Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : Another butchered Mercedes

Page 1 of 1 1
Another butchered Mercedes
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/12/2007 2:24 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320
Another butchered Mercedes

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=97467840&key=415088

Yuck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/12/2007 3:52 AM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Another butchered Mercedes

I'd gotten a small LCD screen and thought I'd add it to one of the cars with a computer and a secondary screen for DVD in the rear, but none of mine would really work.

The Shlomo isn't really long enough to add traytables(to sit a keyboard on) to, but a matching wooden screen enclosure/ceiling console wouldn't look terribly out of place, would it? The smaller screen could be set into the dash panel, and a fibreglass enclosure could be covered with blue vinyl. The dash could also be covered in vinyl to match, and with frenched stitching would be insanely nice.

I'd go all out and redo the dash wood to match the new custom pieces if I went the Shlomo car.

In the leon, it'd fit right in the dash and work wherever Dolores II(the stereo) lives now.

The VW would be terribly easily modified-- Just stick it to the dash with a magnet!

I don't know which computer would work! There's a pair of G3 iBooks that are 300 and 900mhz. Both have WiFi, but only the 900 has video out. There's a PII 366 PC laptop I could get video out of, and a pIII 650 desktop as well. This one is a 17" iMac, but it's entirely too big.

Hm. I'm way out in left field, but I suppose what I was going to say is that they ought to not just tack things to their dashes! There are tasteful ways to integrate new technologies!
#74052 - in reply to #74040
Author
Posted 5/12/2007 4:28 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

iNeon - 5/12/2007 3:52 AMHm. I'm way out in left field, but I suppose what I was going to say is that they ought to not just tack things to their dashes! There are tasteful ways to integrate new technologies!

I've often toyed with the idea of a computer in a car, mount the coumputer in the boot so you can have lots of space round it and air flowing throught the different components, it would be great to hold all the music and other stuff that you would ever need on a HDD and you could even run GPS etc through it, I think the biggest advantage however would be that you could use a decent soundcard and the computer's power from that as an amp for the cars speakers, when you start to think about all the stuff you could do with a computer with a decent amount of processing power in a car it really starts to look like a pretty decent project in terms of bang for buck.

But like you say the real problem comes in when you try to intergrate that device with the cars origional interior, considering it's got to be workable for the driver to use. I've seen things the size of a DVD drive that mount in the front of a PC that look like car stereos that I guess you could mount in the dash in place of the cars head unit, the thing is having a screen thats big enough to control the thing with ease. That and you'd have to wait for the thing to boot up each time you got in the car.

I think the greatest merit lies with mounting one of the newer command units from a modern MB into an older car, as it's black like the interior and looks factory.
#74056 - in reply to #74040
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 5:30 AM
shrimpton

It's only an old 2 litre, and I'm picking the seller is about 16.
#74563 - in reply to #74040
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 6:47 AM
AsianML

Re: Another butchered Mercedes

I'd be more worried about the stuff getting stolen...(iNeon).
#74564 - in reply to #74563
Author
Posted 5/26/2007 11:29 PM
iNeon

Why would you worry about them being stolen? New cars are sold with all that stuff too-- an alarm is an alarm.
#75766 - in reply to #74040
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1