Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : The G --> GL Question?

Page 1 of 2 12
The G --> GL Question?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 6:17 PM
Braingears
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
The G --> GL Question?

The real question is... how many people will trade-in & sell their G500 for the new GL450?

I have always suspected that when a newer model came out, most of the "show offs" and soccer moms would trade-up to the newest model. Most of these individuals have never taken their existing G-Wagons off-road, and never plan to. They are going to prefer the smoother ride, quiet interior, and better sound system. They will easily trade-up the boxy & unique look for the additional fuel economy.

The existing G-Wagons have been built to outlast them all. The majority of these are still in Great shape. Once the factory warranty is over, the prices will come down again too. I am planning on taking advantage of their ignorance...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 6:41 PM
Braingears
Expert

RE: The G --> GL Question?

I looked up a 2004 G500 with 30,000 miles on Kelly Blue Book

Kelly Blue Book - trade in value
Excellent $48,075
Good $45,515
Fair $40,990

Kelly Blue Book - private party sale
Excellent $53,995
Good $51,115
Fair $47,210

You can just about trade in a two year old G-Wagon for a brand new GL450.
How many people will make the switch?

#10044 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 7:44 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

Braingears - 5/6/2006 6:17 PM

The real question is... how many people will trade-in & sell their G500 for the new GL450?

I have always suspected that when a newer model came out, most of the "show offs" and soccer moms would trade-up to the newest model. Most of these individuals have never taken their existing G-Wagons off-road, and never plan to. They are going to prefer the smoother ride, quiet interior, and better sound system. They will easily trade-up the boxy & unique look for the additional fuel economy.

I've been giving it some thought.

NOT!
#10052 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 8:38 PM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
Re: The G --> GL Question?

Not me - but I do think the GL is a decent SUV. I'd recommend it before the ML and the G for most normal car people. I'm a car nut - so the G is for me.
#10064 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 12:58 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Braingears - 5/6/2006 3:17 PM

Not me. But I do think you're right about who will be trading in the G's for the GL. I would rather take a Dodge Ram Quad Cab HEMI or a 4 door Jeep Wrangler over the re-bodied R-class renamed GL monstrousity.

But that's just me.
#10171 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 1:01 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899

For the price, i would probably get Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus GX470. Both have creature comforts, but still have the off-road equipment standard.  And both will likely be more reliable than the new GL.

Edited by Thai 5/7/2006 1:02 AM
#10179 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 10:32 AM
TheDogsCar
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '05 G55K Firemist Red - Stolen

Braingears - 5/6/2006 6:17 PM

The real question is... how many people will trade-in & sell their G500 for the new GL450?

I have always suspected that when a newer model came out, most of the "show offs" and soccer moms would trade-up to the newest model. Most of these individuals have never taken their existing G-Wagons off-road, and never plan to. They are going to prefer the smoother ride, quiet interior, and better sound system. They will easily trade-up the boxy & unique look for the additional fuel economy.

I went to my local MB Dealership to see the new GL. Proportion wise, I think it looks better than the ML, but I have zero need for a third row of seats.

I asked if they are sending their trade-in G55K's to auction, since I have not even seen one certified G55K on their website? They told me they have not taken any in on trade so far .... but two G55K customers have ordered the new ML63 and are expected to trade when they are delivered.

So it looks like it has already started ... and if you are not just in love with the design of the G, and almost never go off-raod, then the ML/GL makes much more sense price wise, comfort wise, ride wise, gas mileage wise, noise wise, service wise ... but I still prefer the G, since love is blind afterall
#10270 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 10:53 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

TheDogsCar - 5/7/2006 10:32 AM

I still prefer the G, since love is blind afterall :boink:

Ain't that the truth!
#10272 - in reply to #10270
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 11:13 PM
Braingears
Expert

I don't think that anyone on this forum would ever consider trading to the GL. Although I think that some people on this forum will take advantage of the prices coming down...
#10545 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 2:10 PM
G350DT

My father, who loves my G230 and a run about, went Saturday to look at the info on the new GL. He really liked it. sitting on the floor was a BEAUTYFUL G55 AMG. (Dad has a Lexus GX470 has about 2000 Miles) so for kicks he decided to take the (it was a demo with about 3500 miles on it I forgot to say) G55 for a bit of a test drive. Well that was mistake #1
Mistake #2 was they had a price of $95,900 on the thing.
Mistake #3 they offered him to much money for a trade for the Lexus like $44,000
So dad calls me on Saturday to run over to pick up my bday present (no not the G) as Sunday I got old and hit 40
So lookie there. He is now a G owner.
His comment was when you work your whole life and retire you too can have one of these.
I told him I did remember, His reply was MINE HAS AC
so in one sence I am happy as hell he joined the club my I am so GREEN with envy someone stuck me in a pot and watered me,
Pics soon...
#10732 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 2:52 PM
KERR

I went to the open house deal on the GL on Saturday. They sold 4 on Saturday, Well sold orders. The GL is a grate "value" if your in the market for that big of a vehicle. But once you get the options on the GL that most G500 have your push $75K. So you have ask your self what are u going to use it for and how much do you want to loose. $54k for a base model GL or $54K for a loaded denali? While i understand why Mercedes does this with there cars now so they can sale more and let the buyer decide on which options they want. When we where looking for G's in 02 I think my options where color, phone, tow package, 6 disk changer, brush guard. Now they have like 4 pages.

