Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

Page 1 of 2 12
THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/17/2006 8:57 PM
1996_S500

Date registered: Dec 1899
THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

I think this is wonderful. As I have explained before, I don't have a beautiful, amazing, strong, and awesome G, but when I get an SUV, it will be one of these superb masterpieces. I love the G Class, and it is my all time favorite Sport Utility Vehicle. I feel that no other SUV compares with the G Class. And it's quality is still as good as what Mercedes-Benz's quality was back before the year 2000, when MB started cutting costs. But it still seems that at the Graz Austria plant, they are still building these cars the same way since the opening of the factory, and the production of the G.

Now, here is the article about the G55 getting a HP upgrade.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2060801.001/country/gcf...

]

From GermanCarFans.com:

Mercedes-Benz G 55 AMG Now with 500hp Power increase for the AMG classic

What is perhaps the strongest character in the Mercedes-AMG model range has been given a shot in the arm. Increased to 368 kW/500 hp, the output of the G 55 AMG now exceeds that of the predecessor model by 18 kW/24 hp. At the same time this classic cross-country vehicle has been treated to enhanced standard equipment which includes new AMG light-alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlamps, foglamps with a cornering light function and new paint finishes with greater scratch resistance, based on nano-technology.

The increase in output from 350 kW/476 hp to 368 kW/500 hp is due to an enhanced and retuned engine control unit. The supercharged 5.5-litre AMG engine generates its maximum torque of 700 newton metres between 2750 and 4000 rpm. These exceptional figures are a guarantee of effortless performance: the G 55 AMG accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in just 5.5 seconds (preceding model: 5.6 s), the maximum speed remains 210 km/h (electronically limited). The AMG sports exhaust system with its two oval twin tailpipes emerging at an angle in front of the rear wheels, as well as the characteristic AMG V8 sound, provide an ample visual and acoustic indication of the engine power to be expected of the G 55 AMG Kompressor.

Both on and off-road, the G 55 AMG gives its occupants a feeling of serenity, exclusivity and dynamic potential. As always, the classic among Mercedes-Benz off-roaders provides a convincing synthesis of highly efficient drive and dynamic handling control systems. In addition to permanent all-wheel drive with a low-range gearbox, the standard appointments include the electronic traction system for all-wheel drive 4ETS, the Electronic Stability Program ESP® and differential locks which can be engaged at the touch of a button. Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria, has been producing the G-Class on behalf of Mercedes-Benz since 1979, with more than 186,000 examples built to date. And there is no end to this success story in sight.

Enhanced standard appointments with AMG light-alloy wheels in titanium grey

Visually, the new model year G 55 AMG is distinguishable from its predecessor by 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels painted in titanium grey with 285/55 R 18 wide-base tyres. The extensive standard appointments have been further enhanced, now including bi-xenon headlamps, oval foglamps with a cornering light function and ISOFIX child seat attachments in the second seat row. The more scratch resistant, nano-technology based paint finishes of calcite white, periclase green metallic and teallite blue metallic are also new. The top-of-the-line model in the G-Class is available only as a five-door Station Wagon with a long wheelbase, and may be ordered in Mercedes-Benz sales outlets with immediate effect. The selling price is 113,332 EUR (incl. 16% VAT), and customer deliveries will commence in September 2006.

In addition to the classic G 55 AMG Kompressor, the Mercedes-AMG model lineup features two other powerful and versatile all-rounders: the new ML 63 AMG and R 63 AMG, both equipped with the 378 kW/510 hp, naturally aspirated 6.3-litre AMG V8-engine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/25/2006 6:34 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

1996_S500 - 8/17/2006 6:57 PM

.And it's quality is still as good as what Mercedes-Benz's quality was back before the year 2000, when MB started cutting costs. But it still seems that at the Graz Austria plant, they are still building these cars the same way since the opening of the factory, and the production of the G.

