Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W211 E Class : E500 oil change experience (long)

Page 1 of 1 1
E500 oil change experience (long)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 11:49 PM
fgwinn

Date registered: Dec 1899
E500 oil change experience (long)

I just completed the fifth oil change on my 2005 E500 4matic last weekend. I have been changing the oil at 6500 miles, twice as often as specified by MB. It may be a waste of time and money, but, I prefer to use the more conservative interval. Anyway, I thought I would share a few of my observations and frustrations.

I use a Mityvac oil extractor model that requires an air compressor. The first time I changed the oil I extracted the oil through the dipstick tube at the front of the car. I used the largest plastic tube supplied with the Mityvac and only attached it at the top of the dipstick tube using a rubber stopper (with hole in it). Before I started evacuating the oil, I raised the front of the car, removed the plastic panel below the engine, and loosened the drain plug. I then lowered the car, evacuated as much oil as I could and then removed about 150ml more from the bottom of the engine.

I followed the owner's manual guidelines and refilled with 8 quarts (7.5 liters) even though I had drained about 8 liters from the engine. A week later I was getting a one quart low oil warning when I checked the oil level from the dashboard. I added another half quart at that time. I subsequently learned that the E500 4matic engine calls for 8 liters of oil per the WIS manual.

On subsequent oil changes I use the large diameter evacuation tube for the first 7 liters and then follow up with a small diameter plastic tube inserted in the dipstick tube until it bottoms out at the oil pan. I am able to extract a full 8 liters using this approach. The volume of oil extracted is usually about 1cm higher than the 8 liter level mark on the Mityvac container. On the fifth oil change I observed that the oil level in the Mityvac would drop about 1cm to the 8 liter mark after the oil cooled overnight. I suspect that this explains why the official MB oil consumption test measures the amount of oil extracted by weight rather than by volume.

I acuired the oil dip stick from an eBay auction for about $40. This tool is calibrated with a mm scale. The correct level for my engine is about 120mm from the bottom of the oil pan. While I typically get consistent readings on the dipstick when I take repeated readings in series, it's not unusual to get readings anywhere between 110mm and 120mm. There is a hidden oil measurement procedure using the dashboard display. It supposedly measures the oil in tenths of a quart, rather than the normal oil check which simply reads "OK" or "1 quart low", etc. The highest reading I have ever gotten on the hidden menu is 7.9 quarts, and a typical reading is 7.5 to 7. 6 quarts. I have never seen 8.5 quarts, even immediately after doing an oil change.

About 1000 miles before my fourth oil change I was seeing readings on the dip stick of about 110mm. I added one half quart twice between the 3rd and 4th oil changes. When I changed the oil the fourth time I extracted about 9 liters or one liter more than I should have gotten. This turned out to be somewhat of a mess as the Mityvac capacity was exceeded. Needless to say I do not fully trust the dipstick reading and I definetly do not trust the oil measurement on the hidden dashboard procedure to measure oil level.

Before changing the oil last weekend I checked the level with both the dipstick tool and the dashboard tool. The dipstick read 115mm and the dashboard display read 7.5 quarts. Before evacuating the oil I loosened the oil filter and allowed the oil to drain from the filter cavity. The oil level on the dipstick raised up to the "normal" 120mm level. I don't plan on adding any engine oil between changes unless the dipstick reads below the 110mm mark.

Does this experience parallel anyone's experience with their MB?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1