Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W210 E Class : Oil is Leaking Somewhere - How to Fix?? Need Quick Response.

Page 1 of 1 1
Oil is Leaking Somewhere - How to Fix?? Need Quick Response.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 10:39 AM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Oil is Leaking Somewhere - How to Fix?? Need Quick Response.

I don't know why, but a few minutes ago I decided to pull the engine cover - I guess to see what's under there!!! Well, I don't like what I'm seeing. The right cylinder bank is very wet with mixture of oil/dust/crud all over. I cleaned thinking it's the cylinder head gasket. Tightened the torx screws that hold the rocker. Then realized that the oil is coming from under the spark plug electronic thingies - those square boxes just above the plugs. I didn't realize that these look straight into the cylinders!!! I assume there's a gasket under there somewhere. Are they fixable or is this a replacement job? I cleaned the best I could, would like to spray some simple green and hose down but want to ask first if I can even afford to get these things wet. The injectors are there also as well as a bunch of engine control harness plugs. What do I do? Thanks for quick reply.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2007 11:36 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
RE: Oil is Leaking Somewhere - How to Fix?? Need Quick Response.

PLEASE don't "Hose anything down"!!!! The last thing you need is getting moisture down into the coil packs/sparkplugs and really screwing things up.
I'm sure I will get differing opinions, but you should never spray your engine down with water, UNLESS you meticuously protect a slew of sensitive parts.

Can you submit any pictures? Do you have oil on you garage floor??

Do you change the oil yourself??

It may be something as simple as some oil monkey spilling oil during a change. Is it, by chance, mostly on the RIGHT front part of the engine (ie. behind the oil filling port??)

Pics would be best.
#72016 - in reply to #71937
Author
Posted 4/29/2007 12:29 AM
Darkmann

No, I didn't hose anything down - I just cleaned the cruddy residues with some tissue paper and put back the cover. FYI: I have hosed down the engine on this, my ML and every Nissan I have ever owned, and never had a problem. When I tried this on a MR2 once, it coughed it's way back to Toyota the dealer at my xpense!!! I guess it all depends.

In any case, I don't have pics, but it's on the right rocker cover, all around the plug coils. And no, it's not overspill from oil change - this wetness is on the tranny dipstick side - and I have my local MB shop do all my maintenance work. The first three coils on the right side are wet underneath and the rocker cover is also wet around these coils. The fourth coil, the one closest to the firewall is completely dry, just like the four on the left (driver's) side. There's no drip on the floor, not even on the plugs - it's not that kind of leak - just wet and gooky looking and cruddy looking, but it's definitely engine oil coming from somewhere around those coils, albeit slowly. Apparently it's been like this for a long while.

Can't I just take the coils off, clean them and replace whatever gasket is there and I'll be on my merry way? Mb couldn't have thought of making it that simple, could they??? Or is the entire head gasket on that bank of cylinders gone???
#72018 - in reply to #71937
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 12:51 PM
FrankiE55

Re: Oil is Leaking Somewhere - How to Fix?? Need Quick Response.

i have the exact same issue. It's almost like you're describing my car. My mechanic seemed to think it was an ever so sight leak from the underside of the valve cover. we completely cleaned the area and are going to check it in another 1000 or so miles. If the leak comes back we'll do a gasket job and go from there. If you find anything else out on your own i'd be curious to find the solution. Oil level seems to be normal by the way.
#72430 - in reply to #71937
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 8:15 PM
Darkmann

Yep, all cleaned up and I will monitor the situation. I really hope it's not the head gasket. My next move is to pull out the coil packs that are affected to see what the interface to the rocker cover looks like. If it's a gasket or O-ring at that interface, then that'd be easy to replace. But I'll keep all posted. And there's no effect on oil level - almost like just "oil vapor" condensing on stuff over and over and over again, and catching some road dust along the way.

Edited by Darkmann 5/2/2007 8:17 PM
#72477 - in reply to #71937
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1