Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Coupe and Convertible Forums : W209 New CLK Class : It begins...

Page 1 of 2 12
It begins...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/27/2007 7:19 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
It begins...

People are trading in their CLKs for the new BMW retractable.

If MB doesn't put a retractable on the forthcoming CLK model,
they'll be shooting themselves in the foot but seriously.

"The ONLY reason we are selling it is because my wife wants a retractable hardtop BMW!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 12:18 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: It begins...

They can't design a $60,000 car to NOT include blanked switches? Didn't they used to use different pieces of trim in the w124 "CLK" models to keep them from looking like this? They had 'blanks,' but they were covered with fancy wood, and just plain looked more thought out than this setup.

I simply adore the Mid-Size models; they're the only automobiles Benz currently builds that have any class about them. The new C and S just aren't elegant. Sure they're fancy-- but they've lost the timelessness that is so crucial to the company's long term success.

My brain is *so* built for off-topic.

Yeah-- they should have gotten this technology from Chrysler before the split Look for it soon. We beat ya to it
#76365 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 3:59 PM
AsianML

In the case of the CLK, since the buttons are all "attached" to one another (not really, but you get what I'm saying), IMO, it would look better if they did that way. If you took the blanks out, you'd have buttons all over the place, even if they rearranged them, it would have a huge spot of wood surrounding it. This is one of the problems I have with the W215. It wouldn't look as symmetrical.

What you're referring to though with the design of the buttons, did exist in the W220 and W163. I'm not sure about most of the other models, but most are set up very similarly to the W209.

#76395 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 5:45 PM
iNeon

I assure you it is not such an unmovable mountain as you're saying it is.

The image you posted is not of the model Marsie did. The blanked switches remind me of an economy car-- Not a luxury model. If they cared as much about design and luxury as they claim to-- they would have been more thoughtful from the beginning.

PlastiChrome™ surrounding a blanked-out switch doesn't make it any more refined or luxuriant-- it's still a cheap plastic fake switch-- the likes of which can be seen in any rental company's $13,000.00 PT Cruiser.

"Engineered like every other. Except we say they're not; so they're not. We're arrogant enough to believe it ourselves, so everyone else should too."
#76429 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 5:52 PM
AsianML

iNeon - 5/30/2007 5:45 PM I assure you it is not such an unmovable mountain as you're saying it is. The image you posted is not of the model Marsie did. The blanked switches remind me of an economy car-- Not a luxury model. If they cared as much about design and luxury as they claim to-- they would have been more thoughtful from the beginning. PlastiChrome™ surrounding a blanked-out switch doesn't make it any more refined or luxuriant-- it's still a cheap plastic fake switch-- the likes of which can be seen in any rental company's $13,000.00 PT Cruiser. "Engineered like every other. Except we say they're not; so they're not. We're arrogant enough to believe it ourselves, so everyone else should too." :rollseyes:
Yeah, I know. That's the CL, which I used as an example of my post and how I personally feel.
#76431 - in reply to #76429
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 6:00 PM
iNeon

Apologies.

When I was shopping so many years ago, I made sure the model they got me had fog lights, because I absolutely HATE knowing there's an option that would fill dash space and add visual interest/functionality.

Let me ask this-- Do the fully-optioned models have blanked-switches, or can enough options be ordered to fill them all?

Japanese manufacturers are notorious for including blanked switches that no option can fill. I suppose it's for foreign-market cars, but they've got to know how tacky they look.
#76436 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 6:35 PM
AsianML

iNeon - 5/30/2007 6:00 PM Apologies. When I was shopping so many years ago, I made sure the model they got me had fog lights, because I absolutely HATE knowing there's an option that would fill dash space and add visual interest/functionality. Let me ask this-- Do the fully-optioned models have blanked-switches, or can enough options be ordered to fill them all? Japanese manufacturers are notorious for including blanked switches that no option can fill. I suppose it's for foreign-market cars, but they've got to know how tacky they look.
I can't answer about the CLK and C (same switches up top) fully. From what I've seen on different CLKs and Cs across eBay, they should fill up. There isn't a single model on eBay with all buttons filled up, but with each one being individually different in options, they seem to add together.
#76448 - in reply to #76436
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 6:40 PM
iNeon

There's only one way to find out, my young Asian friend-- We must consult MBUSA.com!

