Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Have we ever come to a conclusion?

Page 1 of 1 1
Have we ever come to a conclusion?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/7/2007 4:29 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Have we ever come to a conclusion?

As to what this sensor really does? There are a lot of posts about it, but not really one "solid" answer.

I know it's the rain sensor for the wipers, but what purpose does it serve for the MLs that aren't equipped with the rain sensing option?

Edited by AsianML 1/7/2007 4:30 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/7/2007 7:47 PM
Darkmann

Re: Have we ever come to a conclusion?

It serves absolutely no purpose. I didn't know that non rain sensor equipped cars come with rain sensor windshields. If you have one of those, then your rain sensor system may not be working. If MB installed rain sensor windshields in non rain sensor cars, then the only logical reason is that it's a hell of a lot cheaper for them to make just one type of windshield rather than two. I highly doubt that's the case though since the rain sensor package cost a bundle. So here's a poll: who has rain sensor windshield but doesn't have rain sensor wiper system?
#58749 - in reply to #58727
Author
Posted 1/7/2007 8:33 PM
AsianML

Darkmann - 1/7/2007 7:47 PM It serves absolutely no purpose. I didn't know that non rain sensor equipped cars come with rain sensor windshields. If you have one of those, then your rain sensor system may not be working. If MB installed rain sensor windshields in non rain sensor cars, then the only logical reason is that it's a hell of a lot cheaper for them to make just one type of windshield rather than two. I highly doubt that's the case though since the rain sensor package cost a bundle. So here's a poll: who has rain sensor windshield but doesn't have rain sensor wiper system?
Right here!! There was a typo on the options list that we received for the ML, so I went on for months thinking I had a faulty sensor until I called the dealer and had them confirm that I have NO rain sensing system.

The picture I posted is of our ML. I asked on BW (and I think on here too), and they said there may just be a wire that needs to be connected inside that box behind the rear view mirror and setting the AAM to activate it or something. Interesting, isn't it?

#58756 - in reply to #58749
Author
Posted 1/8/2007 1:04 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Have we ever come to a conclusion?

It's a laser device that keeps aliens from abducting you. Mine works really well! How 'bout yours?
#58790 - in reply to #58727
Author
Posted 1/10/2007 3:38 PM
rudeney

You should not have that item unless you have the rain sensor. Besides what your dealer tells you, what makes you think you don’t have rain sensor wipers? If it’s because they run intermittently when in the “- - -“ position, then it might be that what someone told you (maybe me?) about a loose wire is true and that you *do* have the option. My ML had the rain sensor option, but one rain-free day, it went into “intermittent” mode (I always left the stalk in the “- - -“ position for convenience). I found that the wiring harness connected to the sensor control behind the mirror housing was loose.

Basically, that red piece you see through the windshield is the rain sensor lens which comes glued to the windshield for vehicle equipped with the option. Also, the plastic housing behind the mirror (covering the mirror’s attachment to the glass) will be larger so that it can cover the electronic module attached to the lens. If your vehicle has all of this, either there’s a big mistake and they put the wrong parts in (which is doubtful, knowing the factory’s build process) or you actually have the rain sensor and it’s not working. If the line item was on your window sticker, then it should be on the vehicle. There are *no mistakes* on window stickers (lest someone gets in big legal trouble) .
#59030 - in reply to #58727
Author
Posted 1/10/2007 4:33 PM
AsianML

rudeney - 1/10/2007 3:38 PM You should not have that item unless you have the rain sensor. Besides what your dealer tells you, what makes you think you don’t have rain sensor wipers? If it’s because they run intermittently when in the “- - -“ position, then it might be that what someone told you (maybe me?) about a loose wire is true and that you *do* have the option. My ML had the rain sensor option, but one rain-free day, it went into “intermittent” mode (I always left the stalk in the “- - -“ position for convenience). I found that the wiring harness connected to the sensor control behind the mirror housing was loose. Basically, that red piece you see through the windshield is the rain sensor lens which comes glued to the windshield for vehicle equipped with the option. Also, the plastic housing behind the mirror (covering the mirror’s attachment to the glass) will be larger so that it can cover the electronic module attached to the lens. If your vehicle has all of this, either there’s a big mistake and they put the wrong parts in (which is doubtful, knowing the factory’s build process) or you actually have the rain sensor and it’s not working. If the line item was on your window sticker, then it should be on the vehicle. There are *no mistakes* on window stickers (lest someone gets in big legal trouble) .
Hmm, interesting. Well, the "window sticker" I referred to earlier was not the MB issued one, but a non-MB dealer typed one. The one on the actual MB window sticker doesn't have it listed. I'll maybe take a picture of the MB "sticker" and post it if it helps at all. I also believe it's not listed on the MB Club Russia site either...

How do you get into the plastic housing? I want to see if there's anything loose back there and see if any loose wires are hanging around.

EDIT: I just went into ebaymotors.com and checked out a ton of the MLs there. Most of the MY02 ML320s that had the same or even less amount of options had that big plastic box too.

Can anyone post a picture of theirs for me to see? Just curious. Both the box and the windshield sensor if possible.

I'm confused again.  

Edited by AsianML 1/10/2007 4:52 PM
#59035 - in reply to #59030
Author
Posted 1/11/2007 4:31 PM
MBnAZ
New user

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): '03 ML350 Inspiration, '05 E320, '07 S550.

AsianML, my 2003 ML350 Inspiration has this same sensor and no rain wipers. I didn't get the package that included those. When I needed a new window a couple of months ago, they didn't even ask if I had rain sensor wipers, and they put the exact same windshield in that I had, including the sensor you have photographed. I asked the window tech if I had the rain sensors, and he said he didn't know, but this was the window called for from the VIN and provided by local dealer. I checked with my SA at the dealer, and he confirmed that my vehicle is not so equipped. Maybe ML is indeed using a single windshield as suggested above. It could be that this sensor piece is cheap to produce but that the supporting electronics justify the additional costs when ordered. Also, I think that pachage included the trip computer, locking drawer under the passenger seat, etc.

I guess I'll need to start looking at others I see in parking lots now!
#59103 - in reply to #58727
Author
Posted 1/12/2007 9:02 PM
AsianML

MBnAZ - 1/11/2007 4:31 PM AsianML, my 2003 ML350 Inspiration has this same sensor and no rain wipers. I didn't get the package that included those. When I needed a new window a couple of months ago, they didn't even ask if I had rain sensor wipers, and they put the exact same windshield in that I had, including the sensor you have photographed. I asked the window tech if I had the rain sensors, and he said he didn't know, but this was the window called for from the VIN and provided by local dealer. I checked with my SA at the dealer, and he confirmed that my vehicle is not so equipped. Maybe ML is indeed using a single windshield as suggested above. It could be that this sensor piece is cheap to produce but that the supporting electronics justify the additional costs when ordered. Also, I think that pachage included the trip computer, locking drawer under the passenger seat, etc. I guess I'll need to start looking at others I see in parking lots now!
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not the only one with this. I'm going to go and poke around the box tonight and if I find anything worth noting, I'll post it.
#59249 - in reply to #59103
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1