Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Reminders as we Switch Seasons

Page 1 of 1 1
Reminders as we Switch Seasons
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/5/2008 8:00 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Reminders as we Switch Seasons

I was installing my summer wheels and tires this afternoon and thought to share a few reminders here as the season changes. Chime in with any tips please (FAR888 you don't have to worry bout this, LOL!!):

Doing rim/tire Change Over for Summer?

1. Get the right tools to do the job.
2. Inspect pads and suspension pieces when you take off each wheel. Also take a look at the tranny pan to make sure it's not wet with tranny fluid!
3. If you like, use a hose to spray off dried salt/sand/dirt that would have accumulated over winter.
4. Use some silicone spray grease on the poly bushings on the rear sway bar/anti-roll bar!
5. I usually spray all the rubber CV boots also with the silicone grease while the tires are off and everything is nicely exposed.
6. Clean wheels inside and out before installing. I also use a small screwdriver to "dig" out small rocks that had taken residence in my tire groves during the winter driving. I get them all out. If it's a nail that's actually sealing things, I leave it alone and have the tire repaired.
7. Even the OEM whell/tire package is pretty heavy, so lift carefully. If possible, get a wheel anchor like the sedans have. I'm still looking for one.
8. Maybe a good time to rotate tires - front to back for 4WD, I believe (as opposed to the X pattern for others).
9. Don't forget to install lug nuts using the star pattern. The recommended torque for my 05 500 is 110ft-lb. I go a tad higher to account for uncertainties in using a torque wrench you have no idea if it's calibrated.
10. If you have anything other than OEM rims (a lot of us do), then don't forget to keep a set of lugs in the car. This is because the OEM spare tire works only with the OEM lugs - just in case one of your 28 inch tires goes flat for some reason and you need to use the spare!
11. Record mileage at installation - it'll help remember when to do the next rotation.
12. Do a test drive at various speeds to make sure all is OK - alignment and balance mostly. You could loose a balance weight without knowing it, so test drive it!
13. One other thing I also do at this time is to use some leather cleaner/polish on the seats, especially the driver's side. I apply it on and by the time I'm done with two tires, it's ready to be wiped down. Keeps the leather fresh, and smelling nice too.

Edited by Darkmann 4/5/2008 8:01 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/6/2008 6:42 AM
Marcelc

RE: Reminders as we Switch Seasons

Darkmann - 4/6/2008 1:00 AM

I was installing my summer wheels and tires this afternoon and thought to share a few reminders here as the season changes. Chime in with any tips please (FAR888 you don't have to worry bout this, LOL!!):

Doing rim/tire Change Over for Summer?

1. Get the right tools to do the job.
2. Inspect pads and suspension pieces when you take off each wheel. Also take a look at the tranny pan to make sure it's not wet with tranny fluid!
3. If you like, use a hose to spray off dried salt/sand/dirt that would have accumulated over winter.
4. Use some silicone spray grease on the poly bushings on the rear sway bar/anti-roll bar!
5. I usually spray all the rubber CV boots also with the silicone grease while the tires are off and everything is nicely exposed.
6. Clean wheels inside and out before installing. I also use a small screwdriver to "dig" out small rocks that had taken residence in my tire groves during the winter driving. I get them all out. If it's a nail that's actually sealing things, I leave it alone and have the tire repaired.
7. Even the OEM whell/tire package is pretty heavy, so lift carefully. If possible, get a wheel anchor like the sedans have. I'm still looking for one.
8. Maybe a good time to rotate tires - front to back for 4WD, I believe (as opposed to the X pattern for others).
9. Don't forget to install lug nuts using the star pattern. The recommended torque for my 05 500 is 110ft-lb. I go a tad higher to account for uncertainties in using a torque wrench you have no idea if it's calibrated.
10. If you have anything other than OEM rims (a lot of us do), then don't forget to keep a set of lugs in the car. This is because the OEM spare tire works only with the OEM lugs - just in case one of your 28 inch tires goes flat for some reason and you need to use the spare!
11. Record mileage at installation - it'll help remember when to do the next rotation.
12. Do a test drive at various speeds to make sure all is OK - alignment and balance mostly. You could loose a balance weight without knowing it, so test drive it!
13. One other thing I also do at this time is to use some leather cleaner/polish on the seats, especially the driver's side. I apply it on and by the time I'm done with two tires, it's ready to be wiped down. Keeps the leather fresh, and smelling nice too.

What does a wet tranny pan signify? I am fine with everything else, which are timely reminders (except that we have just had our first snow of the winter today!), but I would be grateful for some more information about 'wet tranny pans'.

Thanks.
#116187 - in reply to #116147
Author
Posted 4/9/2008 8:07 PM
Darkmann

There is a connector from the electronic to the tranny and that connection with the tranny has a high potential to leak. It's a known problem and it has happened to me on my 01 E, my 02 ML320 and my 05 500. I found it out accidentally one day when I crawled under my 02 320 (it's lone gone, BTW) and was very surprised to find a very wet tranny pan. So, I kept an eye on the E - the E's actually dripped on my garage floor, so no crawling under. When the E's was fixed, I was assured that Mb had come up with a new design to fix this problem. By this time, the 320 was gone and so I wathched the 500 and yes, the leak eventually happened. Fixed under warranty a couple of years ago with the new stuff and so far I'm OK. So, crawl under the truck and inspect, therer should be no wetness anywhere!
#116538 - in reply to #116147
Author
Posted 4/10/2008 10:03 AM
Marcelc

OK, thanks.
#116573 - in reply to #116538
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1