Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class Treffens & Other G-Class Events : Texas Hill Country ...

Page 1 of 2 12
Texas Hill Country ...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/3/2009 10:02 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500
Texas Hill Country ...

We are going to the Hill Country around Austin and Fredricksburg mid month. Any back roads, trails or rout suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe this could fall under research for a Texas Treffen ... Is that a Texsreffen? (When that happens,I'll start a thread for it in the right place ...)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/3/2009 10:48 PM
rtarh2o
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle(s): 1994 G350DT, 1972 Triumph TR6
RE: Texas Hill Country ...

Let me know if you get anything together, I am itching to get mine offroad.
Rusty
#145632 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/3/2009 10:54 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

rtarh2o - 3/3/2009 9:48 PM Let me know if you get anything together, I am itching to get mine offroad. Rusty
Right now I'm just trying to find some routs ... Believe me Rusty - as soon as I know of some places to drive besides the beach we'll have a trip posted on the Treffen area! There must be some old trails and the like somewhere in this huge state ...
#145633 - in reply to #145632
Author
Posted 3/3/2009 11:19 PM
rtarh2o
Extreme Veteran

I posted a site on here last week, it was the Texas off road forum (someone else was asking about a place in Texas) You might look back a few days. I am sure there has to be some great places in the Hill Country, it is beautiful, I would love to explore there. Let me know what you find.
Rusty
#145636 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/5/2009 1:38 AM
teamkitty

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Texas Hill Country ...

Yeah, me too! I moved to Austin about a year ago and purchased my first G on ebay around last August or so. I've been going through the broken bits one thing at a time, so I've barely driven it on road, let alone off road yet. I won't be ready for mid-march, but I'm definitely down for some fun after that. Let's keep in touch...
#145779 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/5/2009 8:32 AM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Re: Texas Hill Country ...

teamkitty - 3/5/2009 12:38 AM Yeah, me too! I moved to Austin about a year ago and purchased my first G on ebay around last August or so. I've been going through the broken bits one thing at a time, so I've barely driven it on road, let alone off road yet. I won't be ready for mid-march, but I'm definitely down for some fun after that. Let's keep in touch...
Good to know! Do put some pix up of your truck in progress ... I do know there are some private off road areas in the Hill Country, but I'm sure there are some public roads and trails with some low water crossings and decent scenery out there. We will be back out to the Hill Country in the summer probably but that will likely be with the kids. I believe there are about 10 folks who participate in the Forum and live in the region, but it is by no means an "official cunsus" number. Once there are some places to drive confirmed, then off to the Treffen forum ...
#145787 - in reply to #145779
Author
Posted 3/7/2009 6:22 PM
heinz
Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): G500, MY 2000

For a very good German beer and some fun after offroading you should visit the Friesenhaus in New Braunfels they have a Biergarten, good German food and a lot of Gemuetlichkeit.
http://www.friesenhausnb.com/index.htm
#146022 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/7/2009 8:03 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

heinz - 3/7/2009 5:22 PM For a very good German beer and some fun after offroading you should visit the Friesenhaus in New Braunfels they have a Biergarten, good German food and a lot of Gemuetlichkeit. http://www.friesenhausnb.com/index.htm

Außergewöhnlich! Danke sehr ... Limonada?

Still looking for Texas trails!

Edited by Indiana Drew 3/7/2009 8:06 PM
#146027 - in reply to #146022
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 7:04 AM
nugat
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 280GE, 290GD, c303

They sure look like they do a lot of offroading in Fredericksburg. The NRA guys should know some trails. You can join in Bandera, TX, just don't point the gun at the clerk...(read the door and other signs)

Edited by nugat 3/8/2009 7:08 AM

(TX offroad.jpg)

(Bandera Gun&Pawn.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TX offroad.jpg (116KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments Bandera Gun&Pawn.jpg (77KB - 9 downloads)
#146048 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 5:07 PM
TexWagen
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

