Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

Page 1 of 1 1
HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/18/2007 11:49 PM
PPepper

Date registered: Dec 1899
HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

Im looking around for my first car and I came across a 1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430. About 10 grand, perfect tan leather interior. But, it has 120,000 miles on it. Now, I like the car a lot, of course, but my parents are a little bit partial on it because of the mileage, yet, I heard that Mercedes' can handle that amount of mileage and that's not so bad for a Mercedes. Is this true?

Also, would I start having problems with the vehicle because of the 120,000 miles or would it take a lot more for me to start having problems from the mileage?

I just need to know because I can just about afford the car and I without a doubt cannot have problems from the high mileage that carries on the repairs with the hefty price tags.

Thank you for reading!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/19/2007 12:34 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
RE: HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

Mercedes are durable cars and tend to last a very long time.

However, those of recent vintage are complex machines, particularly with regard to electronics, and can be troublesome.  120K miles is also enough miles that there can be many maintenance items needing attention.  A lot depends on how well the car was cared for over its life.  It's also worth noting that Mercedes service tends to be costly.

Frankly, if avoiding expenses is a primary goal, the money would be better spent on a much more recent Toyota or Honda.  They wouldn't be as much fun but they will probably be more dependable.  Probably not what you want to hear, but there it is

#79351 - in reply to #79350
Author
Posted 6/19/2007 9:47 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

My ML430 has 172,000 miles on it and it runs superb! That said, Marsden is right about the maintenance thing. You can buy this car and it be a dog. These early ML's were a hit and miss on quality and while mine has original engine and tranny, there are just as many or more that don't. I think 10k is WAY too much to pay. You can pick up a 99 ML430 with that many miles for between $6,500 to $8,000. I gave $14,250 for mine nearly 4 years ago with 90+k on it. It has not been without trouble but I've been quite lucky compared to others. I take extremely good care of it.

These are the issues you need to consider on this vehicle:

1. Transmission service, if not performed, is well overdue. Do not believe this 'sealed for life' crap. They do need fluid and filter changes about every 60k miles or so.

2. Cooling system will need servicing as well, if not already done.

3. Mass Air Flow sensors are bad to crap out ($260.00 part and 5 min. of your time) as well as Crank Position Sensors and EGR valves.

4. Fuel Filter AND modified fuel lines kit will have to be done if not already performed. The 'old' fuel filter isn't available and you will have to spend $75.00 for the line kit and the labor to install. Clogged fuel filters will burn up your fuel pump.

5. If you have a panoramic roof, they are troublesome as well. They almost always eventually jam and repairs are expensive, if parts are available.

6. Recall items such as the power steering hose and harmonic balancer should have already been done.

You can check to see if the dealer performed all these services by requesting a Vehicle Master Inquiry. A dealer who wants your service business will do this free of charge.

Hope this helps! 

#79395 - in reply to #79350
Author
Posted 6/19/2007 10:38 AM
PPepper

Re: HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

Wow that's great help.
Thank you both very much.

I'm hearing that 10k is a lot for the vehicle, actually, it's a little bit over 10k.

I gotta avoid those big cost repairs.
#79398 - in reply to #79350
Author
Posted 6/26/2007 4:17 PM
AndrewAZ

Re: HELP!! How bad is HIGH MILEAGE on Mercedes-Benz?!

When I had my ML's one a 00 ML320 the other a 02 Ml 320. the 00 was sold with a tad over 55k miles on it and the 02 was sold with a tad under 40k. Cost per each car was about $1200-2,000 a year to keep running. I had problems from power steering, fuel pump, A/C ect, usually I would I have 1 big problem a year that cost about $1k plus the usual $200 for oil and fluid changes.

I personally would avoid the ML at all costs especially with the transmission issues caused by the " sealed for life" fluid.
#80334 - in reply to #79350
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1