Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class : How do you remove the front bumper on a w126?

Page 1 of 2 12
How do you remove the front bumper on a w126?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/20/2006 8:25 PM
Snibble

Date registered: Dec 1899
How do you remove the front bumper on a w126?

Can anyone tell me how to remove a front bumper on the w126?

Thank You.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/20/2006 11:47 PM
Jillian80

RE: How do you remove the front bumper on a w126?

Yeah, just get your speed up and hit SELLC/Rex with your car really hard. That oughta take it off nicely.
#45468 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 2:08 AM
Pinot Noir

Jillian80 - 9/20/2006 11:47 PM

Yeah, just get your speed up and hit SELLC/Rex with your car really hard. That oughta take it off nicely.

I dont know... I think that Snibble's dad might be mad he smashed the family car no? As for me, I have insurance and enough parts to have it back on the road in an hour.

Its best to just take off the 6 NUTZ that stare you in the face when you lie under the front end Jewls.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/295220-front-b...

Edited by Pinot Noir 9/21/2006 2:30 AM
#45481 - in reply to #45468
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 2:33 AM
Robbo

Re: How do you remove the front bumper on a w126?

I thought there was only 4. (2 either side)
#45484 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 3:10 AM
Pinot Noir

Robbo - 9/21/2006 2:33 AM

I thought there was only 4. (2 either side)

Sorry Robbo.... You are absolutely WRONG. (No offence)

There are a total of 4 accessible from the back side and two you have to get from the front. Check it out and you will see.

Take it from a Pro... Otherwise you may never know..
#45487 - in reply to #45484
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 6:50 AM
Nutz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006

You guys are all so wrong!

This is what you use

(torch2.jpg)

(sawzall1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments torch2.jpg (29KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments sawzall1.jpg (3KB - 3 downloads)
#45496 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 9:38 AM
nomad

There are only four bolts holding the bumper on, on my car, two on each side
Easily accessible from beneath the car and one of the simplest bumper removals I've encountered, undo the bolts and pull forward

I have had mine off many, many times and even have a spare in the garage so I can say 100%, that there are only four bolts (euro car)
The ends of the bumper have a protruding piece that slots into a bracket on the car, but no bolts
#45511 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 10:21 AM
Pinot Noir

Well here in the US there are 6 nuts holding on the bumper. You want proof or you just going to take my word for it?
#45513 - in reply to #45511
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 1:55 PM
Robbo

Well, so much for being WRONG (no offence taken) and in fact I do know,
just like Nomad, my bumper has been off many times and it only has 4.
But then again what would I know . . . I'm not a Pro
#45531 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 3:32 PM
Pinot Noir

I am afraid to say that you boys are missing some nuts!

Properly installed Mercedes bumpers have 3 per side; guess the people who owned the vehicles before you must have left them out. And to think Panzer won 126 of the month.
Hey panzer I guess your front end must have been smashed at some point and the repair was lacking.

Imagine a person such as Snibble asking a question like "How to remove a front bumper" and then trying to tell everyone he is in a position to give advice and facts on Mercedes 126. It’s just a joke if you ask me not to mention it really pisses me off!

As for you Robbo, I have made this photo because you have taken no offence and don’t claim to be a pro. For your honesty I dug up a photo out of the Auto-Trend 126 CD so you can know what the Pro's know.

(126bumpernuts.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 126bumpernuts.JPG (50KB - 5 downloads)
#45536 - in reply to #45531
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 5:53 PM
nomad

You're obvously not the expert you think you are, which is what you're saying if you refer to yourself as a 'pro

In order to be classed as an expert or pro, one should be thoughly familiar with all aspects of all models for all markets whether they be relevant to you or not
I have not said you are wrong but you were quick to jump on us, when clearly we're not wrong either and nowhere did we claim to be experts or pros

I'm not pulling my bumper off just to take a picture of the bumper mounts but am showing a picture of my spare bumper, with it's two (2) mounting bolts on either side

Lets count them together...one, two...well done!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Have a nice day and...your welcome
#45565 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 6:20 PM
Pinot Noir

nomad - 9/21/2006 5:53 PM

You're obvously not the expert you think you are, which is what you're saying if you refer to yourself as a 'pro

In order to be classed as an expert or pro, one should be thoughly familiar with all aspects of all models for all markets whether they be relevant to you or not
I have not said you are wrong but you were quick to jump on us, when clearly we're not wrong either and nowhere did we claim to be experts or pros

I'm not pulling my bumper off just to take a picture of the bumper mounts but am showing a picture of my spare bumper, with it's two (2) mounting bolts on either side

Lets count them together...one, two...well done!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Relevant to me?

How about relevant to the US DOT?

Let us count once more!

(DSC00041.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00041.JPG (157KB - 5 downloads)
#45566 - in reply to #45565
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 6:21 PM
NZ Benz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

I'm not suprised that there are only two bolts each side on the Euro cars, the DOT bumpers on the US cars were put there due to impact regs so they would I imagine be bigger and heavier, hence the extra bolt.
#45567 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 7:37 PM
Pinot Noir

nomad - 9/21/2006 5:53 PM

???

Stale-mate there my friend. Perhaps things over there on the other side of the pond may be a little diffrent but then agian look where the steering wheel sits!

