Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W210 E Class : To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter

Page 1 of 1 1
To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 7:33 AM
Majesty

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '99 E320

To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter

To cat or not to Catalytic Converter

In line with living in what is easily the most amazing and beautiful country in the world, I drive (soon to become) the sleekest wheels in the automotive planet.

My stock standard '99 E320 is in almost prestine conditions bar a few age issues...

I spoke to a spanner and torch dude, who took the liberty of informing me that my darling babe would purr much sweeeter and leap further if  I removed the Catalytic Converter (or analytic protector or prophylactic possessor - well it took me a while to make out just what the hell he was going on about).

Help! Had any experience with removing this thingy and the effect it had on your wheels? I'd hate to stuff my babe up on the insolicited advice.

Cruise on!:help:

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 9:03 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter

I really don't know if it's possible without messing with your computer controlled sensors and it would probably throw your check engine light and a bunch of codes. I do know it would mess with your back pressure which could screw around with your performance. Such a newer model as this one, I wouldn't do it, if it were mine.
#73256 - in reply to #73250
Author
Posted 5/7/2007 12:38 PM
lkchris
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '07 GL320CDI, '06 E320CDI

I suspect your car has an oxygen sensor BEFORE the cat converter to measure how well the computer engine control system is working and adjust it accordingly.  Many w210 have a second oxygen sensor AFTER the cat converter to measure how well the first sensor (plus the cat) are doing.

Simply "cutting out the cat" seems a pretty primitive approach and one not based on much technical understanding. 

For example, does your "mechanic" know how to react should the computer system put the car into some sort of "limp" mode should it not detect correct oxygen sensor inputs?  Does he know if it would?

#73281 - in reply to #73250
Author
Posted 5/8/2007 6:49 PM
Roch207
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD
Re: To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter

The other issue is the existence of any government regulations. Here is the Republic of Massachusetts, removal of a Catalytic Coverter can result in a public stoning and a stern reprimand placed in your permanent file. Not to mention failure of your smog inspection, causing you to replace the cat you took off in the first place.
#73506 - in reply to #73250
Author
Posted 5/9/2007 4:52 AM
Majesty

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): '99 E320

Didn't think his "hack and weld" approach would be any good for my babe.

Thanx brethren under the star.

#73556 - in reply to #73281
Author
Posted 5/11/2007 1:12 PM
storm

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: To Cat or not not to Catalytic Converter

my 1998 E320 came without a cat since it was PK spec (we still have leaded fuel) and when i decided to keep it in the UK (got delivery there) i had to spend a small fortune getting it to UK spec, whcih involved getting some software changes and some hardware.

I don't think it's that easy to do a "cut & shut" job on a W210.
#73930 - in reply to #73250
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1