Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

Page 1 of 1 1
IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/18/2006 1:23 PM
firstmb

Date registered: Dec 1899
IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

This sounds bad to me.....!!

DETROIT — With former Chrysler boss Dieter Zetsche now firmly at the helm of DaimlerChrysler in Stuttgart, industry insiders in Europe and North America say the Chrysler and Mercedes brands are finally beginning to converge, at least under the skin, as planning for future vehicles and platforms progresses.

Over the next five years, according to component suppliers who've seen the plans, a much larger number of Chrysler, Dodge and Mercedes products will share underbody components, even major platforms, as the German parent seeks ways to cut costs and speed development.

One example is the new LY large-car platform that is being developed simultaneously in Auburn Hills and Stuttgart. The LY is the replacement for the current LX platform that underpins the full-size Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum and Dodge Charger and will be the foundation for the upcoming Dodge Challenger and Chrysler Imperial.

Variations of the platform also will be used as the base for the next-generation Chrysler Pacifica, due in model year 2009, as well as the next Mercedes E-Class (2010), R-Class (2012) and CLS-Class (2012).

Another common platform in the post-2010 timeframe will support the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander as well as the Mercedes ML-Class, suppliers say they've been told.

Curiously, Chrysler and Mercedes individually are expected to share more components and vehicles with Volkswagen on different continents, but so far the three brands have yet to concur on a common platform that could be used by all three.

What this means to you: The Germans and the Americans are learning to get over themselves and just try to make the best products they can. We'll see if they can pull it off because egos are tough to ignore.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/18/2006 2:27 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

I heard the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the E-350 will share the same engines. It'll probably be good for Chrysler but bad for MB. All you're going to hear is that a Mercedes is a glorified Chrysler.
#45155 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/18/2006 7:19 PM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD
Re: IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

Gee, I guess I'll have to keep my W124 FOREEEEVER.
#45186 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/18/2006 8:33 PM
jdc1244

RE: IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

There is no "Mercedes" any more.
#45204 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 10:20 PM
iNeon

Chrysler bad... mercedes good.

Shush and get over it-- No one cares what platform a car rides on-- Every Lexus has a Toyota counterpart and likewise every Infiniti and every Acura.

Premium products are not what they were even 10 years ago-- They are only better designed objects with more features-- the same goes for clothing, homes, furnishings and electronics. What I am saying is that you will only get luxury so far as you can touch or see it-- you will still have the premium surfaces and finishes in a Mercedes and you will still have the powerful, technologically-forward featureset, but it will not be the robust product in every respect that we old Mercedes people expect.

It's double-edged-- we all know Chrysler built more reliable cars at the time of the merger, and we all know Mercedes endeavors to build the best automobiles available to 'normal' car buyers-- We don't know if these future products will be successful or not, time will tell.

I will tell you that *I* prefer Chrysler's automobiles from before the merger-- The were the largest, sturdiest, fastest, most reliable domestic cars available. Now? Not so much.

My opinion is that the merger is only benefiting Mercedes, as they have precidence over all other developments. Trickle-down engineering is only serving to make Chrysler the 'bargain bin' product that I don't care to see it be. It makes no matter that it is Mercedes-Benz technology that is being handed-down-- It is still just that-- A hand-me-down.
#45355 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 11:03 PM
jdc1244

No, Chrysler bad, Mercedes bad.

I’m over it but I’ll not shush.

I remember Chryslers from the 70s and 80s, the cars were pieces of junk, each and every one. Omni/Horizon was an unmitigated disaster. The engines suffered from all kinds of oil leak failures. K cars were junk. The Chrysler Cordoba, for God’s sake!

K cars, Cordobas, and Horizons, my, what an impressive tradition and track record.

During the 70s and 80s Daimler-Benz’s Mercedes-Benz automobile division was manufacturing the best mass-produced cars in the world. They were the best-built cars. They were the best looking cars. During this time every car Mercedes designed was successful and reliable. They did not suffer engine failures (Omni/Horizon) and they weren’t ugly (Cordoba).

So along comes Chrysler with this history of failure to wed Daimler-Benz.

Think of it as a beautiful thoroughbred racehorse (Mercedes) being mated to a broken down raggedy old mule (Chrysler).
#45359 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/20/2006 4:43 PM
Dahappybanana

Re: IL Insider: Chrysler, Mercedes Products Begin Major Convergence Under Zetsche

I used to have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, thing was the worst car ever made. I am going to reserve judgement until I see what happens, it isn't doomed for diaster or promised for greatness.
#45419 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/20/2006 9:12 PM
iNeon

jdc1244 - 9/19/2006 10:03 PM

Think of it as a beautiful thoroughbred racehorse (Mercedes) being mated to a broken down raggedy old mule (Chrysler).
:(

I know that when I think of thoroughbred racehorses, that I think of rod-bending engines in $70,000 flagship cars. I think of failed evaporator cores and rotten spring perches, cracked cylinder heads, yellowed composite lighting and bad head-gaskets...

Your arguement might be apt if we're talking about the days of the 116, 107 and 123, but we're talking about the 124, 140, 210, 163 etc etc etc. I'd hardly consider those thoroughbreds.

Chrysler, pre-merge, had shown great promise with the LH cars, neon, ram, and even the quirky prowler. They had come a long way to get ahead of fomoco and gm-- Just think about those car's main competition and you'll see what I mean.

The last thing I will mention is Mercedes-Benz' rapid decline in quality and reliability that directly cooincides with Chrysler's rise in those areas. The world has caught up with(and surpassed in many cases) Mercedes-- they aren't top dog anymore.

Please join us in 2006-- we welcome you with open arms.
#45445 - in reply to #45359
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 9:26 AM
cmitch
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

Wasn't the merger of Chrysler and Daimler Benz actually a non-hostile take over by Daimler-Benz? If you will note when MB's problems began, it was BEFORE the Chrysler merger. The M-Class was already in experimental production and some tranny problems that existed in the S Classes were before the merger as well. Chrsler's quality had vastly improved in the mid nineties and I own a 1998 Ram Truck with 102,000 miles. The ONLY thing I have ever done to it was replace the shift solenoids in the bottom of the tranny for $350.00. I can't say that for the German engineered and produced 430 engine that is in the M-Class. The only thing that keeps me pissed off about the truck is the peeling paint, which I have to say, is Mercedes stronghold. 
#45509 - in reply to #45146
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 6:37 PM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD

I had a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with 175,000 miles and the original clutch. No major issues, except the door and rear bumper fell off from rust. 1988 Cherokee lasted forever, too.

Everyone will be doing this to save money. Ford has announced major safety cross planning with the Volvo division. They all understand they will have to compete against Geely in the future.
#45572 - in reply to #45146
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1