Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : FYI on Plus Sizing and Tire Pressure

Page 1 of 1 1
FYI on Plus Sizing and Tire Pressure
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/6/2006 1:19 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
FYI on Plus Sizing and Tire Pressure

Posted this on other site, quite interesting and important also:

The question was what pressure to inflate when one deviates from OEM tire/rim size, in my case, from 17 to 19 inches. Since I have Contis on mine I worked with Continental tires on this. Actually, if you go to their web site and search, there's a publication on plus sizing - very useful. However, that publication didn't quite answer my question. So I registered and posed the Q to their techs. After almost a month, I finally got my answers yesterday. In my case, 05 ML500, loaded with 3rd row, from OEM 275/55/17 to aftermarket 285/45/19, 36psi all around for standard load and 42psi for xtra load. With this pressure, each tire will safely hold up to 2,149lb.

The information I supplied them included wheel axle weights (printed on the tire placard) since this is vehicle specific. What's rather interesting is that the compute these pressures based on the capacity of the tire to carry load safely, given the tire's load rating. I suggest if you're curious, log into their site. No other major manufacturer I visited seems to have the amount of information I could get from the Conti site.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/6/2006 4:11 PM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: FYI on Plus Sizing and Tire Pressure

Thanks for the tip Darkman! I think it will be very useful to lot's of people!!
#43320 - in reply to #43300
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1