Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Would someone please enlighten me...........

Page 1 of 1 1
Would someone please enlighten me...........
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/15/2006 9:55 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350
Would someone please enlighten me...........

l was going to have the OEM VES installed in my 02 M-Class, which l had purchased last year, and with the help of Peter, l was able to pick up the OEM DVD player as well...so it was to be done on Monday.....l receive a call about an hour later, stating the amount needed to install this unit was between 15-17 hours at $100.00 an hour...."ARE YOU KIDDING ME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Did they just not want to do the job or what ??????????????l guess l'll be looking at portable DVD players!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 7:59 AM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Would someone please enlighten me...........

C, where on earth did you go? Man, that's crazy
#38515 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 11:09 AM
rudeney

I would not bother with and overhead screen.  I had one in my ML (an aftermarket Sony), and while it worked well, it was a PITA.  When open, it blocked my view, and whenever my wife went to reach into the back seat to deal with the granddaughter, she’d smack it.  It also took me quite a bit of work the get it to not rattle.

I would strongly suggest headrest mounted screens.  You don’t even have to replace or cut the headrests; there are some pretty decent mounting brackets you can buy that attach to the headrest stanchions.  Another alternative is to use a floor-mounted gooseneck and place the screen behind the center console (mimicking the VES setup in the W164).

As for the DVD player itself, get one that a screen and player combo.  I bought one from an eBay seller that has an 8-inch screen plus it has a built-in Nintendo 8-bit game emulator and a disc with 300 games.  I’m going to use a headrest bracket to install it in the new BMW X3 (it’s headrests are too small for built-in monitors).

#38540 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 1:45 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

phoenix44 - 8/16/2006 7:59 AM

C, where on earth did you go? Man, that's crazy :ahhh:

Hey "P"......That lovely time quote was from the "stealership"....
#38556 - in reply to #38515
Author
Posted 8/16/2006 1:46 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

rudeney - 8/16/2006 11:09 AM

I would not bother with and overhead screen.  I had one in my ML (an aftermarket Sony), and while it worked well, it was a PITA.  When open, it blocked my view, and whenever my wife went to reach into the back seat to deal with the granddaughter, she’d smack it.  It also took me quite a bit of work the get it to not rattle.

I would strongly suggest headrest mounted screens.  You don’t even have to replace or cut the headrests; there are some pretty decent mounting brackets you can buy that attach to the headrest stanchions.  Another alternative is to use a floor-mounted gooseneck and place the screen behind the center console (mimicking the VES setup in the W164).

As for the DVD player itself, get one that a screen and player combo.  I bought one from an eBay seller that has an 8-inch screen plus it has a built-in Nintendo 8-bit game emulator and a disc with 300 games.  I’m going to use a headrest bracket to install it in the new BMW X3 (it’s headrests are too small for built-in monitors).

Thanks "R".........your info is always much appreciated...........
#38558 - in reply to #38540
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 11:35 PM
Darkmann

C-Rod - 8/16/2006 1:46 PM

rudeney - 8/16/2006 11:09 AM

I would not bother with and overhead screen. I had one in my ML (an aftermarket Sony), and while it worked well, it was a PITA. When open, it blocked my view, and whenever my wife went to reach into the back seat to deal with the granddaughter, she’d smack it. It also took me quite a bit of work the get it to not rattle.

I would strongly suggest headrest mounted screens. You don’t even have to replace or cut the headrests; there are some pretty decent mounting brackets you can buy that attach to the headrest stanchions. Another alternative is to use a floor-mounted gooseneck and place the screen behind the center console (mimicking the VES setup in the W164).

As for the DVD player itself, get one that a screen and player combo. I bought one from an eBay seller that has an 8-inch screen plus it has a built-in Nintendo 8-bit game emulator and a disc with 300 games. I’m going to use a headrest bracket to install it in the new BMW X3 (it’s headrests are too small for built-in monitors).

Thanks "R".........your info is always much appreciated........... :biggrin:

C I totally agree with R. I had the OEM on my 320 (I did the install myself and it was pretty straight forward) and when I got the 500, I said never. It worked very well for my 3 kids but like R pointed out, the screen is always in the way, though mine never rattled. For the 500, I decided on a portable DVD unit that just simply hangs between the headrests. Everyone is happy, and frankly, with their iPods and other toys, they don't even use the darn thing anymore. Since you've already purchased the unit, if you really have to install it, DIY. It's really straightforward. You will need the adapter for 02+ model years. Did you get it? Amd between Peter, myself and a few others who have done it, you're in good hands. I have the complete WIS for 02+ or you can get it from Potomac (I believe Pete has it on his page also).
#38940 - in reply to #38558
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 4:35 PM
pleubner

Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

C-ROD ... the problem is doing it for the first time ..... should be about 5 hours for MB ......

