Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : 2000 ML55 sound amplifier bypass

Page 1 of 1 1
2000 ML55 sound amplifier bypass
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/20/2008 5:29 AM
fkong777

Date registered: Dec 1899
2000 ML55 sound amplifier bypass

My audio just stopped working. My head unit worked correctly so I figure it must be the OEM amp. There was no fuse to the amp so I guess it blew. Since my headunit is aftermarket. (Avic-D3) I can wire the speaker straight to the Headunit. I bypassed the OEM amp, after about 1 hr of research on WIS and 1.5 hr of line testing and reconnection.

This is for 2000 ML55 with 4 speaker and Under driver seat subwoofer.

MB WIS - Sound Amplifier

I pull the OEM amp out and the part # is 163 820 18 89

It is located behind the dash. Go under and remove the under dash panel. Move the sound dampening material to access the amp. 1 10mm bolt mounts the amp to the firewall.

There is 2 harness to the amp.

Harness with 15 wires.

Signal from Head unit. (thinner gauge wires) (Bank B)

b8 Red & b10 gray = Right rear signal

b5 Blue & b12 green = Left Front signal

b6 Orange & b9 White = Right Front signal

b7 Pink & b11 Orange = Left Rear signal

To Speaker. (These are slightly thicker gauge wires) (Bank A)

a8 Orange & a7 White = Rear Front speaker

a12 Blue & a11 Green = Left Front speaker

a9 Red & a10 Gray = Right Rear speaker

harness with 8 wires

Pink & Orange wire = Left Rear speaker

If you map it out basically you match the color on the 15 wire harness. You will get one Orange wire left over that is not group together with the signal and speaker wires.

You have to match Pink & Orange with the 15 wire harness to the Pink and Orange on the 8 wire harness for the Left rear speaker. I found it odd they didn't put it to the same harness.

You will lose the under seat subwoofer.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/21/2008 4:25 AM
CelestialBar1

RE: 2000 ML55 sound amplifier bypass

Thanks for sharing... great job.

Can you please tell me on what side of the dashboard is the amplifier? I have a Right hand drive ML and I would like to bypass the amp as well. Thanks
#117876 - in reply to #110328
Author
Posted 4/21/2008 7:16 AM
Marcelc

RE: 2000 ML55 sound amplifier bypass

By the way, and this may not be relevant to the amp problem mentioned here, there are a number of fuses outside the normal fusebox or fuseboxes (there is an additional fusebox in the side of the footwell) on post 2002 ML's.

There are some high amp fuses where the ECU fan is (technically this is in the fuse box, but you have to remove the main cover which is fixed with Torx screws).

There are a few fuses behind the dashboard near where the amp is mounted, access can be either from the cover in the footwell behind which is the cabin air filter or by removing the glove box.

I don't know where these fuses are documented, perhaps in the WIS, but, I would look at them all first if I had a problem with the amp or anything else electrical.

#117881 - in reply to #110328
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1