I suspect there are more than a few owners of 2002 model G500's that might disagree with that. I was one of them, the car was full of problems, I have regressed to pre 1990 The quality on the new G's does seem to have improved since then though. I think that the new G55k should have pretty respectable quality considering all the complexity added over the years. I still don't really understand the need for a 500hp G though.
#41077 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/25/2006 10:57 PM
1996_S500

Brent - 8/25/2006 3:34 PM

1996_S500 - 8/17/2006 6:57 PM

.And it's quality is still as good as what Mercedes-Benz's quality was back before the year 2000, when MB started cutting costs. But it still seems that at the Graz Austria plant, they are still building these cars the same way since the opening of the factory, and the production of the G.

I suspect there are more than a few owners of 2002 model G500's that might disagree with that. I was one of them, the car was full of problems, I have regressed to pre 1990 The quality on the new G's does seem to have improved since then though. I think that the new G55k should have pretty respectable quality considering all the complexity added over the years. I still don't really understand the need for a 500hp G though.

wow, I never knew that the 2002 G's were not as well made as the early ones. Did MB start to lack in quality after the luxury makeover of the G Class? I always thought that the earlier G wagons were very solid, but I never thought that they started cutting down on quality.

Yea, You are right Brent, 500 HP is very excessive. But still, imagine how quick the 55 must be now....
#41118 - in reply to #41077
Author
Posted 8/26/2006 1:50 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

Models built up until the makeover in 2001 used older interior hardware, much of it from the 124 class, which were superbly reliable cars. When they "updated" the interior they used many components from the newer C-class which brought in parts from the new "cost cutting" philosophy. I had problems with the power seat controls, seat heaters, power mirror controls, and my 5 year olds broke at least half a dozen interior door handles. IMO, these were all poorly made parts, all of them new for 2001(2002 in the US) and different from the very relibale similar parts in my older G's. The basic truck is/was still a very solid, well built machine. Some of the junk the bolted onto it in the name of luxury, or updates, simply spoiled it for me. I only kept my 2002 G500 for about six months, which was a shame because the V8 and the cool blue color really appealed to me.
#41214 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/28/2006 4:34 PM
KERR

Re: THE G 55 AMG Now gets 500hp

when i ran out of warranty i was $32K in warranty repairs. i will not go into details but it was something 17 door handles, 10 broken locks, 6 or 7 power window motor, fuel system leak, electrical problems..... and what not. Strage thing is though after last trip to the dealer where they replaced 6 pages of stuff everthing works now that its out of warranty except for the CD player still eats disk and the esp light flashes for no reason.

Mb has dropped the ball over the years, and from what i have heard the R class might be worse than the G! Then again i have see two 600 serise cars 05 SL600 and a 05 S600 that would not turn off with the key out of the ignition. I hate to say but MB & BMW are loosing the status they use to have. Seem like toyota, nissan, are heading towards the top of the food chain.

Now about 500 hp... Id take one today if i could swing the payments... then again for $64,000 less you could get a SRT-8 Jeep and still be quicker id say do to weight not to mention the fact a company make a blower to 120 or 150 hp to the Jeep. Figure in the deperication of a G over a year and the jeep would almost be free lol.

If you want to see a Retarded SUV check this out. Twin turbo Hennessey SRT-8. And its still $31K cheaper than a G55.

2006 Jeep SRT600 Turbo by Hennessey Performance Engineering

Power:
620 hp @ 5,200 rpm
650 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Performance:
0 - 60 mph: 3.7 sec. *
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec. @ 114 mph *
* Tests performed on Jeep SRT600 Turbo verified with Driftbox data acquisition system.

Includes:
Single Turbocharger
Stainless Steel Turbo Headers
Single 44 mm Wastegate
Stainless Steel Dual 3 in. Exhaust System with Polished 4 in. Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips
Front Mounted Air-to-Air Intercooler
3.5 in. Polished Inlet Tube with Blow-Off Valve
Upgraded Fuel Pump & Fuel System

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d1c9ddea-9075-4b59-b905-980f0109...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/952212ff-3824-430c-b397-980f0107...

Edited by KERR 8/28/2006 4:46 PM
#41689 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/28/2006 6:59 PM
1996_S500

oh god, that is horrible.

