Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/5/2008 2:28 PM
Marx
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230 GE /1989, 300 GE/1984,300GD/1980,280GE/1984
body roll

I need some advice to help improve extensive body roll on a 270 cdi ML. Does anybody perhaps know if there is a different Mercedes Benz shocks and Coils to improve /or make the ride firmer to eliminate body roll on the vehicle .At the moment the car has standard shocks and coils ..I have tried the agents they seem very reluctant to make any changes,but to stick to the original and suggested a new set of shocks and coils. The car seemed to be to low in the front ,we jacked up the front torsion bars which made a significant improvement especially over bumps ,but the owner still feels he would like to eliminate some body roll .I was wondering if fitting a 430 or 500 ML set of coils and springs would improve things ?
Maybe one you of you know if anyone has had the same experience and done a conversion ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/5/2008 3:38 PM
Marcelc

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: body roll

I fitted Bilstein shocks (B6) to the front of my ML270 and almost all the body roll disappeared. The shocks were very (too) hard for the first 1K miles but, after that, they softened up and are fine, the ride is firmer, the steering more stable and there is very little body roll. Cornering speeds are increased but, more importantly, cornering stability is much better. There is more road feel but there is also a little less comfort on long, and bumpy, UK motorway journeys. It will probably feel fantastic on French motorways.

I am so happy that I have just bought Bilstein (B6) rear shocks and hope to get them fitted this week by my local garage as dismantling the coil springs looks too dangerous for me. I changed the front shocks myself (after a big operation on my right arm), the most difficult thing was removing the wheel well liners. Mercedes dealers here will not fit Bilstein shocks.

The valving on Bilstein seem to be more European, whereas the OEM shocks seem to be the stereotypical (and probably wrong) image of softer US suspension; there is certainly now no hint of the floating feeling that I used to have on smooth roads.

If you wait a week or so I will report back on my impressions of Bilstein rear shocks.
#128607 - in reply to #128606
Author
Posted 8/11/2008 11:49 AM
Marx
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230 GE /1989, 300 GE/1984,300GD/1980,280GE/1984

Thank you for your input,I am just wondering if this will have any influence on the warranty of the ML?
#128987 - in reply to #128606
Author
Posted 8/21/2008 9:35 AM
Marcelc

Date registered: Dec 1899

Marx - 8/11/2008 4:49 PM

Thank you for your input,I am just wondering if this will have any influence on the warranty of the ML?

I am not sure of what you mean by warranty - is your ML still under manufacturer's warranty?

As I was able to persuade my favourite Merc. dealer to install the Bilsteins on the rear, I assume they were not too worried about fitting them although the invoice states that Merc. don't accept warranty for the rear shock absorbers.

I have done about 400 miles since they were installed and am very happy indeed. The ride is a little harsh at town speeds (Audi-like if you know what I mean) but fine above 40mph and it is likely the shocks will soften up after a thousand or so miles.

The ML now drives as a £40K vehicle should, steering and cornering are precise and the car has that solidly planted 'feel' which is both pleasant and reassuring. Much of yesterday's drive was in the wet on English country lanes and it didn't slip once in spite of some spirited cornering. Body roll is further diminished to negligible amounts unless the corner is a very long one. The ride quality and stability at highway speeds is excellent.

I would recommend Bilstein (B6 sport shocks) to anyone who is not happy with body roll, stability or cornering.
#129661 - in reply to #128987
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1