Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

Page 2 of 3 123
463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 9:14 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

Oh nevermind, the link works for me now. So, what is ESA?? Does that have something to do with the seat memory?? Or is it "emission system analysis"?? If so, then it's not anything important to the vehicle function as a whole. Same goes for the Teleaid module. Easily replaced if needed.
#30401 - in reply to #30396
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 2:29 PM
Smitty

Thai - 7/11/2006 9:14 AM

Oh nevermind, the link works for me now. So, what is ESA?? Does that have something to do with the seat memory?? Or is it "emission system analysis"?? If so, then it's not anything important to the vehicle function as a whole. Same goes for the Teleaid module. Easily replaced if needed.

I feel the same way. The 'Oh my God, think of the electronics!' argument doesn't hold too much importance to me. Sure they're under the seats, but they're several inches above the floor. You can have 3 inches of standing water in the vehicle without ill-effect.
#30430 - in reply to #30401
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 3:12 PM
KERR

Re: 463 dash speaker question, new sliders and other stuff

or you can have mine and have no water in the floor and its still a pos lol....

#30439 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 4:30 PM
Thai

KERR - 7/11/2006 2:12 PM

or you can have mine and have no water in the floor and its still a pos lol....

Kerr, your truck would break down even if you just look at it the wrong way!!
#30455 - in reply to #30439
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 4:34 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

The ESA is probably the airbag control module which is now broken... (sorry i couldn't help it... bad joke for sensitive ears... )

Past the windows!?!? It certainly would be nice to have a video of Smitty's experience to put up on a Hummer site for fording depth, that's awesome!

This is not a pissing contest about who's truck has more or less electronics. my intent is that i don't want someone to have an avoidable failure if it can be avoided, so it was a heads up. I have electronics under my seat. My amplifier for my stereo is under my seat, and i care about it. The good news is that it can be replaced, certainly, but i'd just as soon prefer not have to replace it for prolonged moisture exposure.

If anybody ever finds their carpets are wet... which is not that uncommon for any number of reasons, you can assumer that you might have some moisture under your seats which can last long enough to cause corrosion on the hardware (screws and bolts), so whether you don't want mold to form, corrosions on the hardware, potential damage to a CD changer or amplifier, or potentially some other computer system. I don't really care what's under there... just keep it in mind.
#30458 - in reply to #30401
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 4:40 PM
Thai

Smitty - 7/11/2006 1:29 PM
I feel the same way. The 'Oh my God, think of the electronics!' argument doesn't hold too much importance to me. Sure they're under the seats, but they're several inches above the floor. You can have 3 inches of standing water in the vehicle without ill-effect.

I don't understand the panic that some pre-MBUSA owners have written. It's just NOT cool to make it sound like a catastrophe was gonna happen if a single drop of water entered the cabin. Why is it that so many pre-MBUSA owners want to make their truck sound better by putting down others?? I don't get it. Is it buyer's remorse?

There is clear evidence that '04-up G500s are just as durable, capable, and reliable as any G before it. Even Marco, former MBUSA-basher, has come to realize his errors. I would even bet that all-weather driving and safety favor MBUSA G's.

In the end, we all have the same tough-as-nails truck underneath all the leather and wood.

Thank you.

Edited by Thai 7/11/2006 4:45 PM
#30459 - in reply to #30430
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 5:18 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
We're Digging the Same Darned Rut

And it seems to be the same diggers. If this continues, I'll freeze this thread. The next step is selectively removing access.
#30470 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 7:04 PM
DUTCH

Engine Air Intakes?

Smitty - 7/10/2006 4:05 PM

Water was over the hood and ~3 inches up the front side windows,

How did you keep it out of the engine air intakes on the sides of the front fenders?
#30484 - in reply to #30217
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 7:46 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
RE: Engine Air Intakes?

I think it's called a "bow wave"... the water gets pushed over the hood at the front (above the natural water level as the car moves forward) but dips down below the actual resting water level where the intakes would reside. i think i've heard that as long as you keep moving, you can technically ford deeper water than if stationary because of this effect.

Edited by ewalberg 7/11/2006 8:01 PM
#30489 - in reply to #30484
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 8:22 PM
Smitty

I don't know.