KERR:

I totally agree with you about MB and BMW losing their status as supreme quality companies. Its really sad seing what they are coming out with these days. Quality basically ended in 1999-2000 for Mercedes-Benz, Not only with the G, but even S Classes.

That Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with the Hennessey tuning is insane. But I've always loved the G Class, so maybe I will get a G500 .

Brent and KERR:

So when I get a G wagon, (which I will definitely get) would you guys recommend one of the ones originally imported by Europa? So, would a good year be 1999/2000?

But definitely not 2001-Present. That is really sad. Thank you so much Brent and KERR for alerting me to the poor build quality of the 2001-Present G Classes.

I am really sad to hear that you have both gone so much difficulty with the newer G's you had. The G Class is one of my dream cars. I really love them. Now, I will make sure to get an earlier G Class. I want a later G Class, so its probably going to be a 1999 or 2000 G Class.

You G Class Guys are great. Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Edited by 1996_S500 8/28/2006 7:05 PM
#41728 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/29/2006 12:27 AM

Wow...Kerr, you certainly have had your share of braindamage..? I am surprised you have chosen to stick with the MB brand..! My 02' was very good. I had little issues, which I mainly fixed myself. However, I know I am far from the norm. If I had the same experience as you, you can be sure MB/Stuttgart would have my picture in the lobby by now. As for BMW's, we have 2, 06' X5 and 04' X3, this one with 58K miles. No issues at all. Very happy. However, I am looking for a new ride and certainly agree that the newer BMW models ala: 7, 5, etc. have way to many gadgets in them, which eventually lead you to the dealer's service drive. (This is why we got the last year of the current X5).

I have been watching the M5board.com and there are some really happy folks, and then some really nasty nightmares, in terms of problems with technology. So now the question is..? 07' G55K or 07' BMW M5..? Yes, two TOTALLY DIFFERENT vehicles, but we have an SUV...Sooooooo..? Anyway, just rambling..! Maybe the 55, we will see. I know my contact at Benz would like to see me in the G55K. I will keep you posted, no pun intended.
#41804 - in reply to #41728
Author
Posted 8/29/2006 1:35 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

1996, to be fair people are having much better and more consistent luck with their 05's than the 02's. If you can afford an 05 or 06 you should consider it however it depends on your personality. I really like my 2000 and would likely buy another if i had to replace it because there are some subtleties to the interior and electronic which i prefer. But they are getting harder and harder to find. There are plenty of quirks to the old interior (like interior door handles people can't find in the dark), let there be no confusion there. but there are several things i find more practical and functional about the older interior... but there are plenty who find the new ones more practical. I like my bigger door buckets, under front seat storage, no ESP, manual transfer case, and the dash feels less swollen and no consol between the front seats means it's easier for someone to rest their head in your lap if... well... you know... they're tired or something.

Owning a 2000 requires a little more participation from the owner... in part probably because most people with the 2000 (and older) don't want to pay through the nose to have them serviced. If you're comfortable with Mercedes service rates then you could probably get away with no more participation than any other car, and the savings over a 05/06 would likely always leave you ahead in overall outpay... but it depends on what features you want.

On the older ones, all the electronics are from other cars (so there's very little new there), and the hardware... well that's almost un-changed from the new ones which the dealers still don't know much about anyway.
#41810 - in reply to #41728
Author
Posted 8/29/2006 10:07 AM
KERR

As they all said, also if I was to buy a another G ( which I would if I could swing a G 55) I would get the lowest mileage one I can or new one. The G are more of a fad car its seems like. You can probably find a 05 or 06 used and probably save $20K bucks and still have all the warranty. Its a lot easier to complain about a car as I have and put up with the problems when someone else is footing the bill. Also on a early model some say they are hard to find parts for. If you go with a early one you might be able to fix it yourself. I'm not sure when MB started with all the computer controlled stuff.

The last MB we had that had NO PROBLEMS was a 1995 S 500 It didn't even have "issues" after taking out a deer at 70 mph. Drive it 350 miles home. after it the list is a 98SL500 electrically challenged (still have it) 2000 S 500 that air ride issues and a few electrical problems, 98 CLK 430 (wife's) junk... motor replacement, 3 or 4 computers, the list was about as long as the G wagon. Then in we traded it back in on a the G which is now called the Junk wagon.

