Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Beware: As with any good indy mechanic

Page 1 of 1 1
Beware: As with any good indy mechanic
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/23/2008 8:57 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
Beware: As with any good indy mechanic

When they get good, too damn good to do their own work, they hire ham fisted incompetents to do the work for them. It looks like my 11 year relationship with my indy has ended with my latest radiator fiasco.

Ever since I took my ML in to have the AC done, I've had a nagging slow radiator leak I couldn't find. Suspecting it was hoses, at first, but that turned out to be a no. Then, last night, after pulling the 99ML into the garage, I decided to chase it down. I noticed a seepage coming from the reservoir hose into the radiator. Thinking it was the hose seeping at the clamp point, I remove it and cut 1 inch off and replace it. I tightened it down and before I could walk off, I hear a gushing and splattering of coolant on my garage floor. The nipple that is on the plastic radiator is completely off, inside the hose, and I'm losing the coolant. After it all bled out into a hastily placed pan, I noted that the nipple had been cracked and a good long time. It was hanging on by a small portion at the bottom, indicating that upward pressure had been applied to break it. When I got it out of the hose, I noticed 'redneck tracks' on the broken nipple in the form of screw driver pry marks where the fool removed the hose to get it out of his way to work on the A/C line.

Needless to say, I'm quite screwed. I opted for a 'red neck' fix of my own and epoxied the nipple back on with JB weld. I checked it this a.m. and it seems like it's going to work. I'm letting it set until this evening and I'll put it back together. If it doesn't hold up, I can try drilling out the hole and threading a fitting in it. It's either that or a new radiator.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/23/2008 12:56 PM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350
Re: Beware: As with any good indy mechanic

Sorry to hear that, but I can relate. My really good mechanic finally set up his own shop so that he could get away from this kind of #$%! He does his own work and does an excellent job. No shortcuts on service and reliable.
#139032 - in reply to #139013
Author
Posted 12/25/2008 11:28 PM
am_beagle

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle(s): 08' ML350 ; 07' RDX; 03' Murano-Traded
RE: Beware: As with any good indy mechanic

sorry to hear about that. it's happened all of the time, especially when one is not ... prepared . the good thing is you has been able to find out the culprit.
#139140 - in reply to #139013
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1