Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Seafoamed the ML

Page 1 of 1 1
Seafoamed the ML
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/13/2008 6:15 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Seafoamed the ML

Well I did the Seafoam on the ML this Saturday. I decided to do both the crankcase and intake manifold. The valve tap is still there although it's much, much better than it was before. I'm thinking I might have to change to a slightly thicker oil weight later on.

I bought only one bottle when I should have bought two since I did more than one method. What I should have done was use half to maybe a full bottle of the Seafoam through the intake and a whole bottle for the crankcase. I ended up doing 1/3 bottle for the intake and 2/3 for the oil. As a result, not as much smoke as I expected (much less than I expected) and less than the videos you might see on Youtube.

After I did this the ML seemed much more eager to rev and just get up and go. Being a 3.2L V6 in a 5,000lb SUV, any change will be significantly noticeable and this was. I plan on doing it again probably this summer or next year when the next oil change is due and this time I'll put the correct amount through the intake.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-qQzBUErWWE 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/27/2008 1:22 AM
Tarydesign

Re: Seafoamed the ML

Has anyone else tried the seafoam?? Any other comments on the product?? Is it worth the money?? Why does it work??

AsianML, is there anything you haven't tried?? :-)
#106865 - in reply to #104767
Author
Posted 1/27/2008 9:51 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Seafoamed the ML

I put motor flush in mine to get rid of the sludge. My valve rattle has been no more. But, I was also prepared for the negative side of this, as well. I'm just glad it turned out okay for me. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios.
#106881 - in reply to #104767
Author
Posted 1/27/2008 12:34 PM
AsianML

cmitch - 1/27/2008 9:51 AM I put motor flush in mine to get rid of the sludge. My valve rattle has been no more. But, I was also prepared for the negative side of this, as well. I'm just glad it turned out okay for me. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios.
Yeah, it's pretty much one of those scenarios. There's a Seafoam craze going on right now on some other forums. Some swear by the stuff, some call it snake oil. However, I've only read positive things from people that have actually used it. There's someone on another forum that is going to do it on his BMW E30. He'll be taking the intake manifold off taking before pictures, doing the Seafoam, and then take some after pictures.
#106907 - in reply to #106881
Author
Posted 1/28/2008 12:43 PM
Marcelc

AsianML - 1/27/2008 5:34 PM

cmitch - 1/27/2008 9:51 AM I put motor flush in mine to get rid of the sludge. My valve rattle has been no more. But, I was also prepared for the negative side of this, as well. I'm just glad it turned out okay for me. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios.
Yeah, it's pretty much one of those scenarios. There's a Seafoam craze going on right now on some other forums. Some swear by the stuff, some call it snake oil. However, I've only read positive things from people that have actually used it. There's someone on another forum that is going to do it on his BMW E30. He'll be taking the intake manifold off taking before pictures, doing the Seafoam, and then take some after pictures.

I used to put Redex into gasoline engines to clean them up. Redex is similar to Seafoam.

It used to work quite well, I would remove the air cleaner and pour a trickle in whilst the engine was running, using the throttle to prevent it stalling, then when the inlet manifold area was wet enough I would stop the engine and leave it to soak overnight.

This is a messy procedure as clouds of white smoke are emitted for the first mile or so, but it did clean the inlet area and the combustion chamber. I wonder if it would reach the EGR tube.

Ideally it should not be necessary on modern gasoline engines as they burn much cleaner than in the (bad) old days, however, I still hear that EGR tubes can get blocked, etc. so maybe it's a good idea on engines with lots of miles on the clock.

Note this should never be done on a diesel engine as the engine will runaway to destruction and even on gasoline engines some people recommend changing the engine oil after a 'treatment'.

#107111 - in reply to #106907
Author
Posted 1/28/2008 4:09 PM
AsianML

Marcelc - 1/28/2008 12:43 PM
I used to put Redex into gasoline engines to clean them up. Redex is similar to Seafoam. It used to work quite well, I would remove the air cleaner and pour a trickle in whilst the engine was running, using the throttle to prevent it stalling, then when the inlet manifold area was wet enough I would stop the engine and leave it to soak overnight. This is a messy procedure as clouds of white smoke are emitted for the first mile or so, but it did clean the inlet area and the combustion chamber. I wonder if it would reach the EGR tube. Ideally it should not be necessary on modern gasoline engines as they burn much cleaner than in the (bad) old days, however, I still hear that EGR tubes can get blocked, etc. so maybe it's a good idea on engines with lots of miles on the clock. Note this should never be done on a diesel engine as the engine will runaway to destruction and even on gasoline engines some people recommend changing the engine oil after a 'treatment'.
Indeed. I changed the oil the next day. I would have done it the same day but it was getting dark and really cold.
#107136 - in reply to #107111
Author
Posted 1/28/2008 9:17 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

Marcelc - 1/28/2008 11:43 AM
I used to put Redex into gasoline engines to clean them up. Redex is similar to Seafoam. It used to work quite well, I would remove the air cleaner and pour a trickle in whilst the engine was running, using the throttle to prevent it stalling, then when the inlet manifold area was wet enough I would stop the engine and leave it to soak overnight. This is a messy procedure as clouds of white smoke are emitted for the first mile or so, but it did clean the inlet area and the combustion chamber. I wonder if it would reach the EGR tube. Ideally it should not be necessary on modern gasoline engines as they burn much cleaner than in the (bad) old days, however, I still hear that EGR tubes can get blocked, etc. so maybe it's a good idea on engines with lots of miles on the clock. Note this should never be done on a diesel engine as the engine will runaway to destruction and even on gasoline engines some people recommend changing the engine oil after a 'treatment'.

Hey, Marcelc! Long time, no see! Don't be such a stranger!  

#107208 - in reply to #107111
Author
Posted 1/30/2008 2:16 PM
sgtpepperaut

Date registered: Jan 2007

ok so now for the noob. what is seafoaming and what does it do lol?
#107483 - in reply to #104767
Author
Posted 1/30/2008 2:41 PM
AsianML

sgtpepperaut - 1/30/2008 2:16 PM ok so now for the noob. what is seafoaming and what does it do lol?
Straight from their site!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm 

A lot of people are still kind of uneasy about doing it on lower mileage engines. Mine only has a little over 60k but the valve tap was getting bad so I did it anyway. I wouldn't do it unless you have good reason to.  

#107489 - in reply to #107483
Author
Posted 2/5/2008 5:35 PM
Hanniep
New user

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle(s): 01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4

So AML how does it run now? Better gas mileage, less engine noise???
#108337 - in reply to #104767
Author
Posted 2/5/2008 6:12 PM
AsianML

Hanniep - 2/5/2008 5:35 PM So AML how does it run now? Better gas mileage, less engine noise???
Idle is smoother and engine noise is definitely less than before. Less valve tap than before as well. I don't know how gas mileage is since I never paid attention before the Seafoam. I never pay attention to it anyway. All I know is I have to fill up every 5 days.
#108338 - in reply to #108337
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1