Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Buying a 2002 ML270 but may have turbo problems

Page 1 of 1 1
Buying a 2002 ML270 but may have turbo problems
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/2/2008 1:39 AM
stumo

Date registered: Dec 1899
Buying a 2002 ML270 but may have turbo problems

Hi, new potential owner here. (I posted this on different forums, but only got silly/weird/no replies so far) so I am trying here too - I noticed through searching that there are a few ML270 owners on here.

I'm in the final stages of handing over a wad of cash on a MY2002 ML270 CDI. I had it mechanically checked and the report says that there is a noise from the turbo when the engine is cold. When it is warm it runs perfectly and no noise. It has done 235,000km(145k mi)

So everything on the car is perfect, even the engine has zero blowby and no odd colours of smoke from the exhaust. It runs well with heaps of torque. trasmission has a slight backlash coming off overrun to power, but the testers said that was ok.

So assuming at worst it would need a new turbo, is this fairly straightforward to DIY? Is there a WIS available for it?

Thanks for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/6/2008 9:42 AM
Marcelc

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Buying a 2002 ML270 but may have turbo problems

I, personally, would not consider that a DIY. If you did it DIY there would be no guarantee on the turbo which is an expensive bit.

My turbo made a noise on idle once, it sounded like the end of a vane touching something, it went away when warm and has not reappeared even though it was several thousand miles ago.

I would ask a reputable dealer (sometimes not easy to find) how much it would cost to replace the turbo and, if it is OK, just drive it until the turbo gets too noisy.

Good luck!
#131054 - in reply to #130715
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1