Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

Page 1 of 3 123
463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/8/2006 8:03 PM
Smitty

Date registered: Dec 1899
463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

I am looking to replace my dash speakers and I have no idea what size speakers go in the dash. Does anyone know the sizes? If not, I'll have to take it apart before i order the parts and again when they get here. I'd rather not pull the dash apart twice.

I haven't lurked this forum in a while, but I thought that you guys might like to see my new sliders. I had a local race car fabricator whip them up and he did a fantastic job.

They're very well-made. The brackets fastening the slider to the chassis are made of box tubing that's been gusseted for extra strength:

The brackets are capped on either end and tapered at the bottom so that it will not snag and the bolt holes have been sleeved so that the tubing is completely watertight:

About a month ago, I got a little stupid and hit a mud hole at a speed best described as 'excessive':

That event required an alternator replacement. The original one was impacted with mud. Thankfully it's under warranty and my dealer and I have an understanding: I don't complain about squeaks, rattles, radio reception, etc and he'll keep it mechanically sound.

I also had an unfortunate incident which hastened the demise of my drag links:

A few days ago, the repercussions of the bath in liquified dirt were felt by the failure of my idler pulley bearings:

That's it in a nutshell. I haven't been off-roading too much this summer as I picked up a motorcycle and a track car, but I look to get out again soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/8/2006 9:03 PM
markvulture
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300gd canvas top plus several g projects!!!!!
RE: 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

looks cool, but technically those sliders dont look like they are fitted to the chassis at all they are bolted through the sills, which is the bodyshell not the chassis.
#29861 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/9/2006 12:48 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Re: 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

if you can slow down a little, you might have avoided some of the damage... i like driving 55mph on dirt roads and snow... but only when the visibility is good... i pretty much would avoid a mud pit like the plague.

Definitely keep the car airing out. YOu've got a lot of electronics on the floor of that car (under seats for example, so you'll want them to dry as fast as possible.

MBUSA is so retarded. WHen i see truck like this i think it's bizarre they don't see the market for an off-road package for this truck. I love my 33's even without a lift. they roll rounder alot rounder than the stock tires.

#29895 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/9/2006 7:32 AM
Thai

markvulture - 7/8/2006 8:03 PM

looks cool, but technically those sliders dont look like they are fitted to the chassis at all they are bolted through the sills, which is the bodyshell not the chassis.

This is the only reasonable way to attach sliders in a 463 chassis. You can do weld-on slider but it is very time consuming and very hard to design because of the exhaust system.

The sill where these sliders attached is reinforced. The bolts holding the slider (OEM bolts is what I used) are grade-8. Six bolts per side. Here is a very extensive thread on these type of sliders: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1250910-safarigard-sliders-... Since we have a few members with Safarigard sliders, we have heard of a few Safarigard sliders bending (= them doing their job), but not heard of any damage to the bolts, mounting holes, or even damage to the rocker panel due to slider damage.

I have field tested my sliders and they hold up very well. They can support the weight of my car for a brief moment...this is as far as i have tested it. They slide of rocks without issue.

Edited by Thai 7/9/2006 7:44 AM
#29910 - in reply to #29861
Author
Posted 7/9/2006 9:00 AM
Smitty

ewalberg - 7/9/2006 12:48 AM

if you can slow down a little, you might have avoided some of the damage... i like driving 55mph on dirt roads and snow... but only when the visibility is good... i pretty much would avoid a mud pit like the plague.

Definitely keep the car airing out. YOu've got a lot of electronics on the floor of that car (under seats for example, so you'll want them to dry as fast as possible.

MBUSA is so retarded. WHen i see truck like this i think it's bizarre they don't see the market for an off-road package for this truck. I love my 33's even without a lift. they roll rounder alot rounder than the stock tires.

Thank you, captain obvious. You may have noticed that there's text in between the pictures that reads "About a month ago..." I didn't specify what I did to dry out the truck because it's irrelevant, but don't you think that it's dry by now considering it happened a month ago?

Can anyone answer the sole question I asked about speaker replacement?

Edited by Smitty 7/9/2006 9:00 AM
#29926 - in reply to #29895
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 6:43 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Dash Speakers

Are you asking about those small ones mounted in the top of the dash next to the windshield glass?

They are very easy to access and remove, unless the post 2001 dash has been changed a lot from earlier models.
#30125 - in reply to #29926
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 9:04 AM
Smitty

RE: Dash Speakers

DUTCH - 7/10/2006 6:43 AM

Are you asking about those small ones mounted in the top of the dash next to the windshield glass?

They are very easy to access and remove, unless the post 2001 dash has been changed a lot from earlier models.

Yes, those are the ones. In the very center of the dash, there is what appears to be a speaker grille. Does that house a speaker?
#30141 - in reply to #30125
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 9:16 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Dash Speakers

Smitty - 7/10/2006 9:04 AM

Yes, those are the ones. In the very center of the dash, there is what appears to be a speaker grille. Does that house a speaker?

On my 2000 G500, those two little speakers are easy to access. Lift out the plastic strip that runs along the bottom inside of the window. On mine it's in there with friction catch pins. Pull straight up carefully using the defroster openings as a hooking point.

This will expose the bolts holding the speaker cover grill, Remove those and the grill; and you should be able to measure the speaker.

I don't know what's under the big one in the middle. I don't have that one.
#30143 - in reply to #30141
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 10:47 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

This is from the WIS

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Speakers.pdf (602KB - 47 downloads)
#30151 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 11:32 AM
KERR

i think they are the little 4 inch... might even bee smaller than that. the doors are 6.5's

where did you get those studs from for the wheels. I got mine in the other day and need a set of lugs or studs

#30157 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 11:48 AM
Smitty

Thanks for the input Dutch and Chuck. I'll head out in a few minutes to check it out.

