Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Welcome to PointedThree : Welcome New Member! : Hello From Central Florida

Page 1 of 1 1
Hello From Central Florida
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/21/2007 4:09 PM
deevee

Date registered: Dec 1899
Hello From Central Florida

Tomorrow or the next day I will be bringing home my new OLD 1981 380-SLC .. Stopped in to post in hopes someone or everyone will tell me what a GREAT car I am getting. 150,000 miles. That is a drop in the bucket compared to the miles I have on my 67 VW Bus.

The leather needs some oil and it smells musty as you can imagine after being closed up tight for years and years. The compressor works and the fan did until today. The windows all work, the body is perfect. The paint has some bad spots but no rust ..

Paid $1,500 .. did I do ok ???

Diane
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/21/2007 4:47 PM
AsianML

Re: Hello From Central Florida

I'm not sure if you did okay, but I can say you bought a BEAUTIFUL car! A little time and care will get it up and running in no time.
#75178 - in reply to #75172
Author
Posted 5/21/2007 5:53 PM
BenzDieselTuner

RE: Hello From Central Florida

i can say for sure that you got a damm good deal, even if it needs a major tuneup, and some brakes and shocks and suspension parts..........

if i would have seen that car around here for 1500, i would'v gotten my ride over there to buy it from the flatbed guy who was removing it to my property for me....

EDIT: dont forget to service the transmission, new filter/fluid/and drain that torque converter....

Edited by BenzDieselTuner 5/21/2007 5:54 PM
#75184 - in reply to #75172
Author
Posted 5/21/2007 6:00 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Hello From Central Florida

Part of being a member of a good automotive forum is getting and receiving honest advice. That said, there's no doubt the 380 is a beautiful coupe. Unfortunately, the 380 engine is a very problematic and expensive engine in the Mercedes line-up. The 380 has a 'flaw', so to speak and that is with the timing chain. It seems the chains were way too weak for the engine and they would stretch to the point the tensioner couldn't take up the slack, causing it to jump a link wreaking havoc and mayhem with your engine. I've heard estimates just to modify this engine with the new double timing chain to be in upwards of $4,500!. There may be after market kits available at a less expensive price but the labor is still going to get you. If the engine in your car does not have the modified 'double chain', look out! It can jump links and tear up hell and half of Georgia. My friend in Rock Island Tennessee fixed his wife's 380 SL and it cost $4,000 about 7 years ago and their car had 110,000 miles on it. He said he'd never own another one. I wouldn't go so far as to say you got burned but the 380 SL's are just not worth much because of this problem. There are several here in town setting around with weeds growing against them and I won't touch them with a 20 1/2 ft. pole. I'm not trying to scare you but I wouldn't drive it until I was sure it had the modification done to it.
#75185 - in reply to #75172
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1