All that being said I would buy one for the wife if we had the money. I also feel this will be a huge fad car for most people. While it looks huge it does not have the room of a burban, or expedition, 3ed row seats are useless if you have kids in a stroller (I do) and I feel some the high dollar options should be standard like the 3 zone air. Mb should know from the G wagon that your passenger either freeze or burn up in the back.
I don't think to many people will go from the G to a GL. I don't see that many moms driving the G's.

on a side note the dealer said that all 4 where sold to women and two of them ask if they could get 20" YO.. ( I aded in the YO )
#10775 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 7:19 PM
Thai

For $54K, i would not get a Denali! GMC does not equal to luxury or anything worth $54K. For $54K, you can get a fully-loaded GX470 with KDSS suspension (relaxes antiroll bars in off-roading for more wheel travel). Luxury + comfort + pretty darn good off-road capability. Or you can spend $5K more and get a Toyota Land Cruiser.

My opinion.
#10882 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 8:15 PM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

For $35K you can get this:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/05october/superlift/...

And supposedly this was going to be the next G-class.

Edited by BrentG500 5/8/2006 8:16 PM
#10919 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 8:06 AM
G350DT

But its a Jeep!@!
My wife had a Jeep and from day one it was junk.
May of just been hers but it went through 2 engines in the first year. They said it was a fault that they had that year.
My wife now drives a LR Discovery. Other then the gas issue (15 mpg) she would never own anything but a Land Rove. Except for a G
#11166 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 1:12 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

You would think that the prices would go down, however, I have discovered that this is not the case. I'm pretty chummy with our local MB dealership, our family sales guy has progressed over the years to become the sales manager and has always treated us extremely well. Recently we were discussing one of his young sales guys ignorance on the G-Wagens, (He unknowingly tried to convince me that I should trade in my old G-Wagen for the new version(see GL crap wagen)) . Anyways, he was telling me that although the brand new G-Wagens don't sell that well, used versions in the mid 40 to mid 50k range are impossible to keep on the lot. The biggest problem with selling the new ones is the pricepoint. He says they daily get calls and emails asking if the dealership has any used G's on the lot. Other dealerships even come calling looking for lease returns and trade ins. Their auction buyers even look for G-Wagens to buy and bring in as they are such a hot commodity. Funny, I wonder if MB dropped the price on the G-Wagen 15 k how many more we would see onthe streets. They have a distinct belief that if a semi stripped G Wagen comes to the US preferably outfitted with the diesel even in California as they believe it will, unit sales will grow exponentially. The market is there, it just isn't being catered to correctly...
#11281 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 4:33 PM
KERR

True the $54k for a GMC denali does not have the quality of the build but by the time you ad in the rebates, and discount the $54K denali is really in the $45-48K range. Lexus and toytoa dealers do not budge on price. Its full MSRP or walk at least the 3 i have been too within 200 miles of here. Needless to say we have walked a few time.

I think the sales man is crazy, I have a 02 G500 i have been looking to trade for months. MB delaers dont want used G' around here. Im sure it has a lot to do with location... as a mater of fact i ask if they would treat me good if i traded in the my G on GL, The sales man said you would be better trading in your nissan.
#11362 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 7:28 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

California is a different sort of market Shawn. I think it is more often about the look than anything else and a late model G certainly has "the look", the look of money that is The rest of the country is often more practical I think. 13 mpg and probably a poor set of ratings from Consumer Reports, not to mention a big step in, narrow cabin, trucklike driving behavior and it just isn't appealing. In most locals I think used G's are pink elephants.

Somebody brought up the G55's and the upcoming ML63. THAT to me is the more likely trade we will see. The AMG buyer is much more likely, IMO, to make a short term jump in ownership. They may also be more willing and able to accept lower trade values to get the newest rig. Bargain G55k's anyone Wouldn't that be sweet.

#11425 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 5:07 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

Kerr,

Let me know the parameters of your vehicle and the ype of GL you are looking for. I can ask the guys at my dealership what they can do. They are about 5 minutes from my office.
#11613 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 6/3/2006 1:36 AM
TheDogsCar
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '05 G55K Firemist Red - Stolen

MBUSA sold 2,545 GL last month (it's first full month of sales) ... some percentage of that has to be G trade-ins
#18823 - in reply to #10041
Author
Posted 6/3/2006 9:50 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

i think asigning practicality to the rest of the country as the reason used g's aren't popular elsewhere is pretty far off considering the prevalence of american trucks throughout the country given their relative lack of practicality given they are no more likely used for their intended purpose as well. I think demographics is probably the culprit here. To exagerate my point If you live in redneck country (kerr has told a number of stories which makes it sound like they're his neighbors), the desired "look" just wont be in a benz, it'll be in an american truck. The "look" where braingears is located is anything expensive where people often have an ill placed love of mercedes... which is actually why i used to not like mercedes. Until i looked into the g-wagen, i never knew mercedes had been reliable at one time. Like a good greenie in california i saw mercedes as a needlessly expensive, pretentious, impractical, and unreliable brand. But the g-wagen captured me...
#18980 - in reply to #11425
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12