Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class : Car Broke Down!?! HELP!?!

Page 1 of 2 12
Car Broke Down!?! HELP!?!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 1:45 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 78' MB 300D 87 Chief Cherokee
Car Broke Down!?! HELP!?!

Whats is wrong with me!!! Why does this car keep on having problems! Well yesturday I was driving on my way to Mcdonalds to pick up something from work, once my car reached a red light I slowed down of coarse, then I here this crushing noise, like a sound of a tin can being run over. Then my whole engine just shut off, I pulled over to the side, asked my friend to help me push the car even more so we dont interfere with traffic. I open up the hood of the car to see if anything is broken or exploded, I ask my friend to go search the road to see if anything fell off. Though everything seemed fine, I try starting up my car, but I only here click, and nothing happend. My battery was good, so I suspect its my Starter. I call my stepdad and he came over as soon as possible. Here brought these things that hooked up to the starter so it can start the car, but nothing happend, the starter wasn't turning over the engine. So my step dad said it has to be the starter, but how does it shut off my car while running, he said maybe the flywheel has a dead spot and my car got caught in that dead spot and shut off??? My step dad told me a lot of possibilities of why my car shut off, well he said he doesnt know till we bring it to the mechanic. So I called AAA and ask for a Tow, but it took them an Hour, to come. My car is a 1978 (w123) 240D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 2:02 PM
Nutz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
RE: Car Broke Down!?! HELP!?!

Based on your description I'd say you blew the engine up. 

#9035 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 2:23 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

Re: Car Broke Down!?! HELP!?!

?
#9048 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 2:25 PM
Nutz
Expert

She go boom!

#9049 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 2:46 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

?!?!?! No, then tell me how the started died? My car is still in one piece
#9071 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 3:22 PM
Nutz
Expert

<p>The starter may have not died. If you stacked a bearing,threw a rod or ???,the crank will not turn rendering the starter useless.Take the starter out and bench test it and then try to turn the engine on the front pulley.That will determine what is up.</p><p>You also may have a broken timing chain.</p>
#9090 - in reply to #9071
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 5:03 PM
BenzDieselTuner

Date registered: Dec 1899

that sucks ALOT............................:(
#9137 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 8:10 PM
BenzDieselTuner

so, whats new, DB? did u really figure out that its kaput, or do u just need new injectors, etc....?

or is it all a joke?

update please..........
#9217 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 12:09 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

Well I got a lot of replys from this site and BW. A lot of bad news, that is possible to what happend to my car. So tomarow will be the day where my mechanic will tell me whats wrong with my car. Im so dispointed, I love this car so much, when It was first gaven to me. I loved it so much, even if it didnt run. I used to sit in that car for hours, thinkin about how this car will be in my life, thinkin about having this car for so long, that i can pass it to my children in the future. If the engine blew, I can either rebuilt it, or get another engine from another 240D, money at this time is a problem, and time is the most important thing. My step dad said he can rebuilt the engine, he told me he have taken the engine out before, when he was living in florida, he took the engine out to change a transmission seal. This car has been threw a lot, it wasnt a garage queen, like most cars. It was a full time hardworking car it was the most reliable in its life, its now getting old, it has been abandoned for 5 years, denied. Now its a new begining...

Time, money, passion.....
#9302 - in reply to #9217
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 7:49 AM
BenzDieselTuner

sounds like u have ur work cut out for u........
#9374 - in reply to #9302
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 2:04 PM
iNeon

Part the car out, you'll be able to drive your suburban, hundai, 300D, 200sx or 350sd.

This car sounds like a hypocondriac or a money pit, maybe both. At some point, you do have to give up, you know.
#12124 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 2:57 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

iNeon - 5/14/2006 2:04 PM

Part the car out, you'll be able to drive your suburban, hundai, 300D, 200sx or 350sd.

This car sounds like a hypocondriac or a money pit, maybe both. At some point, you do have to give up, you know.

Cars are gone!

Suburban(Sold it to a friend upstae)
Hyundai(Got my money back fromt that asshole)
300D(Totaled)
200sx(borrowed it from my friend, gave it back)
350SD(Shipped out the country by my father)

#12132 - in reply to #12124
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 5:28 PM
iNeon

So what happened to that crusty turd of a 300D you *just* bought?

That car, BTW... is a complete dog. No engine should look like that, not even on a 30-year-old car! A clean engine is a happy engine!

I couldn't tell you where to begin looking for a problem, but a metallic sound, the car cutting off immediately following said sound and then its refusal to restart CANNOT be good jumping off points.

How, exactly can you justify spending so much money on that dog of a car whenever it refuses to stay fixed?!?! It sounds like you still live at home, so that is a plus that you are allowed extra monies for repairs.. but it is simply ridiculous to have just spent a grand on brakes when the engine was on its last legs!

There is NO REASON for ANY working ADULT to have this many car problems. You either 1) are overtly dramatic and need attention online 2) have a retard as a mechanic or c) don't have any clue as to how a motorcar operates.

Just part the car, scrimp and save... buy a newer model, drive it responsibly and purchase *only* high quality replacement parts. Have those parts installed by someone who is actually qualified to work on a Mercedes-Benz and enjoy the ride. Car ownership is never so tumultuous as you have presented it to be!

Damn.

