Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : 1985 300TD Cliamte Control ???

Page 1 of 1 1
1985 300TD Cliamte Control ???
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/13/2007 5:17 PM
chad300tdt

Date registered: Dec 1899
1985 300TD Cliamte Control ???

I have a 1985 300td turbo. The climate control isn't operational and I want to take it to a shop to fix it. I know if I jump the low pressure switch, the compressor kicks on. I also believe the monovalve is shot as it blows the same no matter what setting it's on. I am pretty sure the push button controller is OK. That is all the info I have since I am not qualified to fix this system.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this with a shop? Should I convert to the new freon or try to have it fixed with the original freon? How much should I expect to pay in a worst case scenario? Are there any ripoff or lack of knowledge issues I should look out for when dealing with a shop?

Any help would be appreciated. I searched the forums already and couldn't find anything appropriate to my situation.

Thanks,
Chad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 5:54 AM
Nino

RE: 1985 300TD Cliamte Control ???

The CC is a routine problem. I pulled mine on an '82, re- soldered failed connections, no change. You can check your mono valve for obvious damage by removing it to see if the rubber part is torn. Unplug, remove four screws, lift out. There is a way to check to see if it's getting current, but that's beyond me. You may want to check to see if the temp sensor is getting accurate readings by finding out if the foam tube located behind the glove box has deteriorated. What other symptoms are you having? Does your fan work when on EC, high only? I can't help with any cost answers, but with many aspects of these cars, understanding WHERE the problem is, whether or not it's being told to turn on, needs to be found out before you start throwing money at it.
#82203 - in reply to #82144
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 7:59 AM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350
Re: 1985 300TD Cliamte Control ???

Many times it's the monovalve. It is certainly the cheapest to fix!
#82207 - in reply to #82144
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 8:21 AM
chad300tdt

I jumped the low pressure switch and the compressor came on which to me indicates a leak somewhere in the system. I know that the monovalve is for heat and I'm sure it is bad since heat trickles out of the vents all the time. The push button controller doesn't make any difference other than blower on full blast or off with a slight trickle no matter where the dial is. I would like to know what to expect to pay to have the system repaired and what I should keep in mind when talking with the shop. I don't think I will attempt to fix this myself since I don't know how to detect the leak or leaks and I have no way of establishing pressure in the system.

My local dealer shop charges $60 per hour for labor, but won't tell me a ballpark figure to fix the KLIMA. I want to know the worst case scenario so I can save up for it before having a shop start the work.

Based on what I have found out so far, I believe I am looking at paying $1,500 on the high side. Does this sound accurate?

Anyone know of a good indy shop in Montgomery or Bucks counties in PA?
#82208 - in reply to #82144
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 5:39 PM
Nino

You have the same symptoms as the one I pulled out re did etc. I replaced the mono valve first, no change. $1500 sounds like a lot of cash, get a warranty. For around $300 you can get a rebuilt CCU. After which you may need to spend some more for A/C. Go with original freon if possible.
#82250 - in reply to #82144
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1