Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Audio, Telematics & Lighting : Powering a Laptop

Page 1 of 1 1
Powering a Laptop
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 7:55 AM
Gareth Coe

Date registered: Dec 1899
Powering a Laptop

I want to take my laptop away with me in the Mog.  Just for watching DVDs and downloading photos from my camera.  What's the best way to keep it powered-up?  Do I plug it into a power socket when it's running, get a second battery and power that up while the laptop is working and then swap, or something else?  Don't know much about computery things (except that they don't like mud, and Mogscrapper's one likes custard creams) so all suggestions appreciated.

Gareth

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 8:08 AM
ttaleric

Re: Powering a Laptop

What kind of laptop do you have?

Some lappys can use a regular cig lighter. I use to have a set, but you can find them online.

http://www.priorityelectronics.com/laptop-car-adapter.htm
#7003 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 1:34 PM
Gareth Coe

RE: Powering a Laptop

It's a silver one

Er, seriously now ~ it's a Dell Inspiron 630m.  I have seen thingies advertised for a cigar lighter but wondered if this was the best way to go...

#7126 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 2:37 PM
ttaleric

Why wouldn't it be the way to go? I think Kingston makes a set for dell..
#7143 - in reply to #7126
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 6:59 PM
AndrewAZ

You could by a power inverter and then just plug in your normal power plug. I have seen some nice ones at best buy that where open box and less than $25. That way you could also use it for other things that use AC power vs DC power that computers use.
#7297 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 8:01 PM
sin0822

i had one of those thing, blew my fuse
#7346 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 8:40 PM
1996_S500

AndrewAZ - 5/2/2006 3:59 PM

You could by a power inverter and then just plug in your normal power plug. I have seen some nice ones at best buy that where open box and less than $25. That way you could also use it for other things that use AC power vs DC power that computers use.

I have one. It works good. Nice to have if you forgot to charge your cell phone, and lost the car charger.
#7377 - in reply to #7297
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 10:44 PM
ttaleric

I have used the ones that I have posted (kingston). They work great. Never have had a problem.
#7543 - in reply to #7377
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 3:59 PM
Gareth Coe

AndrewAZ - 5/2/2006 11:59 PM You could by a power inverter and then just plug in your normal power plug. I have seen some nice ones at best buy that where open box and less than $25. That way you could also use it for other things that use AC power vs DC power that computers use.

Yeah, I've seen these things.  Am I right in assuming my laptop runs on DC power, and the box halfway along the flex converts my AC mains power into DC?  If this is the case, it seems a bit of a strange exercise to convert my Mog's DC power into AC just so I can change it back into DC again :err:   Isn't that a bit of a waste of energy?  Please feel free to correct me on this one, coz in this area I am a bit of a

#7867 - in reply to #7297
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 4:17 PM
ttaleric

If you go and look at the link i provided, even the dell site, even ebay.. You will find car adapters for your laptop.
#7878 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:50 AM
Gareth Coe

Thanks for the help chaps  

#8299 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 2:08 AM
AndrewAZ

Gareth Coe - 5/3/2006 12:59 PM

AndrewAZ - 5/2/2006 11:59 PM You could by a power inverter and then just plug in your normal power plug. I have seen some nice ones at best buy that where open box and less than $25. That way you could also use it for other things that use AC power vs DC power that computers use.

Yeah, I've seen these things.  Am I right in assuming my laptop runs on DC power, and the box halfway along the flex converts my AC mains power into DC?  If this is the case, it seems a bit of a strange exercise to convert my Mog's DC power into AC just so I can change it back into DC again :err:   Isn't that a bit of a waste of energy?  Please feel free to correct me on this one, coz in this area I am a bit of a

yes computer run on DC power. Your car also puts out DC power. Your laptop power cord has a box on it that usually connect half way form the wall to the computer that converts the AC current to DC. The adapter you have listed basically takes the DC power and makes sure its constant and clean so it doesn't fry your computer. The power inverter way takes the DC>AC>DC that way you can use your stock power cord I suggest doing it this way since it is usually cheaper since all you need is a cheap power inverter (best buy open box) and that way you can also use your stock laptop power adapter to further insure that you get the right supply of power to the laptop. Yes you will have some wasted energy but its would be just about impossible to calculate the $$ amount that you lose from doing it DC>AC>DC.

It is possible to just connect your computer directly by doing some wire cutting and bypass the need for any adapter but I dont recomend it since you might end up blowing up your computer or hurting your self.

After looking at some power inverter prices maybe you should just go for laptop DC>DC. But I would still check out best buy since my friend got a 400watt power inverter for $19.99 open box. The good thing about the inverter is you can use it for anything we run, spot lights off it, fog machines(dont ask), TV, and of course a camera.

Edited by AndrewAZ 5/5/2006 2:17 AM
#8870 - in reply to #7867
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 6:15 AM
Gareth Coe

Thanks.  Easy for non-techies like me to understand

So, tell us about the fog machine

#8890 - in reply to #7000
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 7:45 PM
AndrewAZ

Gareth Coe - 5/5/2006 3:15 AM

Thanks.  Easy for non-techies like me to understand

So, tell us about the fog machine

Well back in HS we decided for the heck of it to fill one of my friends pick up trucks with water to make a pool in the back of it. Well we made the pool and had the stupid people to ride in the back so we needed a chose/film car. Well my friend had this fog machine in his garage and was like wouldnt it be cool if we filled your car with fog and had the windows down so the fog came out the windows. Well we got that plugged in fog machine in the back of the ML and started it up. In a few mins we where all coughing from the fog it didnt really work the way we planed it. I guess we are lucky we started it up before we drove off... now the pick up truck pool worked good until the pick up truck had to make a stop, a ton of water went into the pick truck since the window to the bed of the pick up was open... 1 soaked driver and 1 soaked passenger later our mobile pool only made it 1/2 block... I will have to look and see if I still have pictures of this but this happened a long long time ago back when the computer I was using crashed and I lost just about everything on it.
#9187 - in reply to #8890
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1