Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Rear tie rods? Secret alignment codes?

Page 1 of 1 1
Rear tie rods? Secret alignment codes?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/9/2009 3:46 PM
teffy98ml320
New user

Date registered: Aug 2008

Rear tie rods? Secret alignment codes?

We had a steering problem with our 1998 ML-320. It felt like the vehicle would drift slightly and need a small quick turn on the steering wheel to correct the course. The dealer said it was tie rods. The service receipt says "C/S ML drifts from left to right while driving. Replaced both rear tie rods and tires. Aligned vehicle."

Five months later, we felt vibration in the steering wheel when driving on a smooth surface. We looked at the tires to find that the inner 40% of both front tires are smooth as a baby's butt, with some of the steel cords protruding. 3/16” of tread remains on the outer portions. The local tire store will put on new front tires, but claim they are unable to align the vehicle. Something about computer codes.

I am suspicious that something done, or not done, at the dealership led to this severe tire wear. Am I just paranoid?

What’s up with computer codes and alignment? Are these codes some Mercedes secret?

Should we take the vehicle, with the new front tires, back to the dealer for alignment? Or, can we just periodically check the tires for uneven tread wear?

It never occurred to me that there would be tie rods on the rear. I thought tie rods were only on the front -- for steering. Please educate me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1