Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class Treffens & Other G-Class Events : Europe/Africa

Page 1 of 1 1
Europe/Africa
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/31/2008 6:07 PM
dentsmithy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle(s): 1986 230Ge, , 1979 240gd cabrio, AD-SL
Europe/Africa

Just to let you all know what is happening elsewhere in the world:-

Some of you might know that I have a passion for the desert (see left Wink ) and am planing to go to north africa at some point over next winter. I wondered if there was any intrest in me setting up a GWOA tour around Tunisia including a 4 or 5 day dune crossing to Ksar Ghislane hot spring oasis. There are fantastic roman amphitheaters too. It would be a fully supported tour with ferries, hotels, food, cook/guide and all organised. It wouldn't be anything that a standard well maintained G Wagen couldn't do with decent all terrain tyres but would be the 'real thing'. I envisaged easy days with relaxed lunch stops and suitable for families too.

Itinery would be something like:-

Channel Ferry
600miles to Marseilles or Genoa (depending on which day we need to travel)
Ferry to Tunis (22hrs)
Drive south to hotel(5*) with a fantastic souk
Drive south to spend first night in desert camping
4 or 5 day dune crossing with camping
Cultural drive back to tunis (2 or 3 days)

I'm just looking for feedback at the moment - if you have any interest let me know numbers and prefered dates.

So Far:-
Me
Mark
Howard +family
Max +family
Russ + family
Twodogs
Fred + Family
Shauny + Dawny
Graham Bogie ( in an unmentionable)

provisional/wanabee Wink

Tyreman
Roly
Mr + Mrs Jeremy ( no caravan though)
SpiderIV

Here's a detailed itinery :-

4th April - 19th April ex Marseilles
You will need to get yourself to Orange or Marseille independently or in small groups if you wish, but given different vehicles, time constraints , driving styles etc a large convoy would be impractical.
ideally arrive in Orange, north of Marseille, friday 3rd April evening for overnight stop in travel lodge type hotel. Orange has a fantastic Roman amphitheatre and some smart shops. This is approx 600miles from Dunquerque and you probably need to allow at least 10 hours for this leg.
We all need to be on the ferry together on Saturday 4th April, check in by 10am - if you want to drive straight there thats ok, just a bit of a push and you wouldn't want to miss the boat..
Overnight ferry to Tunis (22hours approx) in private cabin with a sea view and ensuite facilities. There is a good restaurant on board and for, I think, 25 euros you get a 3 course meal and a voucher for a full breakfast. There is also a cafeteria too but there isn't, or wasn't any food available untill around 6pm so it's a good idea to pick up a few bits on the friday. Orange has shops, intermarche etc. but there is nothing in the port.
Sunday 5th arrive in Tunis - the ferry can dock anytime after 12 noon but can be as late as 6pm
It's worth stating now that once we enter the port in Marseille we are at the mercy of the French beurocracy Twisted Evil and as such if the man who oils the doors on the boat decides to go for a pee everything stops - once on the ferry we are on 'Africa time' and at that point you must throw your frustrations into the mediteranian - things happen when they happen but it all seems to work out in the end - sit back and enjoy Cool !
After clearing customs: ) buying insurance and changing some money( you can't get it outside Tunisia) we need to drive to the fuel station to fill up with cheap fuel - expect around half UK price.
Then we head south along the coast road (toll) then inland to Kairouan to La Kasbah 5*hotel. After settling in you can get your first experience of north africa, looking around the souks and markets or just have a coffee in the street cafes.
Dinner in the licenced restaurant and off to bed.
Because the hotel is next to the holiest mosque in africa you will be woken at daybreak with the call to prayer. Go back to sleep.
Breakfast at a civilised time, then a couple of hours to explore the town some more.
In the afternoon we head south again,over the mountains and out onto the edge of the Chott el Jerid, still on fairly good roads to kebilli, where we can have a look around this ancient slave trading town and fill up with fuel before going on to the first nights camping. Here we will meet up with our guide and chef for the desert crossing.
There will be a traditional meal and some music and dancing under the stars.
From here it is a 4 or 5 day dune crossing to Ksar Gislane 'oasis'
This is all wild camping and we will need to be self sufficient, but still civilised - all meals will be provided and cooked for you but you will have to pitch your own tent Wink
After the crossing there will be 2 'flexible' days when you can luxuriate in the air conditioned tents or just head off into the dunes for some solitude - a bit of space to enjoy the place.
From here we can have a further 2 nights camping crossing to Tatouine.
Then head north, via Rommels's bunker to Sousse, with it's fantastic souk, the roman amphitheatre at el Jem etc staying in hotels on the way back to the ferry on the 18th April.

This is the basic schedule though I do need to plan the latter half in more detail.
It would also be possible for those with more time to stay on an extra few days or a week- if there is enough interest we can set this up.

I will go into detail about customs requirements later.

The dates for the ferries are not published yet and it may be that to come back on the Saturday we have to sail to Genoa but that would just add to the adventure - will keep you posted.
I will work out the prices based on you only having to pay for your fuel and any additional accomodation in France other than that in Orange.

The emphasis is on having a relaxed time, not rushing etc but the desert crossing is not to be underestimated - it is difficult driving especially if the sand is freshly 'blown' and dry.

Edited by dentsmithy 5/31/2008 6:22 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1