Page 1 of 2 12
Le Mans
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 8:27 AM
Greeney

Date registered: Dec 1899
Le Mans

I got back from Lemans 24hr today so have got some catching up to do on the forum but I have got to say:
I got to see every car imaginable over the 4 days you name it I saw it just dont mention a G I did not see even 1
Could nt we organise a contingent for next year?
For those that dont know AUDI won overall in the TURBO DIESEL what an achievment, what will it do for diesel sales in the USofA?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 8:47 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Le Mans

Greeney - 6/19/2006 8:27 AM

For those that dont know AUDI won overall in the TURBO DIESEL what an achievment, what will it do for diesel sales in the USofA?

Sadly, very little, if anything! The US buying public associates diesel with large trucks, noise, smoke and bad smell.
#24661 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 10:39 AM
Greeney

I get your point of course BUT they have just won the Lemans race breaking lap records by 10sec AND they actually sounded like quiet jets instead of the VERY noisy petrol cars. They were incredible, saying that of course I was hoping the Astons would win but the feat was amazing none-the-less. Maybe this might be what diesel power has been looking for a recognition that they can be more than oil burning noisy lumbering vehicles
#24688 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 12:50 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2

The Audi's had more HP and torque (1000) nm than the truck that got them there, I want to meet the man that built the gear box.The gear wheels are the size of cycle wheels, but a gaer box change takes 3 minutes.
They broke so many records, starting with.
The first diesel engine car to enter Le Mans
The first diesel engine car to get pole at Le Mans
#25058 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 2:02 PM
ehdenoffroad

DUTCH - 6/20/2006 2:47 AM
Greeney - 6/19/2006 8:27 AM For those that dont know AUDI won overall in the TURBO DIESEL what an achievment, what will it do for diesel sales in the USofA?
Sadly, very little, if anything!

The US buying public associates diesel with large trucks, noise, smoke and bad smell.

The US public is not totally wrong, he cannot imagine a tractor soundalike FIAT or Renault, and i agree with him. I hate european Diesels :cheers:, i got outrunned today by a 2006 Alfa Romeo, when he stepped on the gas, believe me, it smoked like hell,and that's ugly. There's only one advantage of diesel to me (for cars), gas price. For 4x4s that's another story!

#25097 - in reply to #24661
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 3:41 PM
Greeney

There is alot more to consider than just gas prices, today's diesel engines provide anything between 20-to-40-percent better fuel economy and offer more torque at lower rpm when compared to their gasoline counterparts. Diesel engines are also substantially less harmful to the environment today than they were in the past. Of all the types of internal combustion engines, the diesel engine is the most efficient: A given amount of diesel fuel can make more power than the same amount of gasoline. Also, According to the Department of Energy, if 30 percent of the passenger cars and light-duty trucks in the U.S. had diesel engines, U.S. net crude oil imports would be reduced by 350,000 barrels per day. To put this in context, U.S. crude imports averaged well over 20 million barrels a day in the first half of 2005, according to the Energy Information Administration, so diesel engines can provide a serious argument of a more comprehensive solution to oil dependency.
In some areas, such as carbon-dioxide emissions, diesels are actually more environmentally friendly than gasoline, and in europe with the new low sulfur based diesels the engines are cleaner overall looking at the bigger picture.
I am no expert on diesels or petrol for that matter but looking to the future things are going to change the audi win is just another step. Apart from anything my ears are still ringing with the cars engines the audis were so much quieter

Edited by Greeney 6/20/2006 3:42 PM
#25153 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 4:26 PM
ehdenoffroad

Nicholas, thanks for the small article you wrote

Diesel engines became efficient compared to gasoline in the late 90's, and many companies such as Honda never developped diesel before the end of the 90's, their strategy used to say: Diesels are noisy, smoky and dull, which was true back at that time.

Nowadays, with the high pressure direct injection (HDI), diesels are able to beat the gas engine in many fields even performance. However i still do have a personal opinion:

I drove a Golf 5 TDI 1.9 for about 300Kms, nothing to say about the performance and specially the economy, it was astonishing, however i'm still not convinced. The car drove like a truck to me, very torquey and an ugly engine sound, it even felt fragile: On red signs, and when pulling off hard, i just felt that the engine's gonna pop up from the hood.

I never drove new MB diesels, are they smooth?

