Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!

Page 1 of 1 1
Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/2/2008 5:31 PM
graham savage

Date registered: Dec 1899
Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!

SO... I've read the lot and searched the rest.

I have a 2000 ML 270 (Pre facelift - two tone) down in sunny south africa BUT amoungst other problems that have been sorted out recently (185000km) like the new turbo, diesel pump, injector rail or something - not cheap!

I have my dealer stumped and they dunno what it wrong - all of a sudden my key fob stops locking and unlocking doors - nada and then I noticed that at that very same time the front fog lights stopped working - I took it down to the dealer, told me they dunno and will have to book it in but they are fully booked for 4 weeks... so I was locking the car with the switch on the cetre consol and quickly closing the drivers door - obviously that has destroyed the door lock actuator, which I pulled out today and it's toasty - new one is ordered (thier workshop is still fully booked) so I went poking around to try figure out the probo...

Oh and I have tried to recode or re sync the keys a few times - ignition to position 2, off, out hold lock yada yada not getting anywhere...

Anyways, I started with the fog lights - the switch works, tested with a multimeter and gave it a clean up - the rear fog works but not the fronts, so I swapped out the relays - no go - I find power on the pins, if I bridge the two big pins the light come on (with teh headlights on and ignition on) if I earth the smaller pin with the relay in the relay switches and the lights come on.... so I belive there is an issue betwwen the switch and the relay - any ideas?

With the door story - I see that all the door actuators work barring the passenger rear - it's sort of iffy but I concluded this by noticing that evry door I open illuminates the interior lights - is that a good test? :-) I say the rear passeger door is iffy as I ave noticed when I drive the car over 20km/h it doesn't always lock and makes the other dorrs machinegun a bit...

So My questions, Are these two items linked (Fog lights and key fob)? how can I test which actuators need replacing and is a faulty actuator responsible for the key fob/alarm to stop working? Oh and another thing on the key fobber - I can still start and drive as normal - just no lock/alarm and unlock

HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP MY dealer is useless and expensive!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/2/2008 6:11 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!

AAM? (All Activity Module).
#130774 - in reply to #130770
Author
Posted 9/2/2008 6:38 PM
graham savage

Where would I find that? Can it be repaired/replaced by me?
#130775 - in reply to #130770
Author
Posted 9/3/2008 11:41 AM
cmitch
Expert

First of all, you need to make sure. Unfortunately, if that is the problem, it's an issue only the dealer can address. I believe you are lucky to have a 2000 model, since I think that was the first year of the AAMII. The AAM was separated from the DAS (drive authorization system).
#130828 - in reply to #130770
Author
Posted 9/6/2008 9:53 AM
Marcelc

I would look for another dealer, the nearest one to me is a real cowboy, very expensive, swaps out parts uneccesarily, does bad workmanship and cheats both customers and the Mercedes warranty system.

I found another dealer somewhat further away who are a long established firm with very low turnover of staff, they give me 40% discount on labour and 20% on parts as my car is more than 6 years old and they do a perfect job every time.

I am even happy to go there and spend the money as I know there is going to be no stress and arguments involved.
#131055 - in reply to #130828
Author
Posted 9/11/2008 1:38 AM
graham savage

Re: Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!

Well it is at another dealership today, they gonna check it out and let me know. I am told that the car does have a AAM2 and DAS system separate :-) R4000 for a new AAM2 (roughly US$600 hehehehehe)

Another question I have is I took teh beast off roading last weekend - very impressed again with the capabilities of this "softroader" as they call it here but I managed to get a puncture and had to put the biscuit spare on and drive 60 odd km to the nearest town - HOW does the car know that I had the spare on and not allow me to exceed 90km/h???
#131415 - in reply to #130770
Author
Posted 9/12/2008 2:24 PM
cmitch
Expert

Re: Key Fob & Fog light problem HELP!

graham savage - 9/11/2008 12:38 AM Well it is at another dealership today, they gonna check it out and let me know. I am told that the car does have a AAM2 and DAS system separate :-) R4000 for a new AAM2 (roughly US$600 hehehehehe) Another question I have is I took teh beast off roading last weekend - very impressed again with the capabilities of this "softroader" as they call it here but I managed to get a puncture and had to put the biscuit spare on and drive 60 odd km to the nearest town - HOW does the car know that I had the spare on and not allow me to exceed 90km/h???

The ML's have wheel speed sensors that help the traction system function. THAT is how it knows.

#131509 - in reply to #131415
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1