Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : How is the safe way to wash down the engine

Page 1 of 1 1
How is the safe way to wash down the engine
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/26/2008 12:25 AM
Mklasse

Date registered: Dec 1899
How is the safe way to wash down the engine

It's been a since the last time I pop my ML engine hood, and one day when I do to do some checking (wiper fluids, radiator fluids, etc), I was surprised there were rats droppings on the engine cover

I removed the engine cover and wash them, vacuumed the remaining droppings that fell into the engine. I read online that the smell of their urine will invite them back. So I figured I have to wash the engine.

I've heard a lot of warnings not to wash down modern engines, especially European cars as there is a chance water ruining the electrical system or the ECU. I'm wondering how is the safe way to wash down my engine safely without risking electrical damage?

Anyone here has ever done it?

Or maybe anyone here also have suggestions to keep rats away from my engine compartment, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance guys

Edited by Mklasse 3/26/2008 12:27 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/26/2008 2:44 PM
Marcelc

RE: How is the safe way to wash down the engine

I would initially try washing down the engine with a watering can rather than a hose, I assume pressure hoses are the worst at putting water where it should not go.

I would also leave the bonnet (hood) up to allow quicker drying and I would not consider putting water on a warm engine.

Rats should be introduced to a combination of food (meaning poison), traps and small pieces of high speed lead, if possible, because they are liable to chew through wiring harnesses which could amount to a dreadful problem depending on where they attacked the harness and how much they destroyed.

When our house sitter allowed the gerbils to escape they hid underneath the washing machine and chewed through the cables - which was luckily fixable. Rodents seem very attracted to chewing cables.

Good luck!

#115248 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 3/26/2008 10:03 PM
Darkmann

When I did mine, I covered what I thought were delicate electronics, then sprayed some Simple Green and hosed down with a garden hose, low pressure no nozzle. Wiped down whatever I could and let the thing to dry with hood open. No problems at all.
#115291 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 3/27/2008 4:56 AM
Mklasse

Re: How is the safe way to wash down the engine

Thanks for the advice guys, will wash the car and the engine over the weekend. I'm putting sticky traps around the car right now, see if i catch some

@marcelc : Thats what i'm affraid the most, if they would chew through wiring harness, they are not cheap to replace!!
#115303 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 4/4/2008 9:02 PM
Darkmann

So, did you wash the engine? How did it go?
#116101 - in reply to #115303
Author
Posted 4/4/2008 10:54 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

Mercedes Benz of Huntsville told me to use 'Brake Cleaner'. They said it dried fast and displaced moisture. They told me to NEVER put water on that engine.
#116105 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 4/5/2008 4:30 PM
BeachAssault

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon

I've washed the 430 engine down regularly since a year or so after I bought it.

You just gotta do it right.  I spray a COLD engine down with a quick blast from the hose then coat it with a diluted (50/50) solution of SIMPLE GREEN.  Spray it everywhere and let it sit about 5 minutes - but DO NOT LET IT DRY.  Simple Green is bad for aluminum long term.  After 5 or so minutes I hose it off completely with the garden hose.  Spray it all off. Let it drain a few minutes and then start the engine and go for a drive.   Get the engine good and hot and it will evaporate all the water away.  NO DAMAGE RESULTS - but if you skip a step - who knows.  And the last thing you should do is hit a HOT engine with cold water.

The engine can take water - it lives outside.  I have been doing this literally for years without a problem.

#116140 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 4/13/2008 12:20 AM
Darkmann

I hope you haven't used brake cleaner yet. I wouldn't. Last time I used brake cleaner on plastic, the thing nearly ate through the plastic. It does dry fast but that's not the point. Try it on some rubber hose to gage reaction first. Personally, I'd stay away from spraying brake cleaner onto the engine. Most of us use water and haven't had any issues. It's a SUV, afterall, so I don't quite understand the concern with water getting to the motor!!!
#116903 - in reply to #116105
Author
Posted 5/13/2008 7:05 AM
Tarydesign

I also wouldn't recommend 'Brake cleaner', we have a product called 'Clean Green' and works well to clean engines without eating hoses etc etc. It also works briliantly in the windscreen water bottle, as it de-bugs the windscreen when used!! I have used this product for years in all my cars and never once has it caused any problems.

I also use a high pressure spray to clean the engine- BUT BE carefull to stay away from spraying INTO the ECU box. I spray into every corner and make sure the whole engine is clean before I stop.

FYI: The wading depth of the ML is 600mm.
#120183 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 5/21/2008 2:41 PM
texasdanml430

I am with Beach Assault. been doing it every six months or so. no problems.
FWIW
#120948 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 5/21/2008 4:12 PM
Marcelc

Tarydesign - 5/13/2008 12:05 PM

I also wouldn't recommend 'Brake cleaner', we have a product called 'Clean Green' and works well to clean engines without eating hoses etc etc. It also works briliantly in the windscreen water bottle, as it de-bugs the windscreen when used!! I have used this product for years in all my cars and never once has it caused any problems.

I also use a high pressure spray to clean the engine- BUT BE carefull to stay away from spraying INTO the ECU box. I spray into every corner and make sure the whole engine is clean before I stop.

FYI: The wading depth of the ML is 600mm.

Perhaps I am being too pedantic, but according to my instruction booklet the wading depth of my ML is 500mm, though this shouldn't be too much of an issue when washing the engine

You can bung up the front air intake (at least on an ML270) for deep water as there is at least one more air intake in above the wheel well liner.

#120976 - in reply to #120183
Author
Posted 5/31/2008 3:39 PM
w163ml

These are good instructions. However, I would add one more step if I were to do it. After covering the electronics and spraying cleaner on a COLD engine, I'd start the engine and use low pressure water spray to rinse off the engine, listening to the engine RPM while spraying, if there is any change in RPM I know the area I'm spraying is sensative to water and would go easy on that area.

Just be careful and don't get too close to the engine because the engine is running.

Usually I can get the engine cleaned before it even warms up.
#122428 - in reply to #115203
Author
Posted 6/1/2008 9:23 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

Darkmann - 4/12/2008 11:20 PM I hope you haven't used brake cleaner yet. I wouldn't. Last time I used brake cleaner on plastic, the thing nearly ate through the plastic. It does dry fast but that's not the point. Try it on some rubber hose to gage reaction first. Personally, I'd stay away from spraying brake cleaner onto the engine. Most of us use water and haven't had any issues. It's a SUV, afterall, so I don't quite understand the concern with water getting to the motor!!!

The area of concern was the front where I'd had a serious oil leak from the cooler. The MB mechanic said to never get water near the wiring harness or alternator, so, instead, use brake cleaner because this is what they use. He said it would not damage the wires and alternator as well as a good solvent for cutting the oil. I used it as he said and it did a fine job. I'd never use it around the coil packs or other plastic components. He said a common error people make on cleaning engines is getting water all over the coils, alternator and ABS box located under the windshield washer reservoir. This is why most dealers will not recommend engine cleaning. While most of us here may be sensible enough not to do these things, the average owner is a ham fisted novice that would spray water in the fuse box.  

#122513 - in reply to #116903
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1