Page 1 of 1 1
Battery Mainteneance FAQ & DIY
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 1:42 AM
storm

Date registered: Dec 1899
Battery Mainteneance FAQ & DIY

(Original post is by Spine911 & Sosh on BW, I do not claim this as my own work)

There is no such thing as a "Maintenance Free" Battery. All batteries requires you to check the electrolyte level every 6 mo. You need to buy a Battery Electrolyte from Kragen/Autozone, just open all the battery cylinder cap/cover CAREFULLY either by prying it with a flat screw driver or easy twist off(Maintenance Free Battery often have a tight cap which needs prying). Fill every cylinder to level-but DO NOT OVERFILL, overflowing of the Electrolyte Acid will cause rusting of metal panels....BTW, Do not use Tap/Bottled drinking water....I have a SEARS Exide("Maintenance Free") battery on my Porsche 996TT for almost 4 yrs now, i doubt it will last that long if i dont top off the electrolytes regularly......"Maintenance Free" Battery, IMO is misleading and should be changed to "Low Maintenance" Battery.
Batteries should be topped off with distilled water. However most people use regular tap water and while not suggested by battery mfg it will work but in the long haul it may shorten the battery life by months at most. I have been told never to add electrolite as it will change the specific gravity of the solution to the point where it will actually eat away the plates faster.Battery life when properly taken care of is about 5 years.
When water or any liquid that is ingested/introduced in the human body it becomes charged ions (either positive or negative)... That is why in Medical terms-liquids like water, normal saline, etc. when introduced IN your system are technically called Electrolites (OUTSIDE the body: water, saline, etc..eyc).........(By comparison): When Distilled Water (Non Acidic) is introduced in a Battery (e.g; Human Body), the water becomes charged ions, and at that time BECOMES an Electrolite(Now-ACIDIC).... That is why Gatorade markets its drink as an Electrolite because they say their drink is an essential INTERNAL body fluid replacement..........Also, ASK ANY Mechanic/Part Dealer and they will verify that the Battery Electrolite they sell IS Distilled Water (Rain water is also Distilled water and can be used in Batteries)
You can also use the frost which accumulates in your freezer (as long as there are no contaminants) since it is distilled water as well, but obviously with modern design freezers that doesn't happen any more.
Go ask your local PEP Boys/Autozone to test the battery amperage when you buy the Distilled Water. They do it for Free, they can test the Battery and Alternator at the same time. Now, that is sound charging system maintenance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1