KERR - 7/10/2006 11:32 AM

i think they are the little 4 inch... might even bee smaller than that. the doors are 6.5's

where did you get those studs from for the wheels. I got mine in the other day and need a set of lugs or studs

Kerr, I got the studs from Turner Motorsports. They don't list anything for Mercedes on their site, but they deal directly with H&R and were able to get the parts overnight. The guys at Turner knew exactly what to order, but if they've forgotten, you can tell them to check the last order from Chris Smith in Leesburg, Virginia.

I bought the longer of the two versions offered because I wanted to be able to mount my stock wheels. I shouldn't have done that because I'm probably never going to put the stockers back on and I'm now afraid of damaging a stud and not being able to remove a wheel in a pinch.

#30160 - in reply to #30157
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 2:29 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

Let me put it this way, the underseat storage boxes on the pre-2000 will stay wet for a LONG time if water gets into the mats... LONG after the mats dry that are under your feet. Propping open the door for the under seat storage is basically the only decently fast (forget fast, more likely reasonably timely) way to allows enough air to flow and dry. If you don't open the that little door, it takes for ever and you have a moist storage area for months... in your case a moist computer area, and i don't know what you can open to allow complete drying, and I don't know what you did to make sure it's really dry under there since you didn't state it and i'd rather you have a happy driving truck for a long time to come at the risk of stating the obvious. And you'd be surprised what people don't take as obvious. Hunting Ridge Motors tried to tell Garrett that moisture under the seats was normal. Captain Obvious would have also thought it improbable that somebody would think to drive in door deep muddy water mud fast enough to get mud on the roof but... but he doesn't know the circumstances around that either and is just glad you got her home happy and safe, and apparently well dried.

To the fellow on the slider location... the sills are pretty strong and the factory sliders bolt into the same locations so as long as you don't come down hard on them they should be fine... better than the mufflers or running boards that's for sure!

Edited by ewalberg 7/10/2006 2:33 PM
#30198 - in reply to #29926
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 3:39 PM
Braingears
Expert

When I soaked the interior, I had to learn a few new lessons on the interior. First things first... pull out and/or lift up as many of the carpets as you can. Remove the several "tack screws" along the edges and lift the carpet up. There is a thin plastic layer under the carpets. If water gets under that, it will stay in contact with the metal for a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time!
I removed and lifted most of the carpets in the truck for three days straight with the fans running 24hrs per day. I even used those carpet cleaners to make sure that the carpets were not going to mildew or smell. The seats actually come out very easily. Four bolts and one or two electrical plugs, and they come out in 10 minutes.

In some cases, it is not a bad idea to go to one of those Steam Cleaning places and let them take a swipe at it. The Wet/Dry Vaccuum that they have is VERY powerful.

Getting the mud spots off of the headliner is no problem. Getting it out of the air vents is a different story.
#30215 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 4:05 PM
Smitty

Braingears - 7/10/2006 3:39 PM

When I soaked the interior, I had to learn a few new lessons on the interior. First things first... pull out and/or lift up as many of the carpets as you can. Remove the several "tack screws" along the edges and lift the carpet up. There is a thin plastic layer under the carpets. If water gets under that, it will stay in contact with the metal for a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time!
I removed and lifted most of the carpets in the truck for three days straight with the fans running 24hrs per day. I even used those carpet cleaners to make sure that the carpets were not going to mildew or smell. The seats actually come out very easily. Four bolts and one or two electrical plugs, and they come out in 10 minutes.

Water was over the hood and ~3 inches up the front side windows, but the standing water in the cabin was only 2-3 inches deep. I took the seats and carpets out, removed the door panels, pressure-washed the carpets and left the doors open in the garage for 3 weeks with fans on. I went overboard, but I bought a new motorcycle and "Honey, I'm letting the truck dry" was a perfect excuse to ride it every day.
#30217 - in reply to #30215
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 4:08 PM
Braingears
Expert

Perfect!
You did the right thing...

My pictures did not load...

Edited by Braingears 7/10/2006 4:11 PM
#30218 - in reply to #30217
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 4:10 PM
Braingears
Expert

Perfect!
You did the right thing...

This is another reason I like the pre-2002 models, you can get them wet without damaging the electronics.

#30219 - in reply to #30217
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 11:28 PM
Thai

What electronics are you guys talking about???? Has anyone really damage anything or is this in theory??
#30344 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 11:53 PM
Braingears
Expert

Thai - 7/10/2006 11:28 PM What electronics are you guys talking about???? Has anyone really damage anything or is this in theory??

If you look under your seats, you will find all of the major computers.

http://mercedes.braingears.com/463_TECH/MODEL%20463/electrical/elect_contmodules.htm

#30347 - in reply to #30344
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 8:18 AM
Thai

Braingears - 7/10/2006 10:53 PM

Thai - 7/10/2006 11:28 PM What electronics are you guys talking about???? Has anyone really damage anything or is this in theory??

http://mercedes.braingears.com/463_TECH/MODEL%20463/electrical/elect_contmodules.htm

Your link does not work. Under my seat, i see the Harmon Kardon amplifier. I would not consider that a big deal to replace.
#30389 - in reply to #30347
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 8:51 AM
Ducks

Thai - 7/11/2006 5:18 AM
Braingears - 7/10/2006 10:53 PM

Your link does not work. Under my seat, i see the Harmon Kardon amplifier. I would not consider that a big deal to replace.

The link works fine for me.  Under the driver's seat it looks like there is:

N32/1 Left front ESA control module (with memory)

:cheers:
Chad

#30396 - in reply to #30389
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 3 123