Have a nice day and....your welcome too.
#45584 - in reply to #45565
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 7:57 PM
Pinot Noir

I just can’t resist it…

And while we have the matter unfolded I would also like to point out how the United States was able to make even a industry leader like Mercedes Benz get off there ass and make there cars even safer than they were sold to there own. These shocks absorb impact in the unlikely event you are in an accident. It also helps in major accidents to keep frame damage to a minimum. On this same token we can forgive them because they introduced the driver’s side air bag standard in 1986 here in the US before most everyone else. That’s not to say that the snub nose look of the euro’s are not appealing, just that its putting looks over safety, something that got fixed just for us here in the good ole’ USA.

Its been fun. I will be glad to have my bumper shocks when I see some crazy nut driving at me in a 560 with Ohio plates looking to remove his bumper 

How do you remove a 126 bumper? Has anyone noticed that that thread is now locked on BenzPlanet?
#45588 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 9:34 PM
nomad

Well, I actually like the look of the US bumpers (2nd gen more than 1st though) and how they protrude more and I wish I had some earlier this year when I had my ding-dong with another car
#45608 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/21/2006 9:52 PM
NZ Benz
Expert

Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

Pinot Noir - 9/21/2006 7:57 PM

I just can’t resist it…

And while we have the matter unfolded I would also like to point out how the United States was able to make even a industry leader like Mercedes Benz get off there ass and make there cars even safer than they were sold to there own. These shocks absorb impact in the unlikely event you are in an accident. It also helps in major accidents to keep frame damage to a minimum. On this same token we can forgive them because they introduced the driver’s side air bag standard in 1986 here in the US before most everyone else. That’s not to say that the snub nose look of the euro’s are not appealing, just that its putting looks over safety, something that got fixed just for us here in the good ole’ USA.

Its been fun. I will be glad to have my bumper shocks when I see some crazy nut driving at me in a 560 with Ohio plates looking to remove his bumper 

How do you remove a 126 bumper? Has anyone noticed that that thread is now locked on BenzPlanet?

I'd be interested to see the what US built cars during that era were like safety wise compared to Mercedes.
#45611 - in reply to #45588
Author
Posted 9/22/2006 2:05 AM
Robbo

Aren't the bumber shocks only rated to a speed of six (6)MPH?
#45635 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/22/2006 2:23 AM
Robbo

My mistake, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 215 states the bumper is to withstand a five (5) MPH impact.
#45637 - in reply to #45431
Author
Posted 9/22/2006 2:46 AM
Pinot Noir

NZ Benz - 9/21/2006 9:52 PM

I'd be interested to see the what US built cars during that era were like safety wise compared to Mercedes.

Well that depends. Considering a comparable/competitive TOP OF THE LINE luxury vehicle manufactured in the USA cost about $40,000 less than a Mercedes (At that time 1986-1991) one could say that you get what you pay for.

Although I don’t care for the 85-91 Cadillac’s the 92's and up are still very fine rides and hold a stronger resale here in the USA dollar for dollar. Although the top of the line DTS Caddie is STILL 20-40 grand less than a top of the line AMG Benz the center/gray market trends really beat down a Benz in America.

See driving a luxury American brand vehicle such as Cadillac or Lincoln here in the United States says "Hey I got good taste; I have money and kiss my ass its American". Not many people have any respect for the Mercedes here in America except for what some poor sap paid for it in the beginning. I only say that because most people think paying more than 30-40K for a car means your crazy and have too much money or a little wee-wee.

In 1991 the cost of a Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL was about the median cost for a small HOME in most of the Metro-Detroit Wayne county area. Really before I purchased mine first one some 6 years ago I never even paid them any notices except to say that there parts were rumored to cost a fortune.

I am impressed with a lot of things on the w126 Mercedes. Supposes that’s why I have run with it for so long, that and the fact that I could buy them for peanuts. I can only think of about 5 people in the entire 7 forums I am reviewing world wide that can truly fix there own Mercedes inside and out. I am one of them and I have proved it with over 10 vehicles all 100% torn down and a hand full of the good bodied ones rebuilt, driven for at least a year and then sold. All the best went into our 560 and the rest have paid for the entire ride lock stock and barrel.

So for me Mercedes has become more a way of life then my mode of transportation. I could drive any vehicle I wanted I guess... What happened? Guess life ordained that I be in a Mercedes. That’s not to say I limited to Mercedes...

Here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ry6w3mRm-FM

I think all this BS insecurity keeping SELLC down is bullsheeeat. These name games are what takes away from the task at hand and they are "Reared" by forum owners who knowingly allow it to go on. I have people that test my integrity every day by posting crap on my site that would make you toes curl! But you have to deal with it, you can ban and slander them without knowing they will be back to prove otherwise. If you run a public forum legally you can not stop them from viewing your site. Efforts to EXPOSE hypocrisy, slander and "Black balling" are not wrong. It’s called setting the record straight. Just like what you have seen unfold here.

I can’t believe people have the gull to ask where all the hostility comes from!

Hey NZ Benz, how is that for an answer? Even though your daddy paid for your ride I think you got way more class and character than that punk-azz Snibble. After all, his daddy could not spring for the extra $10,000 for the w140!!

Buuuhhhaahahahahahahahahahaha

(DSC00902.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00902.JPG (145KB - 4 downloads)
#45639 - in reply to #45611
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12