I took 6 hours !..... If I had to do it again 3 hours!......  The instructions say to take the headliner out (total bullshit) . YOu only need to take off  the passenger side top pieces (rubber seal, handles, inside light) .... then run the cable from behind the front passenger side glovebox, up the A-Pillar, under the headliner alongside the edge of the door opening to the pillar , then feed it though to the hole you cut behind the sunroof.

The point is if someone already did it in your area ... you would be in business in MAX 4 hours!......

#39964 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 5:30 PM
rudeney

pleubner - 8/21/2006 3:35 PM

C-ROD ... the problem is doing it for the first time ..... should be about 5 hours for MB ......

I took 6 hours !..... If I had to do it again 3 hours!...... The instructions say to take the headliner out (total bullshit) . YOu only need to take off the passenger side top pieces (rubber seal, handles, inside light) .... then run the cable from behind the front passenger side glovebox, up the A-Pillar, under the headliner alongside the edge of the door opening to the pillar , then feed it though to the hole you cut behind the sunroof.s!......

THis might help, too:  http://mercedesml.info/sunroof/index.htm 

#39994 - in reply to #39964
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 9:03 PM
Darkmann

pleubner - 8/21/2006 4:35 PM

I took 6 hours !..... If I had to do it again 3 hours!...... The instructions say to take the headliner out (total bullshit) . YOu only need to take off the passenger side top pieces (rubber seal, handles, inside light) .... then run the cable from behind the front passenger side glovebox, up the A-Pillar, under the headliner alongside the edge of the door opening to the pillar , then feed it though to the hole you cut behind the sunroof.

The point is if someone already did it in your area ... you would be in business in MAX 4 hours!......

Agreed. Not more than 4Hrs if you don't take out the entire headliner. When I did my install, I only took out the passenger side headliner like pleubner pointed out and it really didn't take that much time at all. I ran into one issue you have to watch out for: I didn't disconnect the -ve battery terminal and somehow managed to short out the rear blower motor. had to take the truck in for repair - fortunately, it was considered warranty item. The scarriest part is cutting the headliner - check and double check and tripple check to make sure the template is in the right orientation and size. I also had to replace the A-pillar trim - just didn't fit as well after I pried out card. Have fun.
#40077 - in reply to #39964
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 12:45 PM
pleubner

maybe we should post a the plate to show that the slits should be used to mark the outside perimiter of the hole , and not the size of the plate.

... let's see if I can find a big enough pic!....

#40436 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 12:49 PM
pleubner

(cuttout - 00.jpg)

(cuttout - 01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cuttout - 00.jpg (40KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments cuttout - 01.jpg (44KB - 3 downloads)
#40437 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 9/18/2006 11:48 PM
Wolfgang

Here's another option:

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/rrehemo.html
#45237 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 4:58 AM
C-Rod
Veteran

l ended up going the route of a portable DVD player..l purchased a Panasonic 9 inch DVD player, part number DVD-LS91...lt was wonderful having it for my son and wife, when we travelled to Mrtyle Beach and then New York.......l would have loved the OEM system, and didn't mind 5-6 hours labour...but not that much!!!!!
#45256 - in reply to #38456
Author
Posted 9/19/2006 12:12 PM
rudeney

C-Rod - 9/19/2006 3:58 AM l ended up going the route of a portable DVD player..l purchased a Panasonic 9 inch DVD player, part number DVD-LS91...lt was wonderful having it for my son and wife, when we travelled to Mrtyle Beach and then New York.......l would have loved the OEM system, and didn't mind 5-6 hours labour...but not that much!!!!! :cool:

I put a portable in the X3.  Because of the giant sunroof, a ceiling mount was not an option.  BMW offers their headrest mounted dual screen system for about $2K plus dealer installation, but the DVD player takes up the entire center console storage bin.  I looked at aftermarket headrest screen, but they all omit the headrest tilt feature, which I cannot give up.

I bought this:

DVD PLAYER ON EBAY  

And then this:

HEADREST MOUNTING BRACKET

The bracket is made for a universal slide mount LCD screen, but the “slide” part screws off to reveal a threaded post (like a standard threaded tripod mount for a camera).  It was slightly larger than the mounting hole on the back of the DVD player, so I used a tap to enlarge it.  The player is heavy enough that its bottom edge needs to rest gently on the seatback to stabilize it, but otherwise, it’s a great setup, and easily removable for storage or use in other vehicles.  It looks more professional than those strap-on screens, too.

#45280 - in reply to #45256
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1