All that aside I would buy another G. I also feel most of my problems is my dealer sucks. what took me 12-14 trips to have fixed other members got it on the first trip. Toyota did this to me on my 98 supra. come to find out the service manager got a huge bonus from Toyotas at the end of the year if he cut the warranty repairs... im about 9000% Mb has my dealer on the same thing.

Back on your post. If you get a G get the newest model you can swing or at least a USA version with warranty on it so you can a extended one. It would really suck to get a 00-01 model. have a problem then the deal be a jerk off and tell you they don't work on non USA models. Which is what my dealer told a guy in town that use to have a 00 G 500.
#41844 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/30/2006 6:41 PM
ewalberg
Expert

i guess one major take-away from kerr's post is that if you're seriously considering an older truck you should check to see if dealers (or service shops) will work on an older truck. The two dealerships around me will work on it, as will independent shops.
#42158 - in reply to #41844
Author
Posted 8/30/2006 10:16 PM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

As you know I have a '99, '02, and '05. I have disposed of one '02 and will dispose of the second within the next 24 months. Nothing touches the '99 in terms of quality in my opinion. The '05 is a G55 and is very close. Brent said it best - the stout structure is the same but the crap on the '02's was a big mistake. Snap fit panels that snap off. Door handles that break, window regulators that las 6 months. TC switch and motor issues, Teleaid shorts, Eprom flashes, Front seats that don't go back. My '05 is trouble free but the '99 is still the sweetest ride with a real solidity that is missing from the newer models. Again this is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience with the 4 G's I have owned.

If I were looking one for today I would get a new one or a gently used '99/'00. And I still think the '00/'99 should be worth more than a new one.
#42217 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 8/31/2006 6:01 PM
1996_S500

MarcO - 8/30/2006 7:16 PM

As you know I have a '99, '02, and '05. I have disposed of one '02 and will dispose of the second within the next 24 months. Nothing touches the '99 in terms of quality in my opinion. The '05 is a G55 and is very close. Brent said it best - the stout structure is the same but the crap on the '02's was a big mistake. Snap fit panels that snap off. Door handles that break, window regulators that las 6 months. TC switch and motor issues, Teleaid shorts, Eprom flashes, Front seats that don't go back. My '05 is trouble free but the '99 is still the sweetest ride with a real solidity that is missing from the newer models. Again this is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience with the 4 G's I have owned.

If I were looking one for today I would get a new one or a gently used '99/'00. And I still think the '00/'99 should be worth more than a new one.

yea, this is what I have heard. Thanks for your thoughts Marco, as well as everyone. I think that when I get a G, it will have to be a nice 99 or 2000 G Class. I'm not sure if I will be able to afford a newer one anyway, so maybe it is better to stick with one of these. Thanks for all the help everyone. These cars are awesome.
#42351 - in reply to #42217
Author
Posted 8/31/2006 10:44 PM
AsianML

Regarding the post about why a G-Wagen needs 500 bhp.......you need that much power to move a brick that size.

Okay enough with the brick jokes.
#42396 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 1:19 AM
1996_S500

AsianML - 8/31/2006 7:44 PM

Regarding the post about why a G-Wagen needs 500 bhp.......you need that much power to move a brick that size.

Okay enough with the brick jokes. :cheers:

The G wagen is more than a brick. It is like an unstoppable tank. (Well, the 1999/2000 ones are like tanks.)
#42424 - in reply to #42396
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 1:40 AM
Thai

The MBUSA G's are just as tank-like as any G before it. Yes, the newer G does have more electronics...and 2002 was not it's best year. However, as Marco found out (the hard way), 2004-up G's are pretty damn good in build quality and reliability. My G has been spectacular in everyway...and i would put up my service records against any older G on this forum.

And unlike the old G's, i can easily get parts from any MB dealership without hassle.

Remember, the frame, suspension, and powertrain are all the same. Electronic bugs are pretty much gone.