I shall return with a list of options shortly
#76452 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/30/2007 9:16 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Eeek...Neon got lost at MBUSA! 

Meanwhile...I agree, I hate the blanks, but I also agree that even the blanks are more attractive than the aysymmetrical swtiches you'd end up with before.

BTW, I think the lower half of certain switches would still be blank in a fully-optioned model, but not the end switches.  Even mine looks okay, since I have heated seats.

Of course it would look that much better with AVS  

#76529 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 12:05 AM
iNeon

This is what I have(had to take my Sister and Niece to the dentist)

| Heat | Blank | Rear Shade | ESP | | Lock | Rear Headrests | Tow Mode | Heat |

| Vent | Blank | Shade Down| off? | | UnL | Headrest Dn? | TM off? | Vent |

Is the second switch used for the sunroof in coupé models? Why wouldn't they use it for the powered roof in cabrios? Are the lower switches used to put the rear headrests down and to turn off ESP/ Tow mode? If they are-- why aren't they labeled; and if they're not-- why aren't they?
#76548 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 1:40 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Cabrio roof switch is always going to have to be in a unique spot, so no one hits it by accident. 

As to your other questions, it depends on which model we're talking about!

#76555 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 1:44 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

We only have rear-head-restraints-down.  You have to lift them up manually.

The second button is the elec rear sunshade and the chrome button underneath the 4-way flashers
is everyone's favorite gizmo, it causes the whole panel to displace so you can change CDs

#76557 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 1:12 PM
iNeon

Marsden - 5/31/2007 12:40 AM

Cabrio roof switch is always going to have to be in a unique spot, so no one hits it by accident. 

As to your other questions, it depends on which model we're talking about!

The cabrio roof switch is in the center console, and looks(to me) like it would be MUCH easier to push on accident there than in the ***upper*** switchpod.

You showed a sedan's switchpod-- the CLK version I saw on MBUSA is squared, not bulbous. It is also mounted above the stereo, not below it. The switches are all in different locations on the CLK as compared to the sedan. I'm not trying to make anything up as I go!! That IS a sedan, right?!?

It looks(in the late w209 image) like all the switches CAN be filled!! But I can't tell what the switch is in the image, unfortunately.

(2005-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Cabriolet-by-Armani-Interior-1920x1440.jpg)

(209-brian2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2005-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Cabriolet-by-Armani-Interior-1920x1440.jpg (605KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments 209-brian2.jpg (53KB - 2 downloads)
#76611 - in reply to #76555
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 4:17 PM
AsianML

Re: It begins...

I'm not sure about the CLK, but I think the cabrio button is lifted, rather than pushed.
#76641 - in reply to #76611
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 6:52 PM
iNeon

Semantics, my child. It's both poorly positioned and poorly integrated into the console.

Besides-- I'm almost certain that it's integrated into the park lock circuit-- it should be if it isn't. Inadvertant pushing of the button ought to not open the roof at 80MPH, even in something like a lowly Sebring-- let alone it's more expensive cousin

I like doing that *so* much, you've no idear!!
#76661 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 7:10 PM
AsianML

Re: It begins...

Oh, that's right!! There's a certain speed that the roof can open. I know on the SLK it's like 5 mph, not too sure on that. There is a Vario roof module that will let you raise and lower it at any speed.
#76669 - in reply to #76661
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 8:43 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Also, remember, the switch has to be held continuously to work. 

You have to be deliberately stupid to get in trouble with that..

#76687 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 9:13 PM
AsianML

Marsden - 5/31/2007 8:43 PM

Also, remember, the switch has to be held continuously to work.

You have to be deliberately stupid to get in trouble with that..

That's what I thought. I've been wondering how people were able to take the pictures of the half open top SLKs. I thought they just had good timing.
#76696 - in reply to #76687
Author
Posted 5/31/2007 11:08 PM
iNeon

It's all about the early 107s

280/4-Speed, crystal blue/silver with blue tex/plaid insert, please

Manual windows and air conditioning
#76712 - in reply to #75838
Author
Posted 6/1/2007 6:11 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

^^^ you find one like that, let me know!

Why you want A/C on a convertible anyway?  

#76747 - in reply to #75838
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12