Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Page 1 of 1 1
Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 5:06 PM
Benzlova

Date registered: Dec 1899
Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Today my retarded friend spilt gas in my truck while I was nice enough to let him tag along and fill it up for his jetski. He left the cap open and now as a drove off I smell REAL strong gas from my car, I pull over to find out he spilt bout a gallon of gasoline in my trunk. I CANT GET HE SMELL TO GO AWAY!!!

Tried this:

1) Soap and Water
2) Car Fabric Cleaner
3) Fabreeze
4) Vinegar (To kill the smell)
5) Vacuum to drain the water + Dried it down with towel
6) Left the car to open for it to evaporate (All doors open + Windows + Sunroof + 3rd row windows + Trunk)

Will I get my car smell back? Will the car smell normal? What do you recommend? (Smell horrible, you can smell it 20 ft away from the car!!!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 10:05 PM
Roch207
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD
Re: Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Is your friend really retarded? I'd like to see some video of him jetskiing.

Found these suggestions:

I have used sliced potatoes. For some reason they soak up the smell. It works every time I get gas for the lawnmower and it spills on the carpet in my car. I have also heard that kitty litter will do the same thing. Hope this helps. Vickie

I'm willing to bet that the reason you can't get the smell out is that the petroleum product has soaked farther into the padding and upholstery than you have successfully cleaned. Water won't do it, because you're working with an oil and need to use something that is a grease dissolver. My grandfather (the mechanic) used this: Soak the area thoroughly with a mixture of 1-2 cups plain white vinegar mixed in 1 gallon warm as you can stand water, then use lots of clean white towels and a brick, clamp or something else to add weight (your own tired arms will do, too) to wick out all of the petroleum and water solution. Follow with a rinse of warm water mixed with baking soda (1 1/2 cups per gallon), then again wick out until as dry as you can get it. You will probably be best served to use something warm to dry the rest of the upholstery, so it doesn't mildew. Kamia
#42991 - in reply to #42943
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 10:27 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Try Baking soda, applied directly to the carpet, tho a 50lb bag may be needed! If a fire were to get started, the carbon dioxide would release from the soda smothering the fire.
#42999 - in reply to #42943
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 10:50 PM
Benzlova

Re: Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Best reply Iv have, thank you!!! Gives me hope of not replacing my carpets, again thank you!!!!
#43008 - in reply to #42943
Author
Posted 9/5/2006 6:36 AM
embee

RE: Spilled gas in my Trunk, HELP!

Go spill some gas in your firend's car, and light it on fire!
#43071 - in reply to #42943
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1