Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : Mercedes-Benz Diesels : FRUSTRATED WITH MY DIESEL

Page 1 of 1 1
FRUSTRATED WITH MY DIESEL
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/6/2007 9:04 PM
beeturbo

Date registered: Dec 1899
FRUSTRATED WITH MY DIESEL

any body please help im stuck driving my dads old ford van and i swear the mileage is bout 7 mpg lol! Ive got a problem with
my 87 300SDL; I dumped 1/2 qt of trans fluid n2 the tank to clean the pump and injector nozzles of carbon; 2 days later on a 20mile drive to work at about 65mph i accelerated to pass a car and when approaching about 75mph i could feel the engine surge as if the power was kinda cutting in and out .. so that evening i changed the little clear primary fuel filter and the secondary fuel filter that looks like an oil filter. i also have been noticing the black residue on the driver side of the engine leaking from the turbo discharge pipe that runs from the turbo to the intake plenum; so i removed the discharge pipe and cleaned all of the carbon and gunky build up from inside the pipe and care fully made a gasket with gasket paperand sealed it with a little rtv copper..the car ran the same though no more residue after cleaning the enginewith a litle simple green and water..a couple days later the car strted becommin sluggish when theres a hell in my area that i go up normally without a problem . last time i drove it i could barely make 20mph i mean it creeped and when i tried to press further on the accellerator it only kiks out a small continous cloud of black smoke untill i back off the pedal it stops smoking but doesnt increase speed.. when on level ground it will gradually pick up speed but any time u press more than half way wit the pedal it throws black smoke out the tail pipe. i then removed the air cleaner box thee was no obstruction and it has a new k&n filter in the air box, i checked the turbo inserting my hand in the compressor inlet and the turbine spins freely without binding or seizing , no end play or wobbling in the shaft i then removed what looks like an air flow meter of some sort , its a box thats connected between the air filter housing and the compressor inlet of the turbo , the box has a moving door flap inside and what appears to be an air chg temp sensor in the far end of it .. thinking that could have been the problem i took the meter apart and wired the door 2 stay open and disconnected the 4 wire conector, it still idle purfect thers no skip ,if i leave it in park i can rev it 3k-4k rpm's every now and then it hesitates while as the rpms climp but gets to 4 grand every time but when u put it in drive and take off if like it has no power. i was reading in this forun after reading the owners manual and it states that mercedes recommend not using any additives in the fuel tank which can leed to damage to the trap oxidizer , which i think is the exhaust device that resembles a catalytic converter.. i wondered if it was the problem but i ran the car at 3000 rpms for about 10minutes at night and looked under the car and it didnt glow red. i called mercedes and had the vin# checked and they told me that the trap oxidizer was replaced at 166,000 miles... the car now has 284,000 miles on it.. i dont know the cars history but i will say i believe the turbo is nearly new as well because the compressor housing isnt oily the heat shield and manifold gasket looks fairly recent without the rust and discoloration and the cnenter housing of the turbo isnt rusty from age or heatand also i noticed like most turbos as they age the whistling sound kinda gets louder and more pronounced as the turbo begins to boost , mine is relatively quiet u have to really listen hard .. i plan on going to muffler shop that does alot of my work and have the trap oxidizer removed and str8 pipe installed , now i thinkthe trap oxidizer is the square device down stream from the turbo that looks like a mini cat, but further down stream just b4 the left rear wheel theres another box that might be a pre muffler /resonator but the pipe can be unbolted at this device i might have it removed to but their is still a muffler at the rear of course wit the twin tail pipes .. does anyone have ideas of what can b the problem believe me ive tried all i know so far..oh i almost 4 got i noticed there is an electrical device of some kind that sits under the hood in the driver side against the firewall toward the windshield .it has a round dial on it numbered 1-7 u pull the dial and rotate it to any number and push it back down i noticed the lower u set the number the lower it idles , the higher i set the number the faster the idle speed , it was sitting on 4 so i set it back where it was sitting..again manythanks to whatever feed back every one gives ..1 lat note the injector pump does have a small leak at the seals but its be leakin 4 a while i have the seal kit and washeres to fix it but have to order the special splined socket to remove the plunger/barrles from the pump..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/6/2007 9:18 PM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350
Re: FRUSTRATED WITH MY DIESEL

1. The injector pump is shot.
2. The turbo is worn out.
#88092 - in reply to #88090
Top of the page Bottom of the page