Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : 2 wheel drive anybody?

Page 1 of 1 1
2 wheel drive anybody?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/21/2008 2:46 PM
texasdanml430

Date registered: Dec 1899
2 wheel drive anybody?

I love my truck, but 15 mpg is getting OLD. anybody try disconnecting the front drive shaft and plugging the front diff. to get better mileage? personally, i only really NEED 4wd a couple times a month. would it work? not looking for miracles, but..............
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/21/2008 4:45 PM
texasdanml430

Re: 2 wheel drive anybody?

ok, a quick look at wolfgang's page shows the transfer case is also 'open', which i think means that if i disconnect the front driveshaft, the vehicle wont move! 2 planetary gear drives..... almost be easier to just remove the transfer case, and get a custom driveshaft built to go from the tranny to the rear diff; but then no 4wd option, at least not without a whole day to switch it all out again.

wolfgang??
#120982 - in reply to #120949
Author
Posted 5/21/2008 5:33 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: 2 wheel drive anybody?

Rather than monkey around with a well tuned machine, how about just getting rid of it and buying a fake SUV? You'll screw everything up because your ABS system and traction control is designed for it's present use.

Your ML430 should get better mileage than that. 

#120995 - in reply to #120949
Author
Posted 5/22/2008 11:50 AM
texasdanml430

'thanks'...........

real helpful.............

frankly, i dont know how to make it get better mileage. plugs are fresh, maf is good, intake is clean, egr works fine, tires properly inflated, and aligned, brakes not dragging, etc etc; i drive it like a granny...does not make a bit of difference. still 15 mpg avg.

I dont want to sell it, and get a 'fake' suv.

so, just suck it up, and act like a fat-cat snob who doesnt care how much gas costs?
#121103 - in reply to #120949
Author
Posted 5/22/2008 12:26 PM
Marcelc

I removed my OEM wind deflector and get a little more than 1 mpg more since then, a good coat of wax polish seems to help as well.

Is the air intake filter newish?

Tried resetting the gearbox? This helps for a while.

That's all I can think of. The cost of fuel is not going to stop going up and I am not going to stop driving my ML, I enjoy it too much.

#121105 - in reply to #121103
Author
Posted 5/22/2008 12:35 PM
texasdanml430

thanks (really) marcel

are you talking about the air-dam spoiler on the bottom of the front bumper? might give that a try. or the one on the sunroof that pops up when
the sunroof is open? mine is toast already.

yes, intake air filter pretty fresh. resetting gearbox seems like 'true love';
doesnt seem to last.

wish i had a diesel, even though diesel prices are higher than petrol in USA.
i think i'd still come out ahead.
#121107 - in reply to #120949
Author
Posted 5/22/2008 2:08 PM
Marcelc

texasdanml430 - 5/22/2008 5:35 PM

thanks (really) marcel

are you talking about the air-dam spoiler on the bottom of the front bumper? might give that a try. or the one on the sunroof that pops up when
the sunroof is open? mine is toast already.

yes, intake air filter pretty fresh. resetting gearbox seems like 'true love';
doesnt seem to last.

wish i had a diesel, even though diesel prices are higher than petrol in USA.
i think i'd still come out ahead.

I had the OEM spoiler which was designed for the panoramic sun roof, even though I have the ordinary sunroof; it did make it quieter when open but not that much. The built-in sunroof wind deflector probably wouldn't make a measurable difference to fuel consumption but waxing the bodywork does.

Just for reference the standard tyre pressures for my ML are 32 front and rear unladen and, with considerable experimation, I've found 34 rear and 37 front measured cold and out of sunlight (this makes about 7lbs difference to the measurement) optimum.

Diesel produces better fuel consumption but less highway performance, I get about 21 to 22mpUS gallon over a tankful which is disapointing me as I used to get 23 but I don't do long highway distances and I don't consistently drive grannie-like. I may be driving to Scotland next month and we will see if I do better.

I'm afraid I have reacted negatively to all the pressure of being kind to the environment and the affects on my wallet and I'm just going to drive whatever the cost and make savings elsewhere if necessary.

#121119 - in reply to #121107
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1