And as for the benefits of the electronics, see: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html

"Many single-vehicle crashes involve rolling over, and ESC effectiveness in preventing rollovers is even more dramatic. It reduces the risk of fatal single-vehicle rollovers of SUVs by 80 percent, 77 percent for cars.

ESC was found to reduce the risk of all kinds of fatal crashes by 43 percent. This is more than the 34 percent reduction reported in 2004. If all vehicles had ESC, it could prevent as many as 10,000 of the 34,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year."

#42428 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 6:24 AM
ewalberg
Expert

every year of g-wagens sucks accept 2000. That's the only year they ever made a good one. From 1979-1999... all junk. since 2001... yup, junk again. I don't know what they did, but they sure did it right in 2000. It was a serendipitous moment when they put the leather and 5 liter motor with the manual transfer case and the multifunction steering wheel.... yes indeed. The 2000's get like 50mpg in the city.

#42451 - in reply to #42424
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 8:01 AM
Thai

Erik...how could it be best without ESP?!

And who the hell edited my post?!! I did not think that you could be banned for defending your ride against blatantly wrong generalizing statements?? Dutch proved me wrong.

Edited by Thai 9/1/2006 8:28 AM
#42462 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 9:42 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

With all due respect to Thai, I disagree. There are still subtle differences between my '99 and the latest offerings. I am not suggesting that the '04/'05 are bad but rather that IN MY OPINION the '99 / '00 was the best. We have been through this discussion before, the reasons why and I think it is fair to say that we both love our G's and we simply disagree on the best year. All of the G's are wonderful - some are more wonderful than others.
#42473 - in reply to #38920
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 10:45 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Not Banned

Thai - 9/1/2006 8:01 AM
I did not think that you could be banned for defending your ride against blatantly wrong generalizing statements?? Dutch proved me wrong. :uhoh:

FWIW, Thai, you were not banned. If that had been the case, you wouldn't be here now. You were given a "time-out" to allow you to cool down and come to your senses, so that you would stop attacking fellow members on a personal level. It could happen again.

We all have different opinions on many things, but there's no need to attack another member personally. We can agree to diagree agreeably here, or find another forum on which to post.
#42489 - in reply to #42462
Author
Posted 9/1/2006 11:55 AM
Thai

RE: Not Banned

DUTCH - 9/1/2006 9:45 AM

Thai - 9/1/2006 8:01 AM
I did not think that you could be banned for defending your ride against blatantly wrong generalizing statements?? Dutch proved me wrong. :uhoh:

FWIW, Thai, you were not banned. If that had been the case, you wouldn't be here now. You were given a "time-out" to allow you to cool down and come to your senses, so that you would stop attacking fellow members on a personal level. It could happen again.

We all have different opinions on many things, but there's no need to attack another member personally. We can agree to diagree agreeably here, or find another forum on which to post. :rollseyes:

WTF are you talking about Dutch?!! Stop with this BS. I did NOT attack anyone personally...you know that, Dutch. I disagree with someone and, rightfully so, defended my position against the MBUSA bashing. I did indeed attack his/her logic in coming to an odd conclusion given the facts. It was not personal. If it was, trust me, you would know it. I don't kiss ass anyone and i certainly won't hold back if you piss me enough.

I think that we should have another moderator with a MBUSA G. Because everytime these type of discussions come up, there is MBUSA bashing. This is ridiculous. We all have the same damn machine yet a few of these old G owners always come up with a reason to criticize something they do not understand. Sadly, some of the info (or "criticisms") are wrong. And when i do argue about it...guess what? I get a "time out."

It's sad because you don't see ANY MBUSA owners bashing the older G...I love all G's. We should respect each other's ride...esp. when things haven't changed much in over 25 years!

Don't get me wrong, this forum is great (so was Benzworld.org)...lots of good info and most people here are willing to help. Thank you, i really appreciate it. I help out whenever i can...i don't criticize or give info when i don't know what i am talking about though.

My opinion.

Edited by Thai 9/1/2006 12:10 PM
#42507 - in reply to #42489
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12