I was deathly afraid of hydrolocking the engine. I couldn't make any forward progress and I could only retreat ~5 feet. I kept rocking back and forth and as I did so, the water level would rise and recede. The truck was in a trench, with steeply-sloped banks to the left and right. The back and forth motion gained me nothing other than shifting the vehicle to the right. When the sidewalls of my right tires made contact with the right bank, I gained some purchase and was able to back out by steering to the right causing the rear of the truck to climb the bank high enough to get to less saturated soil.

I thought that I was definitely going to roll it over while backing out. Fortunately, the only immediate damage was some water in the cabin and a dent on the roof from striking a branch on the way out. I shut the truck off immediately and checked the air filters which were dry. At that time I noticed that my right intake tube came off of the airbox housing the filter.

The truck made it 30 miles to my house without a single hiccup. Only after it sat overnight did I receive voltage errors on the cluster.
#30493 - in reply to #30484
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 8:46 PM
Thai

Damn...you really tested the G to the limit!!!

Glad that you made it out in one piece.
#30494 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 9:07 PM
DUTCH

RE: I don't know.

Smitty - 7/11/2006 8:22 PM

I was deathly afraid of hydrolocking the engine.

That would have been an expensive little adventure. Glad you didn't!!
#30496 - in reply to #30493
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 9:29 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

CHECK ALL OF YOUR FLUIDS!!!
Unfortunatly, water found its way down the transmission fill tube and the vent for the front differential. I had enough water in the transmission that it killed the clutches. I had to rebuild the transmission!

and the air intake was dry...
#30497 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 8:53 AM
Smitty

Thank you, sir.

I appreciate the information. Thanks.
#30592 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 9:03 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

I would like to respond to the MBUSA bashing comment of Thai. I think there is a difference between bashing and truly constructive criticism. I always try to present a solution and not just the problem. I have purchased MB products in the past and recently. The sad fact is that MB cut corners with our G's with the inaugural '02 year. To wit: faulty window regulators, poorly designed and executed door panels, transfer case solenoid, buggy software (eprom flashing). Further, their training of their service personnel was actionable. I did not bash them. They succeded in doing this themselves. I, however, recognize that I compounded this by insisting that they make good on their promise because I was enraged by their failure to make good on the US birth of this vehicle. I pointed out repeatedly that others should not try this route as the ending was not a good one with one of my '02's. My '05 is a much better vehicle than my '02's (past and present), Thai. It is not as good as the '99. By any measure. MBUSA failed all of us miserably with the first couple of years of US G wagens and they have still not lived up to the execution that Europa/pre-MBUSA provided. Please remember that I have a 99 G that is a Europa/Wolfgang product and an 02 MBUSA/Dealer and an 05 MBUSA/Dealer product. I have pages of service orders on the '02, I have two pages on the '05 and I have NO issues on the 99. The 99 gets routine service and idles smoother, rides better (subjective) and is cheaper to keep even than the other G's on warranty. This is not bashing. These are the facts. They way to solve this problem is not to provide free service but to provide reasonable and efficient service that addresses issues head-on (not a felt covered wrench in the airbag frame). And also to fix and or replace all defective G's. I suggest that if we were so inclined (and I am NOT as I believe the company is working hard to correct past problems), that through the course of discovery the subpoena of MBUSA repair records for all '02/'03 G's looking at specific issues (supra) would provide for a very compelling story.

Sorry for the long post.
#30593 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 9:20 AM
Thai

Yet, i still hear of issues with pre-MBUSA G's...yes, even their windows fail too! In fact, there are many MBUSA owners on here and previous MB forum that do not have issues.

You have '05 G55k, right? The engines are different between your 1999 and 2005 55K! How can you even compare idling noise between the two?!! The ride is rougher on your G55k because of AMG. The G500's axles, springs, and shocks are comparable to earlier G.

Marco, just a month or so ago, you said that your '05 G has been perfect...and now it has 2 pages of service records???? Wow, that's a quick fall from grace! You praised your '05 G very much i remembered.

