Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Which Goes First: Fron or Rear Pads???

Page 1 of 1 1
Which Goes First: Fron or Rear Pads???
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:12 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Which Goes First: Fron or Rear Pads???

Posted this in other forums but need as much data as I can get:

Last week I took all four tires off and inspected the brakes on my 500. At 28K, the fronts look like they have another 28K to go. The rears have about half that to go. On my Z with 230K, I'm still on my 2nd set of pads up front -though they'll probably be replaced within the next 10K. The rears have probably been changed at least 6 times. Most experts say the fronts should go first, otherwise something's wrong with the system - thus my question. I have had the Z checked several times, adjusted things here and there, especially the parking brakes. I have had the 500 checked once, gone through one A and one B service and no tech has told me there's an issue with the brakes. My driving is predominantly highway, with minimal or nor BAS/ABS application (i.e., practically no snow, ice or anything that'll activate ABS/BAS without direct pedal stomping) and that may have something to do with it. What's your experience. If I knew how to poll here, I'd attach a poll. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:15 PM
AsianML

Re: Which Goes First: Fron or Rear Pads???

Maybe EBD has something to do with it.
#42570 - in reply to #42569
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:19 PM
Darkmann

AsianML - 9/1/2006 9:15 PM

Maybe EBD has something to do with it.

Would that be Edible Brake Dust? That stuff can kill you. And, BTW, I never spotted the MLs in the Mybach video. I was drooling at something else!!!
#42571 - in reply to #42570
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:24 PM
AsianML

Darkmann - 9/1/2006 9:19 PM
AsianML - 9/1/2006 9:15 PM Maybe EBD has something to do with it.
Would that be Edible Brake Dust? That stuff can kill you. And, BTW, I never spotted the MLs in the Mybach video. I was drooling at something else!!!
^^^

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution I think is what EBD stands for. Something about keeping even wear between the pads, and when stopping it varies the brake force between the two rear wheels to keep it in a straight line as you stop.....It's in the manual.

Edited by AsianML 9/1/2006 9:25 PM
#42573 - in reply to #42571
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 5:44 AM
Marcelc

RE: Which Goes First: Fron or Rear Pads???

Darkmann - 9/2/2006 2:12 AM

Posted this in other forums but need as much data as I can get:

Last week I took all four tires off and inspected the brakes on my 500. At 28K, the fronts look like they have another 28K to go. The rears have about half that to go. On my Z with 230K, I'm still on my 2nd set of pads up front -though they'll probably be replaced within the next 10K. The rears have probably been changed at least 6 times. Most experts say the fronts should go first, otherwise something's wrong with the system - thus my question. I have had the Z checked several times, adjusted things here and there, especially the parking brakes. I have had the 500 checked once, gone through one A and one B service and no tech has told me there's an issue with the brakes. My driving is predominantly highway, with minimal or nor BAS/ABS application (i.e., practically no snow, ice or anything that'll activate ABS/BAS without direct pedal stomping) and that may have something to do with it. What's your experience. If I knew how to poll here, I'd attach a poll. Thanks.

The rear pads last about half the life of the front pads on mine, I replaced the rear pads at 20K miles and 40Kmiles at which time the rear rotors also needed replacing, the front pads lasted about 40K miles and I replaced the front rotors at the same time.

This is the first vehicle I have owned where the rear brakes wore faster than the front, but it may be because the rear pads are so much smaller.

#42624 - in reply to #42569
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 4:29 PM
embee

Could the rear pads be wearing out from ets/esp mechanism? They're always working even when you don't use the brakes.
#42678 - in reply to #42569
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 11:57 PM
Darkmann

embee - 9/2/2006 4:29 PM

Could the rear pads be wearing out from ets/esp mechanism? They're always working even when you don't use the brakes.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, in my case, ETS/ESP would rarely come on - no slippery pavement, predominantly highway, and I don't recall smashing on the brake often to activate ABS.
#42730 - in reply to #42678
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 4:21 AM
embee

I thought ets/eps are always working silently, and the warning light only comes on, when you're actually slipping? With my foot off the brake pedal, I definitely feel the brakes grabbing when I make sharp turns. Don't they apply brakes to compensate over/understeer? I guess it doesn't really matter if you drive straight most of the time.
#42794 - in reply to #42569
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 8:59 AM
bigcatny

at least 2 front pads per each set of rear pads. I don't have ets/ebd stuff on mine.(and never been in any situation where it would be needed)

#42808 - in reply to #42569
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 12:32 PM
Wolfgang

bigcatny - 9/3/2006 5:59 AM

at least 2 front pads per each set of rear pads. I don't have ets/ebd stuff on mine.(and never been in any situation where it would be needed)

The 98s have electronic brake proportioning (EBP) and 4ETS. Here's how MBUSA's website looked in 1998

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/mbusa_1998.html

#42823 - in reply to #42808
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1