Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : How to/best way to offroad with an ML320?

Page 1 of 1 1
How to/best way to offroad with an ML320?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 5:01 PM
Benzlova

Date registered: Dec 1899
How to/best way to offroad with an ML320?

Hey guys im kinda new to using offroading on the ML320. The other day I drove my ML320 through a Area for 4X4 trucks on a beach, I put the car in low range and drove through it but was nervous my truck would get stuck in the sand. I drove through it pretty much but engine works alot offroad through heavy sand, is that normal? I saw a Nissan Xterra drive through it like nothing, is the ML the same way if I wasn't so cautious? Sorry if I sound silly but its my first time and I don't want to do anything stupid with my truck, but wanted to get a taste of its features. Any tips and info on a safe and proper way to offroad?

PS: When off road I hear squeeks when using force to plow through heavy sand, is that normal (on low range) and what is Low range for anyway? I never got a manual for my car when I bought it used.

----------------
2002 Mercedes ML320, with stock tires and rims.

Edited by Benzlova 8/23/2006 5:06 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 5:44 PM
Marcelc

RE: How to/best way to offroad with an ML320?

Good questions, please read the following:

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/index.html?28,38
http://passengercars.mercedes-benz.co.za/FeatureSites/M-classOffroa...

Remember to switch off your ESP in low range on loose surfaces to stop engine power being dropped if your wheels spin as wheel spin may be necessary to move on loose surfaces (stones, mud, sand, etc.).

Always engage low range BEFORE you encounter a serious obstacle, for example crossing loose river beds, mud or steep hills, etc. as restarting may be impossible whilst traversing the obstacle.

There is not a whole lot of information in the manual about off-road driving other than stating the fording depth is 500mm (about knee height) and that you should walk through water first to be sure of the depth, engine damage will result if the water is too deep.

There are some very good articles on ABS and ESP on: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/ it is good to understand how these are setup and how these work whilst driving off-road.
#40488 - in reply to #40474
Author
Posted 8/23/2006 8:44 PM
embee

RE: How to/best way to offroad with an ML320?

Driving in low range will give you the impression that your truck is being overworked. If you're not stuck or climb/descending hills, you should be ok without low range. just as mentioned, turn the esp off.
#40558 - in reply to #40474
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1