Regards

Anthony

#25173 - in reply to #25153
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 4:55 PM
DUTCH

BMW Turbo Diesel

ehdenoffroad - 6/20/2006 4:26 PM

Nicholas, thanks for the small article you wrote

Diesel engines became efficient compared to gasoline in the late 90's, and many companies such as Honda never developped diesel before the end of the 90's, their strategy used to say: Diesels are noisy, smoky and dull, which was true back at that time.

Nowadays, with the high pressure direct injection (HDI), diesels are able to beat the gas engine in many fields even performance. However i still do have a personal opinion:

I drove a Golf 5 TDI 1.9 for about 300Kms, nothing to say about the performance and specially the economy, it was astonishing, however i'm still not convinced. The car drove like a truck to me, very torquey and an ugly engine sound, it even felt fragile: On red signs, and when pulling off hard, i just felt that the engine's gonna pop up from the hood.

I never drove new MB diesels, are they smooth?

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

I drove a 2 liter BMW turbo diesel convertible for about 3,000 km last Fall in Europe. It drove like a sports car, got tremendous fuel economy, was very quiet, did not smell and accellerated like a rocket.

I wish they sold them in the US
#25185 - in reply to #25173
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 5:28 PM
Greeney

I was nt preaching by any means but i have had diesels since early 90s at one point I had 9 opel vans for my business that i bought new I sold the business in 1998 and the vans separately they all had 200+K MILES on the clocks and not one of then had a serious problem, I had a 1997 BMW 5series diesel that was as smooth as you could get and sounded as close to a petrol as a you could get. a friend of mine in France has just bought a new merc diesel its beautiful and smooth no smoke or soot on acceleration 0-60mph in 7sec. All I was saying was they have changed and with the development of the audi in lemans they ARE going to change even more as people will realise they are not what they originally perceived.
Antony you must be the only frenchman that doesnt like them, in this area people look at you oddly if you fill up at the sans plomb pompe or maybe its because they are staring at the funny englishman
see you soon mon pot
#25203 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 5:30 PM
ehdenoffroad

RE: BMW Turbo Diesel

Anthony, I drove a 2 liter BMW turbo diesel convertible for about 3,000 km last Fall in Europe. It drove like a sports car, got tremendous fuel economy, was very quiet, did not smell and accellerated like a rocket. I wish they sold them in the US

Hi Dutch, what year was the BMW? The new generation of BMW diesels (fitted on the 3 series: 320d ,330d) have one of the best output in the market, i heard that the 330d is able to compete with an E36 M3, this engine has probably everything to make it the best european diesel engine(Torque, noise, economy).

Anyway, i think that MB has many generations in diesel experience, i would trust a Mercedes Diese engine much more thatn i would trust any other european one. I have a friend that sold his E270CDI with 700 000 Kms on the counter with no engine problems, that says it all, the car was off course exported to the middle east

And concerning the CO emission of the 400CDI, i heard that it won the prize of the best pollutant

Regards

PS: Which MB diesel engines are available in the US? Did they import the W126 D during the 80s?

#25204 - in reply to #25185
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 5:44 PM
ehdenoffroad

Antony you must be the only frenchman that doesnt like them, in this area people look at you oddly if you fill up at the sans plomb pompe or maybe its because they are staring at the funny englishman see you soon mon pot :cheers:

Looool Nicholas u are absolutely right, i 've been fighting the French Diesel fans for a while now, and you know what Diesel in the french blood hehe, that's why 99% of them missed the pure pleasure of driving a gasoline MB or a BMW, even when the gasoline was kinda cheap back to the 80s. They got used to drive boring cars. In the end everyone sees a car in a different way, i'm passionned about mechanics while for them a car is to take them to work and back (70% of the population).

I love my GOLF 3 1.8 engine sound and i do adore my 230G sluggish sound too, btw have u tried the cut off sound on your 300GD? Please don't, you'll be arrested for causing smog over the Limousin area Just kidding, got your point about the diesel future, you are right, they're getting better and better.

Meilleures salutations, i'll see you in august mon pote

#25213 - in reply to #25203
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 6:44 PM
DUTCH

RE: BMW Turbo Diesel

ehdenoffroad - 6/20/2006 5:30 PM

Hi Dutch, what year was the BMW?

Probably a 2005. It was a Hertz Mietwagen.
#25237 - in reply to #25204
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 8:10 PM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss
Re: Le Mans

Here's what happens if you take an older MB diesel and tune the living dayilights out of it. (Video)

http://www.teamrwd.com/dieselboost/videos/dslboost05.wmv

The black one has an OM606 and the red one an OM603. The black one has 426Hp and 765Nm...

