Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : Engine Not Shutting off!

Page 1 of 1 1
Engine Not Shutting off!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 8:28 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 78' MB 300D 87 Chief Cherokee
Engine Not Shutting off!

Hey guys! Today I went for a long drive to queens which is an hour and a half, because of traffic. When I arrived to my destination my car wouldn't shut off, I think the Vacuum pump finaly died on me. Though everytime when I turn the key to shut off the car, the car will shut off quick, but not any more. So now I have to open the hood and shut it off manualy! I dont get it? The car was runing perfectly fine yesturday after I gave it a diesel purge. Though I remember yesturday before I settle in to my house, I was Investigating the vacuum line hoses that look like an X or a y, because they have bolts plugging every hole they have, I was wondering why they plug the hoses? Reason why I dont have no vacuum door locks and my tranny shifting is eratic, maybe there is more worng, all I know is that now I can shut off my car anymore. So what should I first? I do have another brang new Vacuum pump, maybe I should install that?

Though its not gona keep me from driving my car everyday....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 10:09 PM
gatorblue92

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Engine Not Shutting off!

i would check your lines first since they are MUCH cheaper than a new vacum pump
#45351 - in reply to #45340
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 11:00 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

gatorblue92 - 9/19/2006 10:09 PM

i would check your lines first since they are MUCH cheaper than a new vacum pump

Yea, I just read a passage of instruction from the dieselgiant.com, Im gona investigate....
#45358 - in reply to #45351
Author
Posted 9/20/2006 9:32 PM
iNeon

RE: Engine Not Shutting off!

You're an elite veteran and chronic w123 board poster and you don't know why the vacuum lines are disconnected and your car won't shutoff?

Sometimes... just SOMETIMES... it helps to SHUT THE FUCK UP and read.
#45447 - in reply to #45340
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 8:16 PM
TheDon

iNeon - 9/20/2006 9:32 PM

You're an elite veteran and chronic w123 board poster and you don't know why the vacuum lines are disconnected and your car won't shutoff?

yea im amazed....
#45590 - in reply to #45447
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 11:38 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

ahhh here we go again...

Anyway today! I've check the vacuum presure on my car and the vacuum pump seems working in full order for 22hg of pressure. Maybe the fuel shut off valve is hosed? idk?

Im sorry I realy dont know how the vacuum system works unless something goes wrong and causing a problem then I will look into it.. .. .. .. My browns car vacuum lines are a mess, with most of them cut and plugged up, idk where to start! So im trying my best to grab as much info and help from you guys to fix this problem.

okay...
#45625 - in reply to #45590
Author
Posted 9/22/2006 1:13 AM
iNeon

Yes-- Here we go again. You've got 1,123 posts here and who knows... the same on the other site; yet you have no clue as to what would make your car not shut off with the key-- It just pisses me off.

This says, very much, that all you do is flap your gums! It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I am still trying to get you to listen and read; to stop pretending that being obnoxious and unnerving is some form of personality-- It isn't.

As to your vacuum problem-- it sounds like it could be a few things: 1) the key switch could be futzed up and not telling the shut-off valve to shut the car off. 2) the fuel shut-off valve could be inoperable or 3) the vacuum brake-booster could have a leak that is preventing the fuel shut-off valve from getting the vacuum that it needs.

The latter is something that I struggle with on my Shlomo. If I am pressing the brake pedal when the keyswitch is shut off, sometimes the car does not shut off until the footbrake is released. Since you said that you had to get out and push the stop lever, I think this option can be crossed off the list because the car would have shut off before you got the hood open.

So, try to apply vacuum to the shut-off valve with your mityvac and see if it will shut off that way. If it won't, start looking for leaks in the big line coming from the vacuum pump itself.

Good luck.
#45632 - in reply to #45340
Author
Posted 9/22/2006 11:26 PM
flyboyike

iNeon - 9/22/2006 12:13 AM Yes-- Here we go again. You've got 1,123 posts here and who knows... the same on the other site; yet you have no clue as to what would make your car not shut off with the key-- It just pisses me off. This says, very much, that all you do is flap your gums! It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I am still trying to get you to listen and read; to stop pretending that being obnoxious and unnerving is some form of personality-- It isn't.

AMEN and 1/2!!!!!!!!! 

#45765 - in reply to #45632
Author
Posted 9/23/2006 12:34 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

flyboyike - 9/22/2006 11:26 PM

iNeon - 9/22/2006 12:13 AM Yes-- Here we go again. You've got 1,123 posts here and who knows... the same on the other site; yet you have no clue as to what would make your car not shut off with the key-- It just pisses me off. This says, very much, that all you do is flap your gums! It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I am still trying to get you to listen and read; to stop pretending that being obnoxious and unnerving is some form of personality-- It isn't.

AMEN and 1/2!!!!!!!!!

I got it to shut off! Sorry I had a huge leak on the main vacuum line, by accident I forgot to put back a missing line back on when I was working on my car the other day! SO I put that line back on and check all the lines, and did a test and the car shut off, good as new again. Thanks for your help guys... Silly Mistake of mine.

Hopefully sometime this weekend or next week I can get that valve adjustment...
#45777 - in reply to #45765
Author
Posted 9/23/2006 1:22 PM
BenzDieselTuner

good luck!
#45828 - in reply to #45340
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1