Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W210 E Class : Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)

Page 1 of 1 1
Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 12:37 AM
storm

Date registered: Dec 1899
Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)

(original post by earthwonder on BW, I do not claim this to by my own work

I got the CPS sensor from www.alloemautoparts.com for about $45.00(aka reference sensor / crankshaft posititon sensor / heard of it called a camshaft sensor too). It is a little cheaper on the 97' vs 00'. I don't know why. Let me say first that this fix immediately fixed the cold cranking problem. I can't express in words how happy I am. Anyways, I'll explain where the CPS sensor is. Imagine your standing on the the driver side fender looking down. You are also standing parallel to the driver side front tire. Locate the black plastic cover over the entire engine, at the right end of the plastic engine cover will be the sensor dug deep down. Also, the sensor is located between the engine and the firewall. You will have to remove the engine cover to get to the sensor unless you have extrememly small hands. There is a single torx nut holding it down. There is also a single wire/cable which connects to the sensor, just pull on it vertically to remove it. I wasn't able to remove the nut with my rachet set even though I had the right torx lug because of the angle of the torx nut made it impossible to get any leverage. I instead used a small allen wrech tool which worked perfectly. It fit right in there and twisted easily. The torx nut was not in there tight at all. Makes me wonder if maybe if it was just loose all along so the original sensor wasn't able to "sense" whats going on. Installation is self explantory. Hope this helps someone. Below are pictures!

(sensor.gif)

(approxloc.JPG)

(closesup.JPG)

(DSC00604.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments
sensor.gif (49KB - 28 downloads)
Attachments approxloc.JPG (39KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments closesup.JPG (26KB - 24 downloads)
Attachments DSC00604.JPG (18KB - 23 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/22/2006 5:16 AM
99clk320

RE: Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)

Excellent!!!

However, this and every other cps post never gets into the specifics of the torque screw. I think i found what could be the cps at the back of the engine on my 99 clk 320. it's got a cable going to it, but i don't see the screw/bolt. is it correct that it's facing downwards and that you can only get to it with your hands but can't physically see it?

also, many of the posts indicate that a 1/4" drive E8 socket is needed. i wondered how earthwonder was able to remove a this bolt with an allen wrench, unless there is a small slot in the bolt for such an insertion. if so, does anyone know the size of the allen wrench needed?

lastly, when you actually do a search for this part at thebenzbin, fastlane, etc, you'll find two (e.g. [url]http://mercedes.thebenzbin.com/?year...ld 22222.y=12) one with a double interlock at the flywheel for over $100 bucks, and one with a single interlock for approx $75 bucks. which is the correct part as they're both listed for a 99 clk 320. Many have mentioned that your local Autozone would have this part as well, they only have one listed ([url]http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...ENONE%7C%7E V) and it's only $55 bucks for the part (albeit a non oem brand). Not sure which to go with.

thanks so much. this should answer a lot of the same questions i would think many others would have. e.g. aside from where it is, the direction its facing and what type it is (e.g. need socket or allen wrench), and the exact part (considering that there are typically 3 options).

cheers all. i hate that i know this is a sub $100 part (potentially $55 if you guys think the autozone part is ok), and that it takes only 15 minutes to replace, but even the local auto shop wants to charge me $220 to make the replacement. ridiculous!!! that god for all you diy'ers!!!
#32401 - in reply to #7618
Author
Posted 7/25/2006 1:41 PM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350
Re: Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)

Did you know that if your motor mounts are worn, this sensor will send a "Check Engine" signal to the computer? Common on ML's.
#32951 - in reply to #7618
Author
Posted 3/2/2007 2:57 PM
lkchris
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '07 GL320CDI, '06 E320CDI

WIS procedure for CPS replacment includes ...

If the crankshaft position sensor was replaced, a re-initialization must be carried out with STAR DIAGNOSIS in the menu item control unit adaptations.

Seems implication here is that this wasn't performed. 

Comments?

#65677 - in reply to #7618
Author
Posted 3/4/2007 9:14 PM
okieboy203

A 6mm socket will fit the bolt holding down the CPS. To remove "check engine" light after installation, start and drive the car for about five minutes. Turn the engine off, then restart the car, the engine light will disappear.
#65903 - in reply to #32401
Author
Posted 3/6/2007 3:52 PM
storm

Re: Installation of Crank Position Sensor (CPS)

glad to see some activity in the W210 forums finally.....
#66032 - in reply to #7618
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1