They still show some of the old diesel traits, though. When they really pour it on, they smoke like a WWII destroyer laying a smokescreen. Kinda cool, though...

Regards

Johan-Kr

Edited by Fenalaar 6/20/2006 8:10 PM
#25249 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 12:13 PM
tclynes

Ive driven quite a few diesels. My dad, as greeny seems to have done, had quite a few diesel vans when he had his company. he still keeps a volkswagen transported 2.5tdi auto and drives it instead of his merc!

ive driven that and its quick, my brother has the new 174bhp transporter, (a van that can be chipped to over 230bhp another great thing about turbo diesels, they gain so much more from chip tuning) even in the 'standard' 174bhp state it, to pardon my language, 'pisses all over' hot hatches and other performance cars.

my boss has the 535d bmw, a car with two different sized turbos to reduce lag of the BIG one, and this thing shoots along, and its so quiet.

my friend's peugeot 206 diesel has been chipped, and even though it is only the 1.4 it flies along (it can cruise at around 110mph), its a nice running car and the mpg he gets compared to my friends running a petrol engine with the same performance is amazing.

if i bought a car now that wasnt a g diesel, id plump straight for a volkwagen built tdi, the only fault people report to me about the golf tdi is that its so perfect its lacks character, they long for the drama or something breaking!

the usa does have a disturbed view on diesel, im sure i saw somewhere on the gwoa forum that the quality of diesel isnt anything like what we buy over here (optimax diesel is even avaliable here now) due to manafactures not wanting to have to provide diesel and petrol engines for all cars.

the only thing that is lost by a diesel is the sound, its hard to get a real raspy sound, they are usually quiet, with a nice little whine from a turbo when you floor it.

everyone must have seen the honda diesel advert! i will find it online if not

Tom

#25392 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 12:18 PM
roughneck
Expert

IMO. the quality of fuel is generaly poor in North America both spirit and diesel.
As for the noise, my converted 300 GD turbo intercooled with custom built exhaust system makes a terrific noise, not unlike the Rio Army truck.
#25394 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 11:51 AM
Ducks

Fenalaar - 6/20/2006 5:10 PM Here's what happens if you take an older MB diesel and tune the living dayilights out of it.

amzimmy has apparently done something similar with the om617

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=1689&start=21&posts=30

roughneck - 6/21/2006 9:18 AM IMO. the quality of fuel is generaly poor in North America both spirit and diesel.

Low sulfur diesel is supposed to start this year in the US, sometime around September I think.

The main problem with US diesels is the California emission laws (I believe).  I don't think they take into consideration actual fuel economy only emissions, which are high in (my chemistry is getting foggy) sulfur dioxide(?).  Anyways, car companies aren't going to send diesels to the US if they can't sell them in California. 

Chad

Edited by Ducks 6/22/2006 12:02 PM
#25642 - in reply to #25249
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 3:45 PM
roughneck
Expert

With Euro 4 emissions now well in place and Euro 5 having to be met by 2008 for both petrol and diesel engines, we are close to seeing only hot air, baby foxes and butterflies come out the exhaust, I beleave, looking at the logic behind the chemistry of fuels and the requirements of emmisions standards that diesel will be the way to go, however should the next obvious step be taken? having converted the world to diesel we then turn the wheel full circle and run every thing on peanut oil just like the good old doctor intended.

(Diesel Crank.jpg)

(rta96c.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Diesel Crank.jpg (86KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments rta96c.jpg (84KB - 12 downloads)
#25680 - in reply to #25642
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 5:51 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys

i'm afraid to ask, how many litres? or how much hp?
#25709 - in reply to #24656
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 3:04 AM
roughneck
Expert

nadd - 6/22/2006 10:51 PM

i'm afraid to ask, how many litres? or how much hp?

I thought I had put that up.

Its the largest diesel engine ever built, a Sulzer 2300 tons.
Its 14 cylinders produce 108,920 hp and 5,608,312lbsft @ 102 rpm it powers a giant container liner.

(cyl head build.jpg)

(piston.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cyl head build.jpg (96KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments piston.jpg (43KB - 15 downloads)
#25829 - in reply to #25709
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 3:48 AM
tclynes

i read up on that on a design website the other day. it is an awsome thing.

'The cylinder bore is 38 inches and the stroke is just over 98 inches. Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 litres) and produces 7780 horsepower'

that means i could easily fit in one cylinder!

for those interested http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/3263/ theres an article there, and some other neat inventions too, my favourite being the wallypower yacht.

Tom
#25836 - in reply to #24656
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12