I mean-- these old guys *are* special cars, but you know... sometimes folks have to cut their losses and let the doctors unplug the machines...
#12154 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 9:59 PM
flyboyike

DB,

Here's your basic problem:  you don't understand the fundamental truth that you get exactly what you pay for with these cars.  The other basic fundamental truth that seems to escape you is that a car will treat you the same way you treat it.  So, let's recap your history:  You've been buying (inheriting, stealing, whatever) a bunch of clunkers and then beating on them mercilessly.  I don't know how to explain to you that a car with 750K on the clock is not a daily driver. NO WAY!  It should be in a museum, it's beyond all reasonable component life expectations.  There is absoultely nothing in that car that's safe to use at that point.

So what's you solution?  You go out and buy another clunker!  Fortunately, that one gets put out of its misery by a van.  Good thing, because it wouldn't have lasted long under you anyway.  You go back to your "tree-quater-million miler" for some more abuse.  You put in in potholes at 45+, scrape things etc etc.  Heck, that would probably kill a car with 75K, never mind 750K.  As it happens, your 240D finally seems to have called it quits.  I doubt that being owned by you was a big help.

Your next step?  You guessed it, another heap of scrap!  201K, a "rebuilt" motor that looks like it has 2.01M miles on it, rust everywhere, interior shot.  Tell me this: what are you hoping to accomplish here?  Redo the interior and body on a car that's probably hardly woth a brake job? What for?  Only because it's a W123?  I love them too, trust me, but Dear God!  Some of them (maybe even most of them) are too far gone by now, it's economically not cost-effective to revive them, it's a waste of time and money.

What you will eventually figure out is that you need to save your money and buy something decent.  This way you'll finally see how a good car should feel and drive and how to keep it that way. You can't learn anything with a car that's constantly falling apart, because you don't have a good baseline of what should be happening. I know they seem expensive, but it's really not that much more than spending $1000-1500 on a car every 6 months plus all the repairs you've had to do.  Save up some money and pick yourself up something nice and then treat it well.  It will be a lot easier on you in the long run, believe you me.  It will also be a lot easier on all of us.

May I recommend this fine automobile?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Mercedes-300-CD-Diesel-2DR-Green-Dark-Tan_W0QQitemZ300000016088QQcategoryZ6330QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#12298 - in reply to #9020
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 10:23 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

I do not abuse cars? What made you think that? Roads in New York are in Horrible condition. You sound like you hate me because im a car killer, and just wastin' my time on these stupid high millege crap w123s, you tell me to not fix them up and just leave them alone to people who have time for them. People who care much more for them then I do? Listen im not spending 10 grand on a w123. Those cars worth that much should be in a musem, because those the ones are in perfect condition. Plus my job with me is to uptight, I dont have time to fly to florida and look at this w123, if I could to that, I would of bought a realy nice w123 a very long time ago. I've been searching a lot around the web for a decent w123 close by where I live, and by god I found one finally. Im gona purchase this 1978 300D for a cheap price, and trust me if I had to spend 10 grand to fix it up to bring it like new, I rather do that, then just buy some 10 grand car. Im gona teach myself to do engine work ont his car, how to fix things in these cars. I wana learn, so I teach my self.

Hell I ain't spending on 10grand for a w123... I rather buy a new car with that kind of money.

I like the challenge for buying a cheap w123...
#12316 - in reply to #12298
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 11:15 PM
flyboyike

Dieselburns - 5/14/2006 9:23 PM I do not abuse cars? What made you think that? Roads in New York are in Horrible condition. You sound like you hate me because im a car killer, and just wastin' my time on these stupid high millege crap w123s, you tell me to not fix them up and just leave them alone to people who have time for them. People who care much more for them then I do? Listen im not spending 10 grand on a w123. Those cars worth that much should be in a musem, because those the ones are in perfect condition. Plus my job with me is to uptight, I dont have time to fly to florida and look at this w123, if I could to that, I would of bought a realy nice w123 a very long time ago. I've been searching a lot around the web for a decent w123 close by where I live, and by god I found one finally. Im gona purchase this 1978 300D for a cheap price, and trust me if I had to spend 10 grand to fix it up to bring it like new, I rather do that, then just buy some 10 grand car. Im gona teach myself to do engine work ont his car, how to fix things in these cars. I wana learn, so I teach my self. Hell I ain't spending on 10grand for a w123... I rather buy a new car with that kind of money. I like the challenge for buying a cheap w123...

I rest my case.  But, just out of curiosity, what's wrong with this one in Hewlett, NY?  You don't gotta fly there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-240-DIESEL-ONE-OWNER-SUPER-LOW-MILES-GAS-SAVER_W0QQitemZ4639874021QQcategoryZ6315QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#12345 - in reply to #12316
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 11:35 PM
Nutz
Expert

Heres my thing,you won the bid on eBay so aren't you obligated to buy it anyways? Please explain.
#12357 - in reply to #12345
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 12:16 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

I just saw that one. The other car auction ended before that car came to auction. Its too late, I ready made my deal with the 1978 300D.

Hopefully I get my 240D back this week, also hope theres no engine problems.
#12383 - in reply to #12345
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 12:19 AM
Dieselburns
Expert

Nutz - 5/14/2006 11:35 PM

Heres my thing,you won the bid on eBay so aren't you obligated to buy it anyways? Please explain.

Well once you bid for a car and won the autcion, you realy just bought the car. . . Simple as that, then you and the seller can talk about, when seeing the car, and when your gona pay for the car, etc........
#12385 - in reply to #12357
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 1:37 AM
Nutz
Expert

Yeah,I read your feedback on eBay..........deadbeat
#12392 - in reply to #9020
« View previous thread :: View next thread »