Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Audio, Telematics & Lighting : DRL's

Page 1 of 1 1
DRL's
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/31/2006 4:17 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
DRL's

Daniel, Do you know if the new OEM HID package on the 2007 ML's is DRL able? Do they come activated on a new delivery in the US, or do I have to request activatioin from the dealer?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/31/2006 5:58 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: DRL's

I believe DRLs can be activated via steering wheel controls.
#51242 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 10/31/2006 8:56 PM
firstmb

AsianML - 10/31/2006 5:58 PM

I believe DRLs can be activated via steering wheel controls.

that is correct...!!
#51321 - in reply to #51242
Author
Posted 11/2/2006 12:10 AM
samhmbz

RE: DRL's

DUTCH - 10/31/2006 1:17 PM
Daniel, Do you know if the new OEM HID package on the 2007 ML's is DRL able? Do they come activated on a new delivery in the US, or do I have to request activatioin from the dealer?

They dont come activated in the U.S, I believe they come activated in Canada and the Ca vehicles they dont the option to change the DRL settings in the cluster.
Sam

Edited by samhmbz 11/2/2006 12:11 AM
#51465 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 11/4/2006 4:21 PM
Scheinwerfermann

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): Too many to list

Even if there weren't a way to activate DRLs using the factory system, there is an easy, inexpensive way to add DRLs to whatever vehicle you might want to add them to (for whatever reason—you may feel safer with them, but the data do not support a significant safety benefit in North American driving conditions). I must confess (temporary!) ignorance as to what variety of DRL is used in the '07 ML. Probably low beam headlamps with parkers/markers/tails. This is one of the less-bad ways of implementing headlamp-based DRLs, certainly superior to BMW's reduced-intensity high beams, but headlamp-based DRLs are still really not the right way to do it.
#51762 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 11/20/2006 11:47 AM
KERR

i know nothing about the ML, but on the G i have you can select day time running lights. Not sure how it happend but some one turned them on and it took me for ever to figure out how to turn them off.
#53718 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 4/4/2007 3:31 PM
Doc Gadget

You say there is an easy, inexpensive way to add DRLs to whatever vehicle you might want. Could you please tell how?
I just bought a 1999 ML 320 in the US but to pass tech in Canada you gotta have DRL, so if anybody else could help me with this it would be greatly apreciated.
#69056 - in reply to #51762
Author
Posted 4/6/2007 10:06 PM
Scheinwerfermann

Vehicles with headlamp-based DRLs come equipped with Long Life bulbs. These are exceptionally warranty-friendly and conducive to use as   DRLs due to their long life, but their output is low and the beam focus (and resultant beam reach) they produce is poor, due to the filament modifications made to get extra long life out of them. This is a bad trade: A very small potential increase in daytime safety for a very large and definite decrease in nighttime safety. (NB this particular disadvantage doesn't apply to HIDs run as DRLs...but those have other disadvantages.) Headlamp-based DRLs are convenient for the manufacturer to implement, and are legal in almost every country that requires or permits DRLs, but are really the wrong way to do it.

Regardless of bulb variant, using the (filament) low beams as daytime running lamps   shortens the effective life of the bulb in terms of days' runtime between bulb changes. Not only that, but headlamp-based DRLs are not optimal as DRLs in terms of safety performance, and they consume significant fuel. Using headlamps as DRLs is akin to opening the fridge door, pulling up a chair and using the fridge light to read a book! There are much better-performing and less costly ways of implementing DRLs.

For retrofit purposes, the best implementation is the full-time operation of the front directional signals (except, of course, when they are operating as signals or the parking or headlamps are switched on). Directional signals produce a light distribution with a wide conspicuity angle, are generally well located for DRL service at the outboard edges of the front of the vehicle, consume considerably less power than any headlamp-based DRL implementation, use less-costly light sources of generally much longer life than any headlamp bulb, do not encourage improper nighttime use of lights, and do not require additional lighting devices to be added. Most recent Cadillacs, Chevrolet/GMC large vans and minivans, some Toyota and Lexus models, certain new Lincolns and
assorted other vehicles use this implementation, which is legal in the US and Canada.

You can easily enable this functionality in your vehicle using a DRL-1 module ($42 from me, see installation instructions here ).

#69301 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 4/14/2007 9:02 PM
AsianML

I read your post...but can't you just turn on the parking lamps, or is that what you mean in your "fridge light" comparison?
#70152 - in reply to #51228
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 4:15 PM
Scheinwerfermann

No. Parking lamps are not bright enough to serve as Daytime Running Lamps. Parking lamps emit between 4 and 125 candela, while front turn signals (and DRLs) emit around 450 to 700 candela. Plus, if you were just to turn on your parking lamps, you'd have a bunch of other lights on during the day that are best left off, and your instrument cluster & stereo illumination would dim.
#70545 - in reply to #70152
Author
Posted 4/18/2007 7:30 PM
AsianML

Scheinwerfermann - 4/18/2007 4:15 PM No. Parking lamps are not bright enough to serve as Daytime Running Lamps. Parking lamps emit between 4 and 125 candela, while front turn signals (and DRLs) emit around 450 to 700 candela. Plus, if you were just to turn on your parking lamps, you'd have a bunch of other lights on during the day that are best left off, and your instrument cluster & stereo illumination would dim.
When you say this, do you mean front turn signals and whatever bulb the DRLs use?

In the case of the ML, the parking lamps are also the front signals, and if the lights are turned on in the daytime, the instrument cluster and MCS screen also stay brightly backlit.

Is it still worth it?

#70583 - in reply to #70545
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1