I have been racking my brain to try to think of some public areas to direct you to. There are plenty of gravel county roads that cross some really scenic back-country but they will almost always involve a lot of getting out of the truck, opening a gate, driving through, and getting out again to close the gate behind you (over and over and over, on each road). These are roads that look private but really aren't, and they go across private pastures that usually have livestock that must stay where it is, hence the gates. The Hill Country is full of these roads, some of them going to nowhere, then you have to turn around and open and close all those gates all over again.
If I can think of any really good roads that I think may be worth it for you, I'll let you know. Otherwise, you have to own the land or be on good terms with the owner in order to get permission to get onto most all of the property in the state. (Texas landowners own and carry guns, and they are not shy about telling you to get off their land. So, don't go where you should not--heed the "POSTED - No Trespassing" signs.)
#146089 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 5:20 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

nugat - 3/8/2009 6:04 AM They sure look like they do a lot of offroading in Fredericksburg. The NRA guys should know some trails. You can join in Bandera, TX, just don't point the gun at the clerk...(read the door and other signs)

I have to renew my NRA membership! Probably won't be carrying - not sure the Indiana Lifetime CCP is reciprocal in Texas - Real Estate License sure aren't ...

#146091 - in reply to #146048
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 5:25 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

TexWagen - 3/8/2009 4:07 PM I have been racking my brain to try to think of some public areas to direct you to. There are plenty of gravel county roads that cross some really scenic back-country but they will almost always involve a lot of getting out of the truck, opening a gate, driving through, and getting out again to close the gate behind you (over and over and over, on each road). These are roads that look private but really aren't, and they go across private pastures that usually have livestock that must stay where it is, hence the gates. The Hill Country is full of these roads, some of them going to nowhere, then you have to turn around and open and close all those gates all over again. If I can think of any really good roads that I think may be worth it for you, I'll let you know. Otherwise, you have to own the land or be on good terms with the owner in order to get permission to get onto most all of the property in the state. (Texas landowners own and carry guns, and they are not shy about telling you to get off their land. So, don't go where you should not--heed the "POSTED - No Trespassing" signs.)

Isn't the gate thing where the wife comes in? Is the photo on your profile one of those roads? We really aught to find somewhere to go as there seem to be a growing number of Forum Members in our area ... I have wanted to go down to the Peninsula  or southwest from Galveston to see what the storm did, but the beach is not very much of a challenge ...

#146092 - in reply to #146089
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 8:00 PM
TexWagen
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500

Drew,

Yes, those pics of me and my G are on a road in the Hill Country in Kendall county just south of Kendalia.

Having someone else along to open and close gates is a huge help.

Have you heard of (or thought of) either of these two places:

http://www.treesranchoffroad.com/index.html

or

http://www.katemcyrocks.com/index.html

I have not been to either one myself, but they sure might be worth a look.

A drive down to the Bolivar to check out Hurricane Ike damage would be fine with me. Let me know when it sounds like it might happen.
#146108 - in reply to #146092
Author
Posted 3/8/2009 9:28 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

TexWagen - 3/8/2009 7:00 PM Drew, Yes, those pics of me and my G are on a road in the Hill Country in Kendall county just south of Kendalia. Having someone else along to open and close gates is a huge help. Have you heard of (or thought of) either of these two places: http://www.treesranchoffroad.com/index.html or http://www.katemcyrocks.com/index.html I have not been to either one myself, but they sure might be worth a look. A drive down to the Bolivar to check out Hurricane Ike damage would be fine with me. Let me know when it sounds like it might happen.

Those look good - I also have read up on Hidden Falls at Marble Falls ... I would be really satisfied on this trip just doing the scenic roads and low water bridges ... We will keep planning till we get up there and then just have to drive around LOL. I do have a contact that I have not tried up there, but I'm not sure I have his number ... As far as the Boliver, I'm not sure when, but I guess I'll put a post up on the Treffen Forum ...

