Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Audio, Telematics & Lighting : G-Wagon HID Conversion?

Page 1 of 1 1
G-Wagon HID Conversion?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/29/2006 2:51 PM
urbaninja

Date registered: Dec 1899
G-Wagon HID Conversion?

have any of you guys ever thought about switching the headlights out w/

Hella 4000 compact Xenons? http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/Pr...

and switching the fogs out w/

Rallye 2100 Xenons? http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/Pr...

any suggestions or ideas? thx in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/30/2006 1:38 PM
Scheinwerfermann

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): Too many to list
RE: G-Wagon HID Conversion?

This might be workable if you never take your Gwagen into traffic, ever, even for just a few miles. Not just for legal reasons but for safety reasons, you need to have high and low beams. And those beams need to meet certain specific light distribution requirements—you can't just declare any ol' pair of lamps the lows and another pair the highs, no matter how you mount and aim them.

What is it that you're trying to achieve? 

#51079 - in reply to #50962
Author
Posted 10/31/2006 5:22 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Scheinwerfermann - 10/30/2006 1:38 PM

This might be workable if you never take your Gwagen into traffic, ever, even for just a few miles. Not just for legal reasons but for safety reasons, you need to have high and low beams. And those beams need to meet certain specific light distribution requirements—you can't just declare any ol' pair of lamps the lows and another pair the highs, no matter how you mount and aim them.

What is it that you're trying to achieve?

Are there any alternatives to the HID Conversion which will improve OEM lighting?
#51149 - in reply to #51079
Author
Posted 11/4/2006 4:20 PM
Scheinwerfermann

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): Too many to list

Well, sure! Better bulbs and/or better lamps. What to buy and install depends on what one is starting with. The Osram 70/65w bulb is an extremely effective, cost-effective and consequence-free upgrade for any H4 headlamp in any Gwagen, including the '02-up ZKW units with window-clear lenses, for instance. But, as has been discussed in other threads in this forum, not all H4 lamps are created equal!
#51760 - in reply to #50962
Author
Posted 11/20/2006 10:55 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: G-Wagon HID Conversion?

i did the Hid conversion from HIDFORLESS.... you can never get them to work 100% with the car. I even had the dealer turn the setting to bi xenon in the computer. Still no luck.

Yes the lights are bright as can be, almost looked like two welding torches in the front of the car, But you never could use the HI beams, and we had to wire in resistors to keep the buld working. Bottom line is i dont know anyone that has gotten them to work in a G except those with Brabus conversion that make you have 4 head lights instead of 2.
#53706 - in reply to #50962
Author
Posted 11/20/2006 11:18 AM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
Re: G-Wagon HID Conversion?

I've had Daniel's Osram bulbs in my 02 for 3+ years. They are very good. The ZKW setup in the newer Gs are very good, I think Daniel even agrees. I quite frankly don't understand the need to change other than the flavor-of-the-week desire to look cool. Blue bulbs, cat eye, HID "kits"; they are all 2 steps backwards IMHO.
#53715 - in reply to #50962
Author
Posted 12/1/2006 8:10 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

KERR - 11/20/2006 10:55 AM
... Bottom line is i dont know anyone that has gotten them to work in a G except those with Brabus conversion that make you have 4 head lights instead of 2.

You haven't been paying attention then. I converted my G to HID almost one year ago and have posted about it several times. They work OUTSTANDINGLY well, and flawlessly. In fact, I look forward to driving my G at night just becuase of the headlamps. They are Bi-xenon high and low beam. I posted the details of my conversion, which was not simple. I spent quite a bit of effort engineering the various brackets, mounts, and wiring harness, so it is not for the faint of heart. But then neither is the G, or this forum.

Like I said earlier, any doubters are welcome to come by for a look.

Flame away. Delete at will. It's all just make-believe...

#54984 - in reply to #50962
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1