As for your previous "bashings", it is afterall your fault for continuing to drag on and on issues involving your Lemon '02 G500. I understand what you were trying to do...i do respect it (until you started to bash every MBUSA G falsely)...but you ASKED FOR more pain from your Lemon. MB did offer to buy back your G, right? But, you were determined to keep at it...all OK by me...but then you come on the forum to complain endlessly about your Lemon issues. How MB this and that...yet, MBUSA offered you a way out. You just did not take it and complained about it. In your attempt to talk bad about MBUSA (to get their attention??), you insulted just about every MBUSA owner's G...falsely. This is where i take issue with some members here.

Sorry, Marco for being all over you. I will retreat into my shell now....

Edited by Thai 7/12/2006 9:35 AM
#30595 - in reply to #30593
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 10:02 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Thai -

Re 05 G55K two pages of service still consider it perfect. There was a recall for all G55 and I had to bring it in - I had no complaint. It is running perfectly and it was. Let me see if I can respond so that you do not view me as insulting every MBUSA owner's G. Firstly, the description of the G ride is not comparing the different G's inappropriately. The slightly rough idle of the 55 is a close second to the swiss watch precision of the 99. It is not the noise it is the occassional idle wander of the 55 that never occurs on the 99. The ride is subjective and I love the 55 ride. However, the slightly firmer 99 (than the 02) is the real comparison (I point out that the SWB nature is possibly at work) -better is not smoother and rougher is not necessarily worse.

Finally, I hope I "insulted" no one. Pointing out the endless service issues in one '02 and seeing some significant similarities in the other one (please review the post where I cited specific issues for a reason) is not an insult. In fact, I am curious how I insulted others by noticing a trend in my experience and then simply pointed out how I dealt with it and what I did wrong. In fact, at no point did I do this to get MBUSA's attention - I already had their full attention and it is the major reason I still drive their product. An additional thought is that pointing out the foibles of an inanimate object is not insulting. I offered my opinion based on the actual owners experience. Remember, Thai, mine is not a theoretical discussion. I repeat, my discussion is not about the anecdotal reports. It is not about the shortcomings of the inherent design. It is about the pathetic execution of the '02 in my experience. I recognize that there are happy and problem free '02 owners out there. By the way I do not think I got a lemon in the non legal sense. I think most of the problem with the 02 came from a dealer who cut his teeth on this poor vehicle.

And never crawl back into a shell - it is the ability to talk about these things as enthusiastic owners that makes our day jobs more easy to tolerate.

#30599 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 10:54 AM
Thai

Marco...thanks for the reply. But, as you can see, you continue to falsely compare your '05 G55k and '99 G. You mentioned initially how your G55 has TWO PAGES OF SERVICES, yet you did not mention that it was for ONE recall involving ONLY G55k and it's engine. Two pages...was that because they use big fonts?!:D Come on, Marco, you need to be fair.

Your G55k is a supercharged engine with a totally different ECU programming. How do you even compare it to your '99 G with it's tiny little engine??!! They are not even remotely in the same category or design.

Ride? You said that your '99 is firmer, yet rides better? Is your G55K not firm?? How about handling? Is that part of your ride assessment too?

Just try and be fair in your writings, Marco. Please.

Edited by Thai 7/12/2006 11:03 AM
#30603 - in reply to #29853
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 11:04 AM
DUTCH

Thai, Let's Drop It!

I think MarcO pretty well explained his observations based on his own personal experience with four different G's.

As they say in a different, but related context: "Your mileage may vary". It doesn't mean that either one of you is wrong.

Enough already!
#30605 - in reply to #30603
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 11:07 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Actually Thai now you are being unfair. You wrote "services" I did not. I worte service (singular). Two pages is for the single service order and the description of parts, time, reprogramming. Your sarcastic font comment not withstanding, there was a recall and I complied and I signed a piece of paper that had two pages attached with parts and work order info. I also said which you have completely ignored that the 55 is and was perfect. Idle stability is subjective and objective. Please also remember I said that the real comparison I was making was my 99 to my 02 rides. Why are you so intent on discrediting this when you have absolutely NO experience with my two vehicles? My opinion is my opinion.

I guess I do not understand your taking this as insulting to you or other G owners? Do you work for MBUSA? Do you have a financial interest that you have not disclosed?

OK, Thai, you win. I suggest that the next time I post with a complaint about our precious G that you skip over it.
#30606 - in reply to #29853
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 3 123