#146112 - in reply to #146108
Author
Posted 3/9/2009 11:39 AM
discap
Regular

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

Go to Leakey and find the H.E. Butts Foundation. This is private property but really good people running it. Knock on the office door and see if they will let you drive in the river. Very cool. Easy but great views

I almost laughed outloud with your comment about the beach not being challenging. Drive from the North end of Padre Island to Port Isabell. Do your research first. Take lots of winches, cables, anchors, shovels etc. Don't try it by yourself.

I don't have my Texas map with me here in the frozen north so I cannot get more specific on the Butts Foundation location. If you can find Leakey (pronounced Lake-ee) you should be able to find the ranch.
#146155 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/9/2009 12:15 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

discap - 3/9/2009 10:39 AM Go to Leakey and find the H.E. Butts Foundation. This is private property but really good people running it. Knock on the office door and see if they will let you drive in the river. Very cool. Easy but great views I almost laughed outloud with your comment about the beach not being challenging. Drive from the North end of Padre Island to Port Isabell. Do your research first. Take lots of winches, cables, anchors, shovels etc. Don't try it by yourself. I don't have my Texas map with me here in the frozen north so I cannot get more specific on the Butts Foundation location. If you can find Leakey (pronounced Lake-ee) you should be able to find the ranch.

Thanks - My wife grew in San Antonio and knows Leakey ... I don't think we will venture that far this trip, but soon! As far as the beeches, up here around Galveston and the Boliver Peninsula they don't seem to be difficult like the Padre to Port Isabell ones. I have heard all sorts of things about the loos sand down there, but not made that trip yet ... Sorry to hear it is still the frozen north up there - I was in St. Louis (grew up there) a few weeks ago and it was pretty nice, but I don't miss the cold too much ... Come down south and warm your bones! Maybe next winter we can plan a Big Bend/West Texas winter Roundup ...

#146159 - in reply to #146155
Author
Posted 3/11/2009 5:06 PM
discap
Regular

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500

Offroading in the Hill Country and So. Tx is tough because everything is fenced and private. By private I mean that the landowners have guns and are looking for an opportunity to use them. By far the easiest (access) and most interesting is the Padre Island trip. I lived in Houston for 35 years and there is not much interesting in the way of offroading nearby. You are correct about the Boliver Area Beaches. I have driven all over them in a Chevy Impala company car. Biggest problem is getting stuck at low tide. I don't recommend it.

Bill
#146333 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/11/2009 5:26 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

discap - 3/11/2009 4:06 PM Offroading in the Hill Country and So. Tx is tough because everything is fenced and private. By private I mean that the landowners have guns and are looking for an opportunity to use them. By far the easiest (access) and most interesting is the Padre Island trip. I lived in Houston for 35 years and there is not much interesting in the way of offroading nearby. You are correct about the Boliver Area Beaches. I have driven all over them in a Chevy Impala company car. Biggest problem is getting stuck at low tide. I don't recommend it. Bill

I would agree all the way around ... I have not been down to Padre, but maybe will have time this year. I would gather that the summer is not the time to go further south ... My experiences on Boliver lead me to believe that anyone stuck on those beaches in a 4x4 has tried really hard to be stuck. I guess I need to get my fishing license for Texas as well. Seems that driving on the beach should be broken up by fishing ...

#146334 - in reply to #146333
Author
Posted 3/11/2009 10:39 PM
rtarh2o
Extreme Veteran

Ok, you got me thinking there must be some good places in this great state so I did a little searching.
Try these links, I just found them and have not looked through them but plan to so I can find a good spot myself. I have a free weekend in 2 weeks, may have to hit the trails if I can find some, will let you know what I find.

http://www.tamor.org/index1.php?id=101
http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=8

Hope we can find something!
Rusty
#146358 - in reply to #145626
Author
Posted 3/11/2009 10:45 PM
rtarh2o
Extreme Veteran