Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W210 E Class : 2000 e320 wagon starting and stalling problems

Page 1 of 1 1
2000 e320 wagon starting and stalling problems
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/9/2007 10:50 PM
kgcarbon

Date registered: Dec 1899
2000 e320 wagon starting and stalling problems

hello all,

My 2000 e320 wagon (85,000 miles) has been doing the following...

At first she wouldn't re-start after achieving normal operating tempature on a quick trip. If you let her cool off then she would start again. Then she started randomly dying at stop lights in addition to the above. In this situation, she would start again, but caused me great anguish as I would be tying up traffic! I have had new spark plugs and fuel filter installed. Now the independent tech (who has been very honest in past dealings) thinks she has a bad main computing unit. He tried a new fuel pump relay and it did not correct the problem. He claims that the computer is shutting down the ground to the fuel pump (not allowing it to prime correctly) and cuts off spark also. He thinks the computer malfunction is age and heat related and found a service bulletin from Mercedes that backs up his thinking. Other posts on this forum have indicated a bad crank position sensor. The tech said he checked for that and it appears good. If the computer is bad, do you have any suggestions for a rebuilt unit that would be programmed correctly? Could buying a used computer off of ebay for $200.00 work? Also, are there any relays he might be missing that effect fuel pump and spark.

Thanks in advance . This is a great forum.

By the way, I always refer to the car as a she, because my daughter has named her SilverRose.

kevin Graham
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/10/2007 4:47 PM
storm

Re: 2000 e320 wagon starting and stalling problems

contrary to popular belief, you CAN switch the "computers". just go to your local scrap yard and find a module from similar E320 (make sure it is a 2000 model).

hopefully it is not your Air flow sensor, but i'd suggest you get it checked before you splurge on a new brain for your ride.
#81770 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/10/2007 6:49 PM
kgcarbon

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on the air flow sensor? Is it more difficult and expensive to fix then a computer?

Thanks
#81784 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/11/2007 9:08 PM
storm

the air flow sensor (if dirty) is a cheap and quick fix, but if it is damaged or worn out (which does happen) it should cost around $300 if i recall correctly (members please correct me if i am wrong). the computer is around $2500 if memory serves correctly.

one thing you should note is that the air flow sensor WILL fail one day so it's going to have to be replaced some time soon since you have souch high miles on the car now.
#81926 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/11/2007 11:42 PM
kgcarbon

Thanks for the air flow info. By the way, I found a used computer for $200 I'm going to give it a shot before i flip for a new one.
#81945 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 4:30 PM
storm

DAYYUM!! that's a good deal, good luck and let us know what happens with the 2nd hand brain.
#82240 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/19/2007 5:20 AM
kgcarbon

Well everyone here is how the saga ended. There are some lessons to be learned from this one. As I mentioned earlier, I bought a used brain for $200. The selller of the brain claimed it would work for a whole series of models which on paper is correct. However, my local tech could not get it to work with my particular model. So, when buying a used brain, it really would be best to have it come out of the same year and same model. Ironically while the brain was removed, the tech examined some wires located underneath the brain. He noticed the slightest bit of wear on some of this wiring. Once the car was heated up, the wires were shorting out! This was making the fuel pump not prime correctly and cuttting off spark. He mended the wires and the car runs perfect with the original brain. So if you are experiencing heat related problems that appear to be brain related pull the brain and check the wiring underenath before buying that brain. I lucked out on this one.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas!
#82935 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/20/2007 8:51 PM
storm

glad to hear that your car is now runing fine, sorry that none of our ideas helped out much in the end but glad to know that your mechanic found the problem.
#83131 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 7/21/2007 12:19 AM
kgcarbon

on the contrary, because of your ideas and suggestions i was well informd about what the possible problems could be, so my mechanic knew there could be no monkey business when dealing with me.

Thnaks again-

#83140 - in reply to #81686
Author
Posted 8/7/2007 6:03 AM
storm

glad to know i was of (little) help
#84939 - in reply to #81686
« View previous thread :: View next thread »