the way and post them up.

cool. Can't wait Dantefr. Once again, if you have any problems with the pic size/ space, just e-mail me them as before. i will be glad to resize them again.
#14549 - in reply to #14493
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 11:33 AM
dantefr

Well, I made it.... It took me 16 hours exactly including all stops. The car drove absolutly PERFECT for the trip! It made the 1100 miles seem like 50! I will never drive another car other than my Benz's on road trips. I also achieved amazing gas mileage too. I drove from Pittsburgh, PA to Charlotte, NC and still had OVER 1/4 of a tank left! After filling up in Charlotte, I then drove to Jacksonville, FL and had over 1/4 tank left again! The whole trip took about 50 gallons of gas and I got about 22 MPG! Not bad for a 5000lb car! The only thing I wish was different is the color.... A black car in 90 degree sun is just not fun Anyway, I took some pictures on my way down and I'll do the same for my trip back. I plan on leaving here on Friday afternoon and should return early Saturday morning.
If any of you have the slightest urge to take your W140 on a road trip.... I'd say DO IT!! It is the most relaxing highway car ever built!
#17564 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 11:45 AM
zeq

Post some pictures. It’s good to see you people enjoy long distance trip. Since here, the country is small. The country size is only about 5766 sq. I wish I have long trip distance in my car.

From one end to another end of this country, it takes only 1 hour and most of the people here bitching about one hour drives and make it as a very long trip and stop at every shop on the way.
#17565 - in reply to #3427
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 5:07 PM
AsianML

Glad you made it safely! Post some pics!
#